Hi to all our members ... We  would just like to draw your attention to the latest post on the following link... Thank you for your attention .If you have already responded to my note  on Chatbox  about this please ignore this sticky note ... Thanks  folks ....

http://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/46369-important~-the-forum-its-future-and-finances/

Clicker and Ryewolf   ADMIN TEAM 

Regretfully we have to once again ask members for  some financial support in order to  keep TIPF  running till December 2023. The more pledges we have to become  FRIEND OF THE FORUM  the less the individual cost will be so  if you want this Forum to continue  please follow the link below  and decide  if you are able to  support us . Thank you all for your support in the past ... it has been appreciated  a great deal ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-important-notice/

Clicker and Ryewolf  ...  Admin Team 

Hi TIPFers 

I AM HERE AGAIN WITH THE  BEGGING BOWL TO ENSURE THE FORUM CAN KEEP GOING ... Please follow  below if you want to  support the continuation  of this Forum and  this  small but friendly community. 

As always your support is  both vital and appreciated ...

Clicker and Ryewolf ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-4th-july-2023/

Selfie Weekend

Black Pearl

Dylan has a few he's bought and we've a few that we have found on various beach wanders - not sure which would be the oldest.

This is the first Gryphaea that we've found in one piece. I'll try and get a couple of good shots of it later with the macro lens.

Not as old as BPs specimen but this dates back to 1603-1620, according to Google - a section of the rear of the Old Hall at Gibside. Taken from the field much below it to the east. The climb up to it was pretty steep. I've enlarged this bit so that the inside can be seen - all ruin and ropes and metal props.

GibsideHall-rear.jpg

...and one that I think is a good deal older than BP's Gryphaea - Torridonian Sandstone. Precambrian which is ever so ever so old - before 541 million years ago.  We were surrounded by it when we lived in Scotland. Sunsets were wonderful - the rocks turned red. I'll see if I can find some shots later.

Torridonian-Sandstone.jpg

Added - just looked it up in a scholarly article -  between 900 and 1000 million years ago. 

Can't match BP & Judy with their bits of ancient rock. However, this is man made! It's the reverse of a Roman Republic (i.e. BCE) denarius, showing the classic quadrigatus (4-horse chariot) and the name of the private moneyer, probably one L(ucius) Saturn(inus). 

selfie - oldie (denarius) 10:4.jpg

A 1000 million years old you say - not bad - but if this is what the missus thinks it is (she's done an OU Geology course so might well be right) this is Scourian Gneiss which we also picked up in Scotland and is around 2700 million years old.

My Watch is there to prove I didn't just lift the image from the net :lol: :lol: :lol:

Scourian Gneiss 2.jpg

Thank goodness this is purely a fun thread - because I had a bit of difficulty with this one. We were home on Sat. and I did think about rocks, but didn't get out there, even on our block. Went on our mowing day yesterday and don't see anything much of significant age then - but I did spot this one as we filled up our fuel whilst heading home:

015a.jpg

We are home again today and I will go and look for our rocks. :D

I had never even heard of M&S till I met my sweetheart in 198something and never seen one till moving back to the uk in 1986 and lived in Londinuim.

Now, about Devon. where is it did you say? and Wrexham, is that in Liverpool?:devil:

On a separate note I'd wager the person who owns the scabby old Volvo with a Scottish flag and a crappy personal plate and who are parked in a disabled bay would be the sort of person I'd want to strangle within 10 seconds of meeting them.

Mind you that could be a reflection on me :lol:

4 hours ago, BillE said:

So cruel to Ron you two, :popo:

mind you do you get M&S in Devon? Come to think of it I did see one in Exeter, but no drive in cafe though:rofl:

EXCUSE ME??? You think we're all yokels down here? Behind the times? I'll have you know, we have Home & Colonial, Timothy Whites, International Stores, Spar, AND Woolworths down in Exeter. Not so funny now, eh?

• Like 1