Hi to all our members ... We  would just like to draw your attention to the latest post on the following link... Thank you for your attention .If you have already responded to my note  on Chatbox  about this please ignore this sticky note ... Thanks  folks ....

http://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/46369-important~-the-forum-its-future-and-finances/

Clicker and Ryewolf   ADMIN TEAM 

Regretfully we have to once again ask members for  some financial support in order to  keep TIPF  running till December 2023. The more pledges we have to become  FRIEND OF THE FORUM  the less the individual cost will be so  if you want this Forum to continue  please follow the link below  and decide  if you are able to  support us . Thank you all for your support in the past ... it has been appreciated  a great deal ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-important-notice/

Clicker and Ryewolf  ...  Admin Team 

Hi TIPFers 

I AM HERE AGAIN WITH THE  BEGGING BOWL TO ENSURE THE FORUM CAN KEEP GOING ... Please follow  below if you want to  support the continuation  of this Forum and  this  small but friendly community. 

As always your support is  both vital and appreciated ...

Clicker and Ryewolf ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-4th-july-2023/

Please note  there is an important notice to read regarding the future of this site ... see link below :-

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/60475-tipf-will-be-closing-down-on-30th-june-2024/

Thank  you

Clicker and Ryewolf.   Admin 

BBC Sports Personality of theYear

Thunderer

Does anyone agree the above award should only be open to people who live in the UK and pay their personal taxes here.

It is a bit "off" of L Hamilton to drape himself in the Union Flag to celebrate winning a race. Same applies to golfers although their patriotism is slightly less in our faces.

Let's celebrate those folk who are brilliant at their sport and contribute to our countries that nurtured them.

Just thought about Chris Frome who is African and does not live or pay taxes inthe UK but still, somehow, is British for sporting purposes.

Jeff

Does anyone agree the above award should only be open to people who live in the UK and pay their personal taxes here.

It is a bit "off" of L Hamilton to drape himself in the Union Flag to celebrate winning a race. Same applies to golfers although their patriotism is slightly less in our faces.

Let's celebrate those folk who are brilliant at their sport and contribute to our countries that nurtured them.

Just thought about Chris Frome who is African and does not live or pay taxes inthe UK but still, somehow, is British for sporting purposes.

Jeff

Lewis Hamilton is the nearest thing we have to a real champion - he has genuine personality by the bucketload, and is incredibly good at his chosen sport. I'd like it better if he lived here, but if I had the money to get away from the egregious Bullingdon Bullies, you wouldn't see me for dust either.

Personally, as an exercise in a*se-licking populist irrelevance, that BBC show has got it just about wrapped up. Saying that, I'd still like to see Lewis Hamilton win it, if someone has to.

Lewis Hamilton is the nearest thing we have to a real champion - he has genuine personality by the bucketload, and is incredibly good at his chosen sport. I'd like it better if he lived here, but if I had the money to get away from the egregious Bullingdon Bullies, you wouldn't see me for dust either.

Personally, as an exercise in a*se-licking populist irrelevance, that BBC show has got it just about wrapped up. Saying that, I'd still like to see Lewis Hamilton win it, if someone has to.

Are we talking about the same man?

To me he seems very far up his own a..e. And wholly lacks charisma. Rather like othe F1 people.

Just seems a bit insensitive to avoid paying a bit back to your country while wrapping yourself in the flag.

I agree the Bullingdon boys have behaved very badly and maybe continue to do so. I would assume that in other countries the scum also rises to the top - or alternatively the cream rises to the top.

I agree about the programme.

Jeff

Are we talking about the same man?

To me he seems very far up his own a..e. And wholly lacks charisma. Rather like othe F1 people.

Just seems a bit insensitive to avoid paying a bit back to your country while wrapping yourself in the flag.

I agree the Bullingdon boys have behaved very badly and maybe continue to do so. I would assume that in other countries the scum also rises to the top - or alternatively the cream rises to the top.

I agree about the programme.

Jeff

I should have mentioned that the word "personality" is in the programme name and it is something else I do not understand.

I love F1. I am quite a big Hamilton fan. He can be hot headed and say some stupid things at times, but that can also be down to his age. But however you view his charisma, the guy is double world champion and British. Now I quite like that fact!  :)

• Like 1

Ahh sport....Something I have never 'got'

I think I was born without a sport gene, as there is not a single sport you could name that I have the remotest interest in.... sports personalities even less!

HOORAY! .....and I thought I was the only one.........Sport, especially in and on the media leaves me totally cold......many moons ago, I would stand in the freezing cold to support the local Rangers....or in the heat of summer, the local Cricket Team.

The pro sport if today, is run and organised by mega rich oligarchs, who wring every ounce of cash out of brainwashed supporters including children.

I lie, slightly, because I do get a real kick out of watching any motorcycle racing, the riders seem to be a much nicer group and the thrills are very real.

FUJI

Jeff

Lewis is English and I was rather proud to see him carry the flag around the circuit after winning the Championship and this. F1 brings credos to the UK as all the major teams are based here in England because of 'British' technical and 'inventiveness' skills.

There are many famous 'British' actors who left the UK to avoid taxes (M. Caine, etc) comedians (Billy Connerly) along with pop stars and even industrial millionaires but many of those through their work and the services around them still bring much money and jobs into the UK - I think perhaps we need to look at the broader perspective ?

Edited by colinb
  • Like 1

I am quite an F1 fan but like FUJI prefer motorcycle racing.

Hamilton is one hell of a driver without doubt but when things don't go his way I cant stand the big pet lip and "I don't want to talk about it" and all his toys getting thrown out of his pram.

To me a far better representative of British F1 is Jenson Button, he comes across as far more rounded, laid back and oozes charm. 

But Hamilton won the championship and he has a huge following so he must be in the running....for winning the championship maybe.... but "personality" no way.

And Jenson is domicile do in Monaco which I suppose is a good way to keep HMRC away from his £60million.

Lewis is English and I was rather proud to see him carry the flag around the circuit after winning the Championship and this. F1 brings credos to the UK as all the major teams are based here in England because of 'British' technical and 'inventiveness' skills.

There are many famous 'British' actors who left the UK to avoid taxes (M. Caine, etc) comedians (Billy Connerly) along with pop stars and even industrial millionaires but many of those through their work and the services around them still bring much money and jobs into the UK - I think perhaps we need to look at the broader perspective ?

A good debateable point I think. I am tempted to say expose them given there is a lot of chatter about Starbucks etc even though those companies pay property tax and employ lots of people.

I think there is a limitation on how many days Englishman Lewis et al can spend in England without paying personal tax here. Otherwise I would be tempted to have my pension taxed in Bahamas!

Jeff

Annual property tax seems the only way to get a bit back from them.

Ahh sport....Something I have never 'got'

I think I was born without a sport gene, as there is not a single sport you could name that I have the remotest interest in.... sports personalities even less!

I don't have one either Denis and THE LORD BE PRAISED!!! :animier:  :animier:  :animier:  my "Dearly Beloved" doesn't have one either

Edited by blackrox

I am quite an F1 fan but like FUJI prefer motorcycle racing.

Hamilton is one hell of a driver without doubt but when things don't go his way I cant stand the big pet lip and "I don't want to talk about it" and all his toys getting thrown out of his pram.

To me a far better representative of British F1 is Jenson Button, he comes across as far more rounded, laid back and oozes charm. 

But Hamilton won the championship and he has a huge following so he must be in the running....for winning the championship maybe.... but "personality" no way.

I think that's point with Lewis? He wears his heart on his sleeve, and sulks rather than saying what he actually thinks ("Nico pulled a stunt [at Monaco] to f*** up my qualifying lap" "Nico rammed me [in Belgium] and should be disqualified" - which is what many of us thought anyway!); I actually like that about him, and it shows in his racing too.

Jenson Button I also like, for different reasons - the ones you've said - but he will never be the fastest, most instinctive racer like Lewis Hamilton.

And let's not forget how much of a sulker Fernando Alonso is!

• Like 1

I think its easy to be critical of taking your £60 million off to a tax haven. But what would you do? Most people try and look after their pot of money to their best advantage?

He can do what he likes with it within the law so far as I am concerned. I suppose as a PAYE wage slave I could never understand the concept of what it would be like to pay 40% of the income from £60milion pot, or even £60thousand.

If I had £millions I think I would buy agricultural/forestry land, live on the rents and be a benevolent steward of a corner of England.

Jeff

I havnt a clue to the personality of any sporting star as I dont know any

I follow F1 but the personalitys of the stars are fed to me via the bbc and the other news media

What they say is usually corperation speak which can  often be not what they would like to say

So for me to know their personality based on fed information is at best wobbly.  

What I do know is Lewis is a remarkable F1 driver as is Alonso

The 22 drivers are in F1 because they are the best of the rest, or bring wealth, of those with the talent Lewis this year was the best hence he is the champion and yes the car was the best hence the constructers but when you have the best in the best you have to be damn unlucky not to win  

Sports personality of the year not for me

It should be sports person of the year a much better title

Edited by fuzzyedges
  • Like 2

I havnt a clue to the personality of any sporting star as I dont know any

I follow F1 but the personalitys of the stars are fed to me via the bbc and the other news media

What they say is usually corperation speak which can  often be not what they would like to say

So for me to know their personality based on fed information is at best wobbly.  

What I do know is Lewis is a remarkable F1 driver as is Alonso

The 22 drivers are in F1 because they are the best of the rest, or bring wealth, of those with the talent Lewis this year was the best hence he is the champion and yes the car was the best hence the constructers but when you have the best in the best you have to be damn unlucky not to win  

Sports personality of the year not for me

It should be sports person of the year a much better title

Agreed.

And F1 seems to me a triumph of marketing over dull reality with PR people having a tight grip on what reaches the public domain. But living abroad perhaps they have parallel lives to what the PR people tell us about.

Jeff

Agreed.

And F1 seems to me a triumph of marketing over dull reality with PR people having a tight grip on what reaches the public domain. But living abroad perhaps they have parallel lives to what the PR people tell us about.

Jeff

Hmm. I think we don't understand what's involved really. Richard Hammond couldn't get enough heat into the brakes and tyres when he tried to drive one and had to give up, and Clarkson virtually sh*t himself when he drove a for-sale-to-the-public F1-type car.

Hmm. I think we don't understand what's involved really. Richard Hammond couldn't get enough heat into the brakes and tyres when he tried to drive one and had to give up, and Clarkson virtually sh*t himself when he drove a for-sale-to-the-public F1-type car.

Not doubting skill, bravery etc etc. Only trouble is that it is about as exciting as Scalextric racing.

Much prefer bikes where you can see ( on TV ) the skills, daring etc.

Anyhow eulogising the skills of drivers is well off topic.

Jeff

Not doubting skill, bravery etc etc. Only trouble is that it is about as exciting as Scalextric racing.

Jeff

Off topic????? When the OP was discussing the Sports Personality of the Year, and whether Lewis Hamilton deserves to be considered? Strange definition of "off-topic"!!!!

Jeff

I totally disagree with your view on the excitement Jeff. My opinion is completely opposite to yours. :)

The trouble with (going off topic) is that the F1 race itself is only a part of the whole

A die hard fan of F1 is emersed in the technicalities of racing and racing cars plus the politics of racing the actual race is the cumilation of all the pieces

Where as some one who tunes in and expects instant excitment is often disapointed with a tactical race as opposed to a balls out racing duel which only occurs now and then

I dont even waste my time with those that wish to see crashes

As for personalities (going back on topic) if your idea of who they are is formed from the garbage press then you can make there actions fit your picture If on the other hand you form your opinions from how they act on the tele in interviews you could be equally wrong Unless you know them personally you really dont have any idea who they are But you can judge there skill and sportsmanship from there performances in their particular sport , which is what all sportsman of the year should be judged on

Edited by fuzzyedges
  • Like 1

The trouble with (going off topic) is that the F1 race itself is only a part of the whole

A die hard fan of F1 is emersed in the technicalities of racing and racing cars plus the politics of racing the actual race is the cumilation of all the pieces

Where as some one who tunes in and expects instant excitment is often disapointed with a tactical race as opposed to a balls out racing duel which only occurs now and then

As for personalities (going back on topic) if your idea of who they are is formed from the garbage press then you can make there actions fit your picture If on the other hand you form your opinions from how they act on the tele in interviews you could be equally wrong Unless you know them personally you really dont have any idea who they are But you can judge there skill and sportsmanship from there performances in their particular sport , which is what all sportsman of the year should be judged on

Total agreement with you on this post. Very sensible!

I understand the interest of the whole business/politics/showbiz and even the bit of sport involved. The same applies to premiership football and test cricket as examples. Strangely enough the person I have met most absorbed by premiership football was an Iraqi

academic turned barrister who returned to academia on retirement to do a doctorate at Oxford University.

Is all press garbage? Is press bad but Internet forums good for getting information? Do you have privileged access to information about motor sport not reported in the press?

If tactical means cars following each other around, say, Monte Carlo, with no chance of overtaking then tactical can indeed be tedious.

What sportsmanship is demonstrated in F1 ? As an detached casual observer there seems little sportsmanship but there seems lots of ego and temperament involved.

I guess the huge amounts of publicity and cash sloshing around gives F1 far more exposure than other sports, except footy, so no doubt that will play a part in deterring who is the sports personality of 2014.

Anyhow I shall not watch the programme. Seeing the non personality Queen's granddaughter ( I think that is the correct royalness)

win the comp. cured me of wasting my time with it.

Anyhow Match of the Day will be worth watching tonight :-))

Jeff