Hi to all our members ... We  would just like to draw your attention to the latest post on the following link... Thank you for your attention .If you have already responded to my note  on Chatbox  about this please ignore this sticky note ... Thanks  folks ....

http://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/46369-important~-the-forum-its-future-and-finances/

Clicker and Ryewolf   ADMIN TEAM 

Regretfully we have to once again ask members for  some financial support in order to  keep TIPF  running till December 2023. The more pledges we have to become  FRIEND OF THE FORUM  the less the individual cost will be so  if you want this Forum to continue  please follow the link below  and decide  if you are able to  support us . Thank you all for your support in the past ... it has been appreciated  a great deal ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-important-notice/

Clicker and Ryewolf  ...  Admin Team 

Hi TIPFers 

I AM HERE AGAIN WITH THE  BEGGING BOWL TO ENSURE THE FORUM CAN KEEP GOING ... Please follow  below if you want to  support the continuation  of this Forum and  this  small but friendly community. 

As always your support is  both vital and appreciated ...

Clicker and Ryewolf ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-4th-july-2023/

NINETY NINE PENCE PORTRAIT

FUJI

My first proper Portrait since my eye surgery....................this is exactly why I acquired my Panasonic GX7 ....it has a viewfinder, essential  for one eyed focussing ;-)

I had to make my mind up very quickly yesterday when I spotted this ideal portrait subject in our local 99 Pence Store..........I politely requested a portrait as he shopped..............After he had enquired exactly why and he had read my card, he agreed.

You can still see traces of that puzzled look in his expression, I have promise him a copy if he emails:

Best viewed LARGE.......click on Pic:

FUJI

post-4-0-37161000-1408022501.jpg

I wish I had the stones to just straight up ask someone for their portrait like this. Wonderful shot, Fuji, even with one eye.

Thank you Jam..........To answer your wondering.......I have discovered that, after a few seconds to weigh a potential portrait subject up, a straight approach is best, with explanation and card at the ready.

My card explains that I am doing a Portrait Project, and I explain that I am just an amateur photographer enjoying his hobby.......99% of subjects may have a question or two, then agree fully.......after thanking them I put them at ease with a positive comment and ( hopefully a smile) then ask them to look into the camera......I usually shoot at least two.

I never give my subjects time to pose or mess about.

The initial ASK is always a bit heart stopping.......one thing in our favour, is that tattooed or colourful characters enjoy being noticed.

Anyone who refuses is immediately thanked as I walk away.

By the way, I note that your Avatar is using his eyes like me currently.

FUJI

Thank you Jam..........To answer your wondering.......I have discovered that, after a few seconds to weigh a potential portrait subject up, a straight approach is best, with explanation and card at the ready.

My card explains that I am doing a Portrait Project, and I explain that I am just an amateur photographer enjoying his hobby.......99% of subjects may have a question or two, then agree fully.......after thanking them I put them at ease with a positive comment and ( hopefully a smile) then ask them to look into the camera......I usually shoot at least two.

I never give my subjects time to pose or mess about.

The initial ASK is always a bit heart stopping.......one thing in our favour, is that tattooed or colourful characters enjoy being noticed.

Anyone who refuses is immediately thanked as I walk away.

By the way, I note that your Avatar is using his eyes like me currently.

FUJI

Thanks for the insight, Fuji. One day I will have to give it a go - having produced some similar cards with contact info on.

Do you ever ask for model release or include in your explanation that the photograph may be published online?

My avatar is indeed, and that avatar is me - much easier to approach with the question, although he still doesn't like having his photo taken ;)

Thanks for the insight, Fuji. One day I will have to give it a go - having produced some similar cards with contact info on.

Do you ever ask for model release or include in your explanation that the photograph may be published online?

My avatar is indeed, and that avatar is me - much easier to approach with the question, although he still doesn't like having his photo taken ;)

Thank you Jam and everyone else who has responded positively, to this, one of the favourite portraits in my growing collection...

Model Release No.....never mention it because Im sure they will instantly kill the magic of the moment, I try to follow the best of the Street Photographers of the past, well before model releases were even thought of.

Can you image me yesterday? Imagine the scene, my subject and I are shopping in the 99 Pence Store......I approach him for permission to shoot, then I say, before I begin could you just sign this legal document?......most would ( understandably) run a mile.

I explain that they may appear on a forum like this, I might exhibit their pic or enter it into a competition, all of thus info is on my card so I take their willing permission as a signature. If the law ever comes that model releases are a must, then candid and semi canid Street Portraiture is dead.

I'm deliberately challenging the onward march of loss of simple freedoms as enjoyed in the past.

Rebel FUJI ;-)

As with a lot of 'street photography' the background can be a tad distracting but WOW that really is a cracker of a portrait and if you view the 'large' version - boy does this pop out the screen at you... nice to have you back Fuji.

As with a lot of 'street photography' the background can be a tad distracting but WOW that really is a cracker of a portrait and if you view the 'large' version - boy does this pop out the screen at you... nice to have you back Fuji.

Thank you all.........

The LUMIX micro four thirds14-42 kit lens is proving to be amazingly versatile, it is the one I keep on the GX7 most of the time.........I do have a Sigma 1-2.8 -60 ART Portrait Lens but that is a bit wide if I spot a bit of action close by and I need to widen my shot.

Popping out of the background?

This has been achieved by me recently learning the black art of the......High-pass-filter......its ability to sharpen an image or targeted parts of an image is phenomenal............it is the latter thoughtfully applied that has worked its magic here.

Previously I always used the Unsharp-Mask, but that could look very harsh if not well controlled.

The background here is untouched except for a little lightening to help throw my subject forward , being in a busy store I had no control on other shoppers, at least it puts my subject in context.

FUJI

that's a cracking image Fuji I really want to have a go at an edit lol well done and welcome back :)

Thanks, Paul..........yes please!

Have a go, then let me know what you did,so that I can have a bash.

Cheers!

FUJI

Thanks, Paul..........yes please!

Have a go, then let me know what you did,so that I can have a bash.

Cheers!

FUJI

I'll have a go after work, I'm not saying ill be able to do it but I will give it a go. Thank you for letting me have a bash :)

Archived