Hi to all our members ... We  would just like to draw your attention to the latest post on the following link... Thank you for your attention .If you have already responded to my note  on Chatbox  about this please ignore this sticky note ... Thanks  folks ....

http://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/46369-important~-the-forum-its-future-and-finances/

Clicker and Ryewolf   ADMIN TEAM 

Regretfully we have to once again ask members for  some financial support in order to  keep TIPF  running till December 2023. The more pledges we have to become  FRIEND OF THE FORUM  the less the individual cost will be so  if you want this Forum to continue  please follow the link below  and decide  if you are able to  support us . Thank you all for your support in the past ... it has been appreciated  a great deal ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-important-notice/

Clicker and Ryewolf  ...  Admin Team 

Hi TIPFers 

I AM HERE AGAIN WITH THE  BEGGING BOWL TO ENSURE THE FORUM CAN KEEP GOING ... Please follow  below if you want to  support the continuation  of this Forum and  this  small but friendly community. 

As always your support is  both vital and appreciated ...

Clicker and Ryewolf ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-4th-july-2023/

Help and advice needed on Lenses

So next year come end winter/Spring im looking at widening my photography skills and want to do Night photography IE Aurora, Star trails etc and ive come to the conclusion i need a better walk about lens as well, I currently use a 17-40mm f4L canon lens for landscap on full frame mainly and also wlka about now it serves its purpose well in the Peaks, scotland, and most dramatic mountain areas but i find im oftem at the long end and needing a touch more magnification wspecialy on walk about ( not an issue if i use it on a crop sensor body) 

So im looking at getting a faster f2.8 say 24-70 as i think tha extra focal lengh will be beneficial and th f2.8 will do me well for night photography. 

Now the options i have are the class leading Canon 24-70 f2.8 mk11  NO IS....Sigma ART 24-70 f2.8 this also has IS and the Tamron 24-70 f2.8 G2 this also has IS 

IS i feel may be needed as im getting older now and it could well help in future with shaky hands lol I have researched and read many tests and comparisons and just cannot make up my mind and dont know anyone who uses either the sigma or Tamrom I understand there both sharp but sigma does soften in corners wide open Tamron comes extreme;y close to the canon but one or two reviues have stated " The Tamron colours strait out of camera might not be what you expect" im hoping the reviewer is reffering to the Jpeg images although non state as such ( i always shoot RAW so it may not be an issue) but it nigles me.

Does anyone here have any experience of either these 2 lens or do i really need to suck it up and buy the Canon that going to be £1000 or more second hand. Sigma similar price just a bit less and Tamron around £200 less all second hand also for the price of the cano second hand it isnt much more to buy either of the other 2 new. Or is there another option ? 

Any help or advice  please 

Sigma, as a rule, have a problem with diffraction especially when wide open and for that reason I avoid their lenses like the plague.  

If it were me, then I would look at the Canon lens for both quality and reliability.  I see on Ebay there is the lens you want in mint condition for £529.99 direct from Japan.  With postage and packing and including the duty you'll have to pay. (£120.00 approx), you'll be looking at a total price of £660.  (circa).

I have bought lenses from Japan before and from paying to delivery it took three days to get to me.

Here.

24-70mm

Hope this helps.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Fogey said:

Sigma, as a rule, have a problem with diffraction especially when wide open and for that reason I avoid their lenses like the plague.  

If it were me, then I would look at the Canon lens for both quality and reliability.  I see on Ebay there is the lens you want in mint condition for £529.99 direct from Japan.  With postage and packing and including the duty you'll have to pay. (£120.00 approx), you'll be looking at a total price of £660.  (circa).

I have bought lenses from Japan before and from paying to delivery it took three days to get to me.

Here.

24-70mm

Hope this helps.

Thank you Foggy I will look into that looks like they maybe they are cheaper over there than here in rip off Britain lol 

On 12/11/2023 at 21:59, Fogey said:

Not really rip-off Mark, when you consider.

Japan don't have to pay UK business tax, Uk business utilities costs, business rates and the like.

Foggy it appears the link in japan is for the mk 1  hence the price they are comparable here i am considering the mk 2 version alongside the Sigma (slowly losing ground that on is) and the Tamron which is favourite if i can get advice about these colours.

14 hours ago, Leon said:

I use a Sima 17-50 F2.8 designed for the crop body 80D,  never ad a problem with it..     have done loads of portraits and landscape over the years.   bought for £200 used never ad any probblems and nice and sharp

Thank you for replying Leon