Hi to all our members ... We  would just like to draw your attention to the latest post on the following link... Thank you for your attention .If you have already responded to my note  on Chatbox  about this please ignore this sticky note ... Thanks  folks ....

http://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/46369-important~-the-forum-its-future-and-finances/

Clicker and Ryewolf   ADMIN TEAM 

Regretfully we have to once again ask members for  some financial support in order to  keep TIPF  running till December 2023. The more pledges we have to become  FRIEND OF THE FORUM  the less the individual cost will be so  if you want this Forum to continue  please follow the link below  and decide  if you are able to  support us . Thank you all for your support in the past ... it has been appreciated  a great deal ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-important-notice/

Clicker and Ryewolf  ...  Admin Team 

Hi TIPFers 

I AM HERE AGAIN WITH THE  BEGGING BOWL TO ENSURE THE FORUM CAN KEEP GOING ... Please follow  below if you want to  support the continuation  of this Forum and  this  small but friendly community. 

As always your support is  both vital and appreciated ...

Clicker and Ryewolf ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-4th-july-2023/

Calibration Question...

I want to do some prints, but I'm having trouble calibrating my iMac so that what comes out of the printer matches what's on screen.

If I buy one of those Spyder or Colour Munki thingies (and I'm meaning the ones that are on Amazon for around £70 not the silly priced ones) will it make a difference? Or are the cheaper ones just not worth the effort?

Korky

I've got a Huey (oo-er missus!) - the cheaper one - and it's pretty useless. I've tried all kinds of calibration and I still can't get the colours the same. As a side note, I use a PC, so I don't know if it would be any different on a Mac.

This is what I've done:

1. By trial and error - adjust the screen calibration (via System Preferences / Displays / Colour) on my iMac until it matches the printer

2. Save that particular calibration as (something like) "iMac to printer"

3. Return to my normal screen calibration

Then, when printing anything :

1. Switch to the "iMac to printer" calibration

2. Open the image in Photoshop or Elements

3. Adjust colour if necessary to how I want it to look 

4. Print

5. (If I think I'll want to print it again sometime, I'll save a copy with the adjusted colours).

Though I've never made changes that way, Photoshop / Elements also allow you to change the printer's colour management, so that's yet another option.

The reason I do all this, is that I don't want to permanently calibrate my iMac to be the same as the printer : to my eyes, all printers and - initially, until I recalibrate - computer monitors are biased towards red / blue / magenta, so I ALWAYS recalibrate towards yellow / green.

Edited by ChrisLumix

I use a Spyder Pro hardware gizmo to calibrate my monitors but I also have profiles for my printer that I know give good results with particular papers and ink.

So my process is....

Check the calibration on the monitor regularly!

Check the printer profile occasionally and always if I am using a different brand or type of paper or ink.

Then in PS work on the picture until the screen shows what I want (I normally use sRGB or AdobeRGB for working space).

Apply the appropriate printer profile to the picture for printing, and it looks odd on screen because the printer and screen are not exactly matched.

The printout does look like the screen without the profile attached to the picture, so I may save the 'profiled' version as well as the unprofiled.

If I'm sending for printing by a lab or printer, I tend to download their profiles if available or just send sRGB which normally work quite well.

• 5 months later...

Hi All

I was just about to post a topic on this very subject but I think that my questions have been answered.

Must say how impressed I am with this forum, only just joined and I find it superb.

The information posted is invaluable, I can read it for hours.

Thanks