Hi to all our members ... We  would just like to draw your attention to the latest post on the following link... Thank you for your attention .If you have already responded to my note  on Chatbox  about this please ignore this sticky note ... Thanks  folks ....

http://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/46369-important~-the-forum-its-future-and-finances/

Clicker and Ryewolf   ADMIN TEAM 

Regretfully we have to once again ask members for  some financial support in order to  keep TIPF  running till December 2023. The more pledges we have to become  FRIEND OF THE FORUM  the less the individual cost will be so  if you want this Forum to continue  please follow the link below  and decide  if you are able to  support us . Thank you all for your support in the past ... it has been appreciated  a great deal ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-important-notice/

Clicker and Ryewolf  ...  Admin Team 

Hi TIPFers 

I AM HERE AGAIN WITH THE  BEGGING BOWL TO ENSURE THE FORUM CAN KEEP GOING ... Please follow  below if you want to  support the continuation  of this Forum and  this  small but friendly community. 

As always your support is  both vital and appreciated ...

Clicker and Ryewolf ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-4th-july-2023/

GOLDEN BOY

FUJI

I think that this shot is absolute proof that my current camera Macro settings and DIY diffuser are working well togerher to get results:

A single shot of a (Flesh?) Fly resting on a Bay Leaf............it was evening and pretty cool, the fly was just about catching the last warmth of a setting sun, so was very relaxed.

It allowed me to take a seies of shots, getting icreasingly closer, until I was too close to focus....this is the final and best shot............breaking two usual rules of macro photography advice.................it was shot..............Hand-Held and on Auto-Focus.

The Auto-Focus on my SONY A55 is extremely fast and efficient especially when using the dedicated SONY 2.8-100 Macro lens, the hunting it does, is not much different to swaying back and forth until focus is confirmed in Manual Setting...........the secret is to PRESS THE SHUTTER immediately you get confirmation.

Should anyone be interested in seeing a working sketch of my DIY diffuser (very basic) I can post it here later?

Best viewed LARGE........Click on Pic:

FUJI

post-4-0-52630300-1400749924.jpg

This is a good capture, it looks a bit over saturated though. Although I can't give an ID I'm certain it's not a Flesh Fly. In fact it looks very similar to the fly in a shot I posted yesterday of which no one bothered to comment on. Take away the differences in lighting and concentrate on the detail and both flies appear to be from the same family.  http://www.tipf.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=6301

Thanks folks......he is a...

Species Scathophaga stercoraria - or ......Golden Dung Fly......

No over saturation, they are that colour when lit brightly by the sun and a decent flash......look them up and you will see what I mean.

FUJI

I'm interested.

Here you go.......an extremely simple and very efficient method of getting just the right amount of light to the end of your lens where it matters most for macro photography.

You could spend a fortune on Flash brackets etc ( I have and they just become heavier and heavier in use) .....this is a very cheap way of solving the same problem.

The opaque plastic Cereal Box is a standard item in POUND STORES everywhere, or in any kitchen/hardware department. They are all a standard size and come with an airtight clip on lid.

With Safety First in mind I recommend that you soak the box first on near boiling water, this softens it up slightly because they tend to be brittle on being cut.

Very carefully use a Stanley knife to make the openings.

The mirror I used is a plastic one as used in schools for science projects, but it can easily be a small handbag mirror or cut from a plastic mirror tile.

Should you be shooting a shiny beetle etc, then a sheet of white tissue over the hole beneath the mirror will diffuse the flash......

I prefer to leave the lid off mine now, it allows more light through.

If made neatly, they can look quite professional.

Have Fun......mind your fingers.

FUJI

post-4-0-80963100-1400764200.jpg

sounds good,.. do you have a photo of the setup?

You wish is my command.....

Here you go........but please remember that this was ( at first) a scratch job, an experiment......but one that eventually turned out to be a ver real WINNER.

If I made another, it would be lots neater, and with more care taken over the hole cutting and placing of the foil and mirror.........I would like to see any version that members make.

The diffuser worked quite well minus the mirror and with the lid left on......but then I had the brainwave of removing the lid, adding the mirror, then cutting the lower hole........EUREKA!

The results ( as you can see) were a revelation, it works faultlessly.

These pics were taken very quickly with my phone camera, but they show you exactly just how simple and rustic it really is.

I can't emphasise enough, that great care needs to be taken when cutting the openings in the plastic container.

FUJI

post-4-0-40515600-1400775957.jpg

post-4-0-83454900-1400775970.jpg

Archived