Hi to all our members ... We  would just like to draw your attention to the latest post on the following link... Thank you for your attention .If you have already responded to my note  on Chatbox  about this please ignore this sticky note ... Thanks  folks ....

http://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/46369-important~-the-forum-its-future-and-finances/

Clicker and Ryewolf   ADMIN TEAM 

Regretfully we have to once again ask members for  some financial support in order to  keep TIPF  running till December 2023. The more pledges we have to become  FRIEND OF THE FORUM  the less the individual cost will be so  if you want this Forum to continue  please follow the link below  and decide  if you are able to  support us . Thank you all for your support in the past ... it has been appreciated  a great deal ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-important-notice/

Clicker and Ryewolf  ...  Admin Team 

Hi TIPFers 

I AM HERE AGAIN WITH THE  BEGGING BOWL TO ENSURE THE FORUM CAN KEEP GOING ... Please follow  below if you want to  support the continuation  of this Forum and  this  small but friendly community. 

As always your support is  both vital and appreciated ...

Clicker and Ryewolf ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-4th-july-2023/

Which Wacom?

Hi, Cathy,

I have used a Wacom, drawing tablet and stylus attached to my Windows XP desktop for over seven years now, they are fantastic for finer adjustments during processing, and for drawing and painting using relevant softwares........getting used to using the Stylus flat on a desk, whilst looking at an eye level sceen takes a little getting used to, it soon becomes intuitive.

But, since I acquired a Windows Tablet PC, then (later)an iPad, I much preferred to do my processing and drawing directly on the screen on my lap ........I use three drawing/painting/animation apps regularly, if you do any of these an iPad is better.

I do most of my photo processing on my desktop, combining the mouse and the stylus on my Wacom tablet ........a regular Mac user should be able to advise in that area.

FUJI

• Like 1

I would strongly recommend you beg, steal or borrow one for a while and try it before you pay out for your own. I had (probably still have if I'm honest) a Wacom tablet a few years ago and while I thought it was great at first I soon realised it was more the kings new clothes and actually I was better off using a good mouse. I currently use an Apple Magic Mouse and it is superb, no buttons just one large touch surface. 

In the case of Fuji then I can see how a pen/tablet would be an advantage as he's an artist and actually draws but I honestly feel that for photo editing they are more hindrance than help.

Would it make a difference by getting hands on a wacom tablet that cost say £300 as opposed to the "starter" coming in at about £80?   :)

Mind you, not saying that I would spend £300 on one.

Edited by kev7d

I would strongly recommend you beg, steal or borrow one for a while and try it before you pay out for your own. I had (probably still have if I'm honest) a Wacom tablet a few years ago and while I thought it was great at first I soon realised it was more the kings new clothes and actually I was better off using a good mouse. I currently use an Apple Magic Mouse and it is superb, no buttons just one large touch surface. 

In the case of Fuji then I can see how a pen/tablet would be an advantage as he's an artist and actually draws but I honestly feel that for photo editing they are more hindrance than help.

Ditto, except the lack of buttons is something I had to counteract with software (BetterTouchTool - if you don't use it, you should look into it!!). However, do the batteries in yours last? Mine have to be recharged every 2 weeks, though my Bluetooth keyboard batteries are still on more than 40% after a few months use.

Edited by ChrisLumix

Batteries are good for a fair few weeks, don't use rechargeable's though as the missus watched Duracell offers on Groupon so we usually have a draw full. You're right the the keyboard lasts for ages.

I'll look into the app but to be honest I love the touch mouse, particularly for Photoshop where you can pan the image about without having to press anything.

Would it make a difference by getting hands on a wacom tablet that cost say £300 as opposed to the "starter" coming in at about £80?   :)

Mind you, not saying that I would spend £300 on one.

You get higher precision and hot-keys for various functions on the more expensive tablets. I've used them and still don't see the point..........unless you do lots and lots of fine level fiddling and mucking about with your images, which I don't.

Batteries are good for a fair few weeks, don't use rechargeable's though as the missus watched Duracell offers on Groupon so we usually have a draw full. You're right the the keyboard lasts for ages.

I'll look into the app but to be honest I love the touch mouse, particularly for Photoshop where you can pan the image about without having to press anything.

I only have the standard Apple keyboard, not the full size, so I have no Home or End keys. The great thing about that app is you can customise it for gestures - so I just have to tap once on the front of the mouse for Home, and twice for End. In conjunction with scrolling, I can navigate web pages without taking my hand off the mouse.

I think it's a free download? 

Thanks all!

I know I will buy one as I have wanted it for such a long time.

There is a basic pad called Wacom Intous it is not too expensive but the problem is

If I love it then that money would be better spent on a Wacom Pro.

I think I am going to get the Pro and give it a try. If I hate it I can sell it on. Just need to know if the size is important eg Do I need small or medium or does any size work with all IMac screen sizes?

• 1 month later...

An update on the thread.

I got a Wacom Intous Pro and it is still very new to me. I use it for an hour or so every day and can't wait until it feels familiar to me.

I honestly think it will be a great addition to my IMac for edits and playing around with my images. I already love it when using my brush tool for masking. It will take time though to make a complete change :)

I bought a Wacom Bamboo second hand from eBay. Think I paid about £40 for it.  The drawing area on it is about A5 size and I find it more than adequate - it means you don't have to stretch for far with your hand.  I use a Windows PC.

It takes a little time to co-ordinate your hand on the tablet and your eye on the screen, but after a while, it will come naturally.

I've started doing compositing and I find the fine detail of using the graphics pen is so much better than doing the same with a mouse.

I expect it's horses for courses, but I'm glad I bought mine and use it a lot - hope you enjoy yours  :-)

• 2 weeks later...

Yes and no.

The advantage of a graphics tablet is they don't have capacitance screens so you can rest your hand on them in a very natural way and even more importantly they are pressure sensitive.

They can also be left plugged in and just become a part of the day to day workflow.

If I wanted to 'virtually' draw or paint then yes I might well use one of my iPads and the astonishingly good apps that are available but as an input device for manipulating an image within Photoshop a dedicated graphics tablet is far and away a better solution.

No black pearl. The note series have wacom built in . They are pressure sensitive too and you can rest your hands on it. .. same for the surface pros.

There is am app called air stylus for galaxy note .which makes your tablet av second screen with pressure sensitivity.

The surface pro is a fully windows Tablet with wacom built in too. You just install photoshop and your are ready to go