Hi to all our members ... We  would just like to draw your attention to the latest post on the following link... Thank you for your attention .If you have already responded to my note  on Chatbox  about this please ignore this sticky note ... Thanks  folks ....

http://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/46369-important~-the-forum-its-future-and-finances/

Clicker and Ryewolf   ADMIN TEAM 

Regretfully we have to once again ask members for  some financial support in order to  keep TIPF  running till December 2023. The more pledges we have to become  FRIEND OF THE FORUM  the less the individual cost will be so  if you want this Forum to continue  please follow the link below  and decide  if you are able to  support us . Thank you all for your support in the past ... it has been appreciated  a great deal ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-important-notice/

Clicker and Ryewolf  ...  Admin Team 

Hi TIPFers 

I AM HERE AGAIN WITH THE  BEGGING BOWL TO ENSURE THE FORUM CAN KEEP GOING ... Please follow  below if you want to  support the continuation  of this Forum and  this  small but friendly community. 

As always your support is  both vital and appreciated ...

Clicker and Ryewolf ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-4th-july-2023/

Quick Question

Silk purse, sow's ear, but here ya go I've even had a half hearted attempt at colourising to try and disguise some of the imperfections, not sure it's worked though.

WOW!

Phil..........that is truly amazing, you have worked a bit of a miracle there........you should set up a little business......there must be billions of old battered family pics lying in drawers all over the UK.

Will you be showing these to the 90 year old survivor of the group?

Well done you.

FUJI

I couldn't resist working on this too and I found the Stick to be almost identical to yours Phil though I have it curling back towards the man's stomach  almost like  a walking stick / umbrella handle . The back of it is sticking out behind him though it appears to be shorter that a walking stick length though it could be an optical illusion with the foreshortening .. As a rule of thumb, in my experience, Colouring  only emphasises any imperfections .Nice job though Phil....  Not 100% sure what the protocol is about editing and posting someone elses pic so  I'll err on the side of caution .  I love  the smirk on the chap's face who  is wielding the stick..He looks as if he should be in Musichall..he looks quite dapper !

Not 100% sure what the protocol is about editing and posting someone elses pic so  I'll err on the side of caution .  

"Allow members to edit my images" is the only one most of us go by, probably? But keep it within the original topic...

Thanks Chris ... I 'd seen that but haven't seen many occasions where people have posted an edit  so wondered if it was something that didn't happen unless it was asked for specifically to solve a problem ... Anyway  Here is a close up of what I saw in the pic whilst restoring ... of course  others may well disagree ... ;) 

I do wonder what the occasion was though as it appears three of them are wearing what look like wedding buttonholes  !!  They all seem to be suited and booted for the shoot !

post-1182-0-75193800-1425747953.jpg

Well that I reckon sorts that its a walking stick

Around this time walking sticks were more of a fashion accessory / symbol of authority than an aid to walking

They had taken over from the sword

With his manor and dress he is obviously in charge

As Fuji says he holds the stick like a sargent major in the army would

There does seem to be an awful lot of ratcatchers for a village I wonder if its a rat catchers convention or gathering from surrounding villages as click says maybe a wedding in the rat catchers circle

Are they all rat catchers could some be night soil workers or knockeruppers ?

Do we know they were genuine ratcatchers? 

All I know is what's written on the back of the photo. Everyone in the image is familiar to me (now sadly gone save one) but I know nothing of their early years.

Hmmm, seems I am a liar after all  :innocent:

I'd got it into my head that it was Maurice Belton in the image, not Harry. Harry passed away some 45 years ago, Maurice, I believe, is still with us.

I've just been looking at the 1911 census. Is Arthur Hall the son of George and Annie Hall - aged 14 and a Market Garden Assistant?

Added - yes it was,  as in the 1901, Miriam is with them too.

Well done you :yes

How old would arthur be in the image ?

He looks older than 14

Conscription started in 1916 if this was before he would be 19 in that year was he still employed by the market garden

Are these employees of a market garden in Hook ?

Archived