Hi to all our members ... We  would just like to draw your attention to the latest post on the following link... Thank you for your attention .If you have already responded to my note  on Chatbox  about this please ignore this sticky note ... Thanks  folks ....

http://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/46369-important~-the-forum-its-future-and-finances/

Clicker and Ryewolf   ADMIN TEAM 

Regretfully we have to once again ask members for  some financial support in order to  keep TIPF  running till December 2023. The more pledges we have to become  FRIEND OF THE FORUM  the less the individual cost will be so  if you want this Forum to continue  please follow the link below  and decide  if you are able to  support us . Thank you all for your support in the past ... it has been appreciated  a great deal ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-important-notice/

Clicker and Ryewolf  ...  Admin Team 

Hi TIPFers 

I AM HERE AGAIN WITH THE  BEGGING BOWL TO ENSURE THE FORUM CAN KEEP GOING ... Please follow  below if you want to  support the continuation  of this Forum and  this  small but friendly community. 

As always your support is  both vital and appreciated ...

Clicker and Ryewolf ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-4th-july-2023/

Canal Bridge

Ryewolf

No, of course not. To be honest I was more interested in the light patterns on the water, rather than the bridge, the orignal was much darker and you could n't see the bridge, I'd also played around with the aeb and took it down 2 clicks so it was deliberatey underexposed.

I think a 'nearly there picture' I don't mind the lack of foreground as the dark curved reflection fits in with the arch but I do wonder if it needed the full arch curve at the top of the picture and either more or less of the tow path just peeking in? 

I love it (the original I mean) - the abstract pattern of ripples leads the eye naturally to the bridge arch. You have a strong compositional element of the top arch being 'reflected' in the bottom curve of ripples.

For me, the only weak part is between the arch and the ripples (background) which a wider aperture might have thrown more out of focus?

I like this RW... there's something about the contrast between what is obvious to discern, ie the bridge and towpath element, and the rippled water which on its own is not as obvious to see what it is , if taken in isolation. I think both elements are needed to make this image work... So I agree with Chris to a certain extent.....but it's just my opinion.;) 

Thanks Cgris and Clicker, I wasn't sure myself about this one, as it wasn't my original idea I had when looking through the viewfinder, I'd planned to crop out the bridge and just leave the water reflections - you're right on their own it's not obvious what it is.

My original idea - Water

water-7980.jpg

As I said ... Its an opinion ... If an abstract  is what you are looking for ...  the crop ...is abstract.. well in as much as it isn't readily recognisable as water ... But for me it doesn't make me look twice at it or interest me as it's the relationship with the bridge that makes me appreciate  the  way the water looks ...I mostly make images to please me , not anyone else so ...you   maybe have to decide what you want from the image ....Is  it something that is pleasing to you? Whether it affects anyone else in the process may or may not be important at all to you . Only you know what it is that you want  from an image ... I can only tell  you  how it affects me ....   For me to be interested in abstract it has to have dynamic impact in either colour or shape ... On it's own the crop doesn't do it for me ... interesting discussion though..:yes

Thanks everyone for your comments and thoughts.Apologies for the too large image, the forum used to resize to something smaller to display in the posts, It is very subjective about what you want or get from an image. I saw this as the cropped image, but thought I'd explore what else I could get from this image. I was shooting directly into the sun and keeping the bridge in was a way to stop it being over exposed.

• 2 weeks later...

I love these debates, there's always going to be a difference of opinion. And for what it's worth, here's mine :)

Lose the tow path and the empty space at the bottom. The only real negative for me is that detail has been lost in the shadows.

canal-bridge-7980.thumb.jpg.518b23daa075

Archived