Hi to all our members ... We  would just like to draw your attention to the latest post on the following link... Thank you for your attention .If you have already responded to my note  on Chatbox  about this please ignore this sticky note ... Thanks  folks ....

http://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/46369-important~-the-forum-its-future-and-finances/

Clicker and Ryewolf   ADMIN TEAM 

Regretfully we have to once again ask members for  some financial support in order to  keep TIPF  running till December 2023. The more pledges we have to become  FRIEND OF THE FORUM  the less the individual cost will be so  if you want this Forum to continue  please follow the link below  and decide  if you are able to  support us . Thank you all for your support in the past ... it has been appreciated  a great deal ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-important-notice/

Clicker and Ryewolf  ...  Admin Team 

Hi TIPFers 

I AM HERE AGAIN WITH THE  BEGGING BOWL TO ENSURE THE FORUM CAN KEEP GOING ... Please follow  below if you want to  support the continuation  of this Forum and  this  small but friendly community. 

As always your support is  both vital and appreciated ...

Clicker and Ryewolf ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-4th-july-2023/

Point to Point

EdwardL

No macros in this one LOL :lol: I'm thoroughly enjoying the macro shots (as I've recently acquired a macro lens) but thought I'd post something different for my first "proper" thread.

I was asked to photograph our Point to Point which has its advantages and disadvantages.  Free entry, go wherever I want to but I cannot just concentrate on the jumps - there's an obligation to capture as much as possible, all the winners, all the horses before, during and after the race, the sponsors and goodness knows what else.  I will probably post some more up of the day and if I do they will be a different genre and style of photography.

While I appreciate this is my first image post, please PLEASE do feel free to express a niggle, critique or whatever.  Why?  I want to improve my photography and if everyone says "Nice shot" or similar, I will never know what I'm doing wrong.  Secondly, I want to gain a qualification this year (RPS) and they'll shoot me down in flames if necessary!!  Without further ado:

F_50516-6193.thumb.jpg.073ffa3df448bc2de

F_50516-6286.thumb.jpg.47cec0f41e0b7771a

3. There weren't enough horses so I tried making silly noises at dogs instead

F_50516-6479.thumb.jpg.1b0982348a7feabe4

4. Oops!  Here are some more ...

F_50516-6705.thumb.jpg.f16babe0040a27e9b

Hope you enjoy! :)

Very nice images - I think number 2 is possibly the strongest because of the great rider's expression, it's such a shame the lower quarter of the horses head is cut off.

Number 4 is good too - I can almost hear the hooves thumping on the grass.

The dog is cute certainly, but it's not a strong image and I think the 3 point to point shots would have looked stronger without the pooch.

Hope that helps.

Korky

Hope that helps.

Korky

​Most definitely, and thank you!  Perfect!!

Valid point about the dog - might have been different if it was a labrador :) but I do agree, now you've mentioned it.  A good observation.

1 and 4 are excellent, with 4 taking it by a neck :yes
I'm afraid the cars and lack of the horse's nose spoil #2. Pooch is a good shot but doesn't really have a place in this series.

Incidentally, the link to your web site in your sig doesn't seem to be working.

Thank you, Phil.

I can see why should have left the pooch out. :)

Interesting that you and Korky suggest the horse's nose should be included.  I was trying to emphasise the girl's eyes and expression with the horse's ears and eyes but it seems that I've cropped in too much.  (The original image has much more included so not all it lost.)

Thank you for pointing out the link mistake - hopefully all fixed now.  You can see me winning an Oscar in my recent gallery lol :)

Interesting that you and Korky suggest the horse's nose should be included.

Thank you for pointing out the link mistake - hopefully all fixed now.

​ There is obvious determination in the jockey's eyes, would it be possible to crop in further to lose the horse head completely?

Glad you got the link sorted, not a lot of point having a sig that doesn't work :)

Many thanks again.  Chris - just a silly giggle - two persuade me that perhaps I shouldn't have the dog in the sequence then you pop in and say it's the best one :)  Avoiding horses saves you loads of pounds - dogs are much cheaper generally.  And safer!!

Anyways, two more different crops as per the suggestions.  Not sure if I like them as much but wouldn't the world be a dull place if we all liked the same but on second looks, the lack of the steed's head does make it more interesting I feel.

Take2_50516-6286.thumb.jpg.c2984a9f7d466

Take3_50516-6286-2.thumb.jpg.7a62d41ce01

Yes, I also prefer the tighter crop on the jockey in the last image, it emphasis the jockey.

​I agree with Ryewolf it certainly makes the image stronger.

But I would certainly be blurring the background more to lose the distraction of the parked cars being so obvious.

A quick and dirty edit:)

Take3_50516-6286-2.jpg.jpg

Now why didn't I think of that?! 

:whistle:

That's a great idea.  The ideal of course is to find your background first but it wasn't possible in this instance as about 2 minutes after they cross the finishing point here (where all the cars are parked :rant:) I have to be up at the winners enclosure which is a fair distance away and I have to run to ensure I'm there ready for them, about 2½ minutes later.

Thanks for the thought - one for the future in similar circumstances.

Yes, I know what you mean about not always having a choice in picking your background. Another option is to do a panning shot on a slowish shutter speed, I've not tried it myself - it's supposed to be fairly tricky to get right - JamWheel might be the one to ask as he uses panning shots on his aviation images.

Archived