Hi to all our members ... We  would just like to draw your attention to the latest post on the following link... Thank you for your attention .If you have already responded to my note  on Chatbox  about this please ignore this sticky note ... Thanks  folks ....

http://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/46369-important~-the-forum-its-future-and-finances/

Clicker and Ryewolf   ADMIN TEAM 

Regretfully we have to once again ask members for  some financial support in order to  keep TIPF  running till December 2023. The more pledges we have to become  FRIEND OF THE FORUM  the less the individual cost will be so  if you want this Forum to continue  please follow the link below  and decide  if you are able to  support us . Thank you all for your support in the past ... it has been appreciated  a great deal ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-important-notice/

Clicker and Ryewolf  ...  Admin Team 

Hi TIPFers 

I AM HERE AGAIN WITH THE  BEGGING BOWL TO ENSURE THE FORUM CAN KEEP GOING ... Please follow  below if you want to  support the continuation  of this Forum and  this  small but friendly community. 

As always your support is  both vital and appreciated ...

Clicker and Ryewolf ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-4th-july-2023/

Royal Photographic Society

A blue badge is what you stick on the car dashboard when you have a disability

Thanks.

I thought it might be age related. I get a discount on membership cost because I am old.

I am still interested to know why the first question was asked.

I am a bit sensitive about the question because the RPS was "dissed" by two recent lecturers who gave talks at my camera club. They seemed to have a PAGB promotional agenda that I found not necessary when invited and paid to give talks.

Sorry. Gentle rant over.

Jeff

If you are GP and you are trying to build/promote your business then (possibly) having FRPS along with BIPP and MPA after your name might help you gain clients and build relationships....might!

Its one of those grey areas where its nice to have, the meetings/lectures can be helpful, being around like minded people is generally useful for networking and if you enter (win) competitions you get a bit of publicity but otherwise its just snobbery for typical camera club types.

• Like 1

But is it it worth joining in your opinion ?

Depends what you want.

I would suggest you decide how, or if, you want to progress your photography then go through the whole of the rps website to see how membership would be useful.

It is useful to me because I am more interested in making panels or series of pictures around a theme which is what is required for getting the arics distinction, rather than a collection of unrelated camera club type photos to get a PAGB distinction. Also the meetings are often interesting - details on the rps website.

However there seems to be more rps activity in the South of England then here in Lancashire. Maybe the Southerners are ore proactive.

But I get a discounted membership fee because I am old.

Jeff

If you are GP and you are trying to build/promote your business then (possibly) having FRPS along with BIPP and MPA after your name might help you gain clients and build relationships....might!

Its one of those grey areas where its nice to have, the meetings/lectures can be helpful, being around like minded people is generally useful for networking and if you enter (win) competitions you get a bit of publicity but otherwise its just snobbery for typical camera club types.

Fair enough except the comment about snobbery.

Jeff

Hmmm - £86 for pensioners, and I understand from our club talk that you have to remain a member, else you lose the letters after your name.  Everyso often, a lecturer turns up to try to persuade us to join the RPS, but as mentioned above, for those of us on limited means, it seems to be an expensive luxury.  I'd rather spend what money I have on occasions on kit instead.

And there does not seem to be much for us Midlanders - hardly likely to go to Wiltshire for a lecture.

Still, horses for courses, no doubt  :-)

• Like 1

Hmmm - £86 for pensioners, and I understand from our club talk that you have to remain a member, else you lose the letters after your name.  Everyso often, a lecturer turns up to try to persuade us to join the RPS, but as mentioned above, for those of us on limited means, it seems to be an expensive luxury.  I'd rather spend what money I have on occasions on kit instead.

And there does not seem to be much for us Midlanders - hardly likely to go to Wiltshire for a lecture.

Still, horses for courses, no doubt  :-)

Recent lecturers at my club have tried to persuade people to do PAGB distinctions and spent lots of time doping so. They also rubbished the RPS .

But I take your point about lack of cheapish meetings.

I was in the Visual Art section but most of the action was in the South and their big event seemed to involve expensive weekends in hotels.

I'm now starting to wonder whether it is worthwhile staying a member!

jeff