Hi to all our members ... We  would just like to draw your attention to the latest post on the following link... Thank you for your attention .If you have already responded to my note  on Chatbox  about this please ignore this sticky note ... Thanks  folks ....

http://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/46369-important~-the-forum-its-future-and-finances/

Clicker and Ryewolf   ADMIN TEAM 

Regretfully we have to once again ask members for  some financial support in order to  keep TIPF  running till December 2023. The more pledges we have to become  FRIEND OF THE FORUM  the less the individual cost will be so  if you want this Forum to continue  please follow the link below  and decide  if you are able to  support us . Thank you all for your support in the past ... it has been appreciated  a great deal ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-important-notice/

Clicker and Ryewolf  ...  Admin Team 

Hi TIPFers 

I AM HERE AGAIN WITH THE  BEGGING BOWL TO ENSURE THE FORUM CAN KEEP GOING ... Please follow  below if you want to  support the continuation  of this Forum and  this  small but friendly community. 

As always your support is  both vital and appreciated ...

Clicker and Ryewolf ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-4th-july-2023/

Help needed.

JohnP

I recently purchased a new laptop with Windows 7 installed, it came with Windows Live Mail which is doing my head in. With Outlook Express on XP... click on inbox and you got all your emails from way back. When I click on inbox with Windows Live Mail I just get one email showing. Can someone please tell me how to set it up so that when I click on inbox all emails show.

Hi, John, I use Live Mail in Win7. I changed from Outlook, too, and it took me a little while to sort it. When you open mail have a look at the tool bar across the top and click on 'view'. There are three different options as to which pane you view the mail in, and another couple of options. Try altering them to see if it's better. I have mine set on the 'calender pane' and it lists all my active messages in the inbox, saved ones in a named folder, sent in the sent folder and deleted ones in trash. You can also set ascending or descending order. Give it a try. I did not find it quite as easy as Outlook, but I got there after a few 'fiddles' Hope this helps.

Thank you Colin... that has solved my problem although I much prefer the old Outlook Express. I often think progress is a step back and that is definitely the case with Windows Live Mail. The only thing I like about is I can have both Hotmail & BT Yahoo Mail in one place.

Thank you Colin... that has solved my problem although I much prefer the old Outlook Express. I often think progress is a step back and that is definitely the case with Windows Live Mail. The only thing I like about is I can have both Hotmail & BT Yahoo Mail in one place.

you wait until you get Windows 8 :wacko: - I still can't get email on our other laptop and are seriously considering removing 8 and replacing it with 7.

you wait until you get Windows 8 :wacko: - I still can't get email on our other laptop and are seriously considering removing 8 and replacing it with 7.

I've only had my Windows 7 laptop since Christmas, I could have bought one with Windows 8 but I didn't want it because I know others who don't like it. I still prefer XP to be honest but I'm getting used to 7 slowly. 

Glad it's sorted John :)

Going back to the Windows 7/8 debate. I upgraded 2 laptops at Xmas from 7 to 8 and was really struggling to get on with it but having used it for a couple of months I wouldn't go back to 7 if you paid me. Everything is much simpler and the app based system is a breeze.

You need to bear in mind that apps is the way technology is going so it's a matter of keeping up or getting seriously left behind and being stuck with an incompatible computer.

I know it won't make a blind bit of difference but my advice would be to upgrade now and learn while there is still time or be forced into it kicking and screaming in the not too distant future.

My desktop PC is XP and I much prefer that to the netbook with  Windows 7.
I have loads of programs that will work on XP so I am going to hang on to it as long as I can.

Why is there a need to change things every couple of years? 
The way it seems to me is that it's a race between operating companies to make the most money.

Glad it's sorted John :)

Going back to the Windows 7/8 debate. I upgraded 2 laptops at Xmas from 7 to 8 and was really struggling to get on with it but having used it for a couple of months I wouldn't go back to 7 if you paid me. Everything is much simpler and the app based system is a breeze.

You need to bear in mind that apps is the way technology is going so it's a matter of keeping up or getting seriously left behind and being stuck with an incompatible computer.

I know it won't make a blind bit of difference but my advice would be to upgrade now and learn while there is still time or be forced into it kicking and screaming in the not too distant future.

Phil - I'm always happy to change and upgrade learning 'how' but I find a lot of Win 8 design for designs sake - I don't like having to faff about around the edges of the screen to shut a program down there was nothing wrong with the bar along the bottom of the screen and why should we just abandon  pop3 email when I would suspect most of the world is still using it. The email is my BIG bug about win 8, I don't wish to use web mail all the time or a different system to 1x home pc 1x laptop (win7) and my Blackberry all which work fine on pop3?

Edited by colinb
Guest DaveW

No need to change anything Nanny it's simply Microsoft is stopping supporting XP, so no more bug fixes or security updates in future.  Therefore if you go online your system maybe not be as secure in future from hackers. Also possibly if you buy new software in future it may not run on XP any more. If you don't keep the operating system up to date also there are often no more simple upgrades, you have to do a clean install removing everything off your hard disk and saving all your files, installing the new operating systems then reloading all the software and reinstalling all your files. However from XP to Windows 7 or 8 you would have to do that anyway.

Why do they keep changing things?  Simply because unless they rent you the software on an annual basis (which is one idea behind Cloud Computing) they can't sell you the software you are already using again, so have to try and persuade you to buy new.  If nobody bought a new version of Windows or Office Microsoft would go out of business.

For using Windows Live Mail see:-

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-vista/working-with-windows-mail

http://digitalunite.com/guides/email/how-use-windows-live-mail

http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/how-to-use-windows-live-mail.html

http://www.webdevelopersnotes.com/tips/windows_live_mail/use_windows_live_mail.php

However I find software is the same as camera menu's, unless you are a geek and must try or fiddle with everything to see what it does, you just find the things you normally need and master them and ignore everything else! :D

I can understand the problem with new software, but I already have a lot of stuff that runs on XP  and I can't see me buying more software in the future..
I run Avast on all of my computers and have found it very good for blocking stuff that might get in.

I already have two netbooks that run Windows 7 (have just repaired my old one as it needed a new key) and  I also have a portable dvd/cd writer so I can move from one to the other if needs be.

I will stick with what I've got for the time being as I just can't afford to upgrade at the moment and will see how I go on.

No need to change anything Nanny it's simply Microsoft is stopping supporting XP, so no more bug fixes or security updates in future.  Therefore if you go online your system maybe not be as secure in future from hackers. Also possibly if you buy new software in future it may not run on XP any more. If you don't keep the operating system up to date also there are often no more simple upgrades, you have to do a clean install removing everything off your hard disk and saving all your files, installing the new operating systems then reloading all the software and reinstalling all your files. However from XP to Windows 7 or 8 you would have to do that anyway.

Why do they keep changing things?  Simply because unless they rent you the software on an annual basis (which is one idea behind Cloud Computing) they can't sell you the software you are already using again, so have to try and persuade you to buy new.  If nobody bought a new version of Windows or Office Microsoft would go out of business.

Which explains in a nutshell why - when PCs are so cheap but Windows so expensive - Macs are so expensive but OS X upgrades are so cheap!