Hi to all our members ... We  would just like to draw your attention to the latest post on the following link... Thank you for your attention .If you have already responded to my note  on Chatbox  about this please ignore this sticky note ... Thanks  folks ....

http://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/46369-important~-the-forum-its-future-and-finances/

Clicker and Ryewolf   ADMIN TEAM 

Regretfully we have to once again ask members for  some financial support in order to  keep TIPF  running till December 2023. The more pledges we have to become  FRIEND OF THE FORUM  the less the individual cost will be so  if you want this Forum to continue  please follow the link below  and decide  if you are able to  support us . Thank you all for your support in the past ... it has been appreciated  a great deal ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-important-notice/

Clicker and Ryewolf  ...  Admin Team 

Hi TIPFers 

I AM HERE AGAIN WITH THE  BEGGING BOWL TO ENSURE THE FORUM CAN KEEP GOING ... Please follow  below if you want to  support the continuation  of this Forum and  this  small but friendly community. 

As always your support is  both vital and appreciated ...

Clicker and Ryewolf ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-4th-july-2023/

Helloooo yet again!

Beth

Hello everyone,

I finally re-registered......despite several attempts to login lol!!

I'm on the look out for lots of recommendations for a new DSLR. I have a good price that I'd like to pay, so hope to invest it wisely. I don't have one at the mo you see.......do you feel sorry for me ha ha? ;-)

Hope you've all had a lovely Christmas Day and I wish you all a blessed start to 2013. Lets hope we continue where we left off. x

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Borrada! Beth...........good to get you back on board again.

TIPF had a few techie hitches so had to re-home itself, hence your problems attempting to log onto the original URL.

I look forward to seeing your work after you get your new camera.

FUJI

Thanks for the welcome Fuji.

I don't know where to start with a new camera. Been out of action for long while now for personal reasons, but my old Fuji S9500 has had it's day.

I would like a camera for overall general use, but I will mostly use it for Motorsport/Rallying purposes.

Plus I think I need to go back to basics and maybe do a course re aperture and shutter lol.

All advice is appreciated as I really want to get back into this.

Hi, again Beth,

Member, Black Pearl, is our resident Camera and Equipment expert , he is a long established manager of a Jessops store.....just post a PM to him or make a query on here.

TIPF members have helped me to develop into a reasonable photographer since I joined many moons ago,..........the other place to learn without cost is ....YouTube........just search on it, for what ever photographic query you have.....there will invariably be a host of Video Tutorials.......most good..... Some fair......and a few....unwatchable because of overloud, unnessessary music or very poor presentation.

Also......trawl you local charity shops for Photography Books.....now that many folks are reading electronically, more and more paper books are being donated.

FUJI

With modern cameras you can usually set them on auto everything at first, then learn the basics later. When I started you had to learn the basics first.

As Fuji says there are articles on camera functions at all levels on the Web or types of photography, you just have to Google for them.

For example:-

http://www.wikihow.com/Photograph-Motor-Racing

http://www.carphototutorials.com/make_panning_shots_like_a_pro.html

http://www.lightstalking.com/how-to-photograph-motorsports

I agree with Colin, buy your camera body only rather than with a kit lens that is not really what you want. If a firm only sells the camera with kit lenses find another that sells body only. Then buy the lens you need for your motor racing shots separately. Also remember you need not buy your camera and lens from the same seller, even if it is the camera makers own lens you want. Have a look around the shops for what you want then go on the Web and find them both for the best price. Even if you buy them from a high street firm it is often cheaper to purchase off their web site and then go to the shop to pick your order up than purchase directly in the shop (something I will never understand!)

DaveW

WOW!!

Thanks for all your advice and tips.

I definitely agree with the handling of the camera first. I just don't know where to start with which one to choose.

I have set the price I'm willing to pay so I guess I need to work around that.

I shall indeed be asking for advice from the expert on here lol, so will return later on. Thank you lots.

• 2 months later...

Hello again there everyone...lol,

Back yet again........

I've managed to narrow my choice of cameras to either the Nikon D3100 or the D5100.....

I basically wish to use for general photography.......but more often than not, for either close ups and definately Motorsport, (rallying).

I have seen the D3100 with a kit.....but not sure if that is a wise choice, after reading one of the posts within this post....

So I was wondering if someone would be kind enough to tell me if I'm making a wise choice here in respect of:

1.  Should I get the camera body only?

2.  Should I get the camera with kit?

I would need a suitable bag, card (what gig??).....anything else?

Should I invest in a lense suitable for motorsport?  I've seen a Tamron AF 30-700mm lense £128.  Is this a good deal?

I've really been out of touch with photography and it was one of the loves of my life......well still is, just had no time to do it.  

Any help that you lovely peeps offer is and has always been valued.  I just don't want to be buying another camera for a while yet and hope, for my budget £600 (probably extra if buying a zoom lense), that I'm making a suitable choice for my needs.

Phew.........thanks for your help everyone.  :yes

Beth 

If it's any help. I've just bought a Nikon D3200 body for £340 off Amazon. 24MPs so you can get a fairly good size.Even without zooming in to far.

Here's a few of my first  hots with a 55-200mm VR zoom attached  I'm purely amateur, and found it very easy to get on with.
All shots using Manual setting.
I'm sure that the people on here who know a lot more about camera's will help you to make the right choice.

tamron 30-700? @ £128 very very cheap, i would check out the supplier before i sent any money.

wex photographic got tamron & sigma 70-300 @ £129 (os lens £275). 

you would need to use a tri/monopod with the 700 (i would have thought) 1) to stop camera shake & 2) to help with the weight.

you would pay around £70-100 for one of the kit lenses 18-50mm, they are not the greatest but they will get you started until you get the lenses you want. so way up the body + kit lens and body + a seperate lens.

tamron & sigma are budget range lenses, a lot cheaper than nikon/canon make. some say that the nikon/canon lenses are much better (should be for the price) but i use sigma and to my eyes the images are sharp enough and unless you go to pro status i would stay with them until the time comes when you need/can afford the higher price.

if you decide on second hand lenses make sure that you try them out (in shop) before you buy to make sure you are happy with it and everything works that should be working, also check for scratches on the glass.

geoff

Do Tamron do one with that range. zoom Could it be a misprint and it's a Tamron 70-300? It does sound a bit sus.

I bought my Sigma lens and Nikkor lens from http://www.buyacamera.co.uk and found them very reliable and trustworthy as well as being reasonable.
As Geoff said, I would got to a reputable dealer as you could end up being ripped off..

Morning all,

Many thanks for your feedback....... 

I'm somewhat confused though re the lenses as I don't understand how they fully work.

I just want a descent camera with a good number of pixels, which I think for the D3100 is ample.  I'm not too bothered about printing large copies etc.

Due to my lack of knowledge, I dont know if it is in my interest to get the camera with the kit or body alone, so if anyone can explain, that would be good.  

I definately think I should invest in a 300mm lense, but again I don't fully understand the difference between 20-200mm or 55-300mm or 70-300mm.

I also don't want to be a pain, but sorry if I am.

Thanks muchly.

Beth 

No pain, Beth. That's what forums are about and the people on here are only too willing to help.
By the way, did you check out the specs of the Nokon D3200. I only used my 55-200m mm lens on the spire pic if you have looked and as it has Vibration reduction would be great for moving objects.
I love it and the quality for a reasonable priced camera is good+ the fact that you have more pixels to crop in with.
This is only my opinion though. You need to look at a few and the specifications before buying.
If you spent £340 on a body that would leave you plenty for a lens of your choice, or you could check out the a one with a 55-80 lens and then look for another lens of your choice seperately.
Keep in mind that if you don't have very bright conditions and need to go on a fast speed then the pics will come out dark with a long zoom lens.
I have learned the hard way and still learning, so don't rush in to anything. Take you time and be sure.
I read lots reviews and got other more knowledgeable peoples opinions too.

Oh thank you Tina, I appreciate your advice.

I have spent a long while, on and off over the past couple of years, researching a camera and don't think I'll ever be sure.

All I know this time is that because the D3100 appears to be a popular model, that I feel it would good for me too.......(??)

I don't know a great deal and get slightly confused with aperture and shutter speeds etc, but I tend to experiment and learn in that way.

I just want a good camera, which I'm hoping I can get on a budget of £500-£600 and just take every day pics, but also to take good close ups and the motorsport.

If it's not worth getting the kit lense 18-55, (will I benefit from it, or would I miss it?), then which other 'all round' lense would be best?

Same applies to the zoom lense, ie which range 55-200mm F4.5 or 75-300mm

I've 'made do' for years and also reviewed many cameras and don't really want to spend anymore time deciding lol.. I was hoping to make a purchase this week end, naturally only if I'm happy with my decision.

Thank you.

Edited by Beth

I only went for the D3200 as I would love to do more Close up shots and be able to crop them in a lot. and fell in love with it the minute that I got the advertising email lol.
I already have a D3000 and wouldn't have had this one if it wasn't for my son selling my Panasonic FZ30 bridge camera for me. That made my mind up to put it towards  D3200. I wouldn't have had it otherwise.
I think it's the latest Nikon consumer camera out. and it was the amount of pixels and lots of reading that finally made my mind up that it was what I wanted.
The D3100 has 16 pixels hasn't it?  I have a little NIkon bridge camera with that amount and there is a lot of scope.

Don't worry about the shutter and apertures as there will be plenty of help on here.
I only came to terms with A,P and M in the last couple of years so you aren't alone.
Some people say that too many pixels aren't much use, but I think it's all down to what you want to do with it.
It's sounds like you have pretty well made your mind up and I'm sure you will enjoy it, whichever your final choice.

As far as the 18-55 lens goes, I don't think you would pay much more if you bought it as a kit and it is a boon if you want to do scenery. You can also do Macro with it.
You can get lenses quite reasonable these days. 
if you get the kit first, then you can be playing with it while you make your mind up about your second lens.
Good luck, and let us know what you get in the end.

Hi

Thanks for your feedback Tina, I appreciate it.  

I'm just confused to be honest and not sure which to buy.

The difference of not having the kit lense, is £140 cheaper (if I were to purchase via Argos).

If I don't have the 18-55mm, then which should I choose, in addition to the zoom lense??

Not sure which of the zoom lenses are the most acceptable or popular to use.......... ie ? - 200mm or ? - 300mm.

If I knew more about it all, I wouldn't ask so many questions, so I hope you will bear with me.

I'm having problems with photo editing and I have really persevered, but cannot get along with the Picasa that I installed.  

I had CS2 on old PC, but I can't install it on my laptop.  So I'm not doing very well lol.

Anyway, thanks again and to anyone else who may be able to help.

I got mine from Amazon Uk and saved an awful lot of money. Have you priced them up on there?
I think Argos are expensive for camera's.

Have a look. the D3200kit is only £403 and and the D3100 ikit s only  £318 and you can get next day delivery as I did.
If you don't have Paypal or credit card then maybe a member of family could order it for you and you could give them the cash.

My son offered to do this for me but I have a PP account.

Edited by NannyFerret