Hi to all our members ... We  would just like to draw your attention to the latest post on the following link... Thank you for your attention .If you have already responded to my note  on Chatbox  about this please ignore this sticky note ... Thanks  folks ....

http://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/46369-important~-the-forum-its-future-and-finances/

Clicker and Ryewolf   ADMIN TEAM 

Regretfully we have to once again ask members for  some financial support in order to  keep TIPF  running till December 2023. The more pledges we have to become  FRIEND OF THE FORUM  the less the individual cost will be so  if you want this Forum to continue  please follow the link below  and decide  if you are able to  support us . Thank you all for your support in the past ... it has been appreciated  a great deal ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-important-notice/

Clicker and Ryewolf  ...  Admin Team 

Hi TIPFers 

I AM HERE AGAIN WITH THE  BEGGING BOWL TO ENSURE THE FORUM CAN KEEP GOING ... Please follow  below if you want to  support the continuation  of this Forum and  this  small but friendly community. 

As always your support is  both vital and appreciated ...

Clicker and Ryewolf ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-4th-july-2023/

Sigma, Tamron etc?

After some really helpful input from our TIPF friends, and some really serious agonizing, I have decided on which new camera body I'll buy. Now I might need a hand with what to hang on the front of it.

I rather fancy a fairly narrow band zoom, with macro as I enjoy bug shooting etc. What do you think of say a 15-85 zoom, to start with, bearing in mind I have no lenses at all for the new body. I think 15-85 would be a good start as it will be my only lens to start with. What do you think?????

Also, would you go with the camera brand lens or say, Sigma, Tamron etc.

Also, are the top dollar brand lenses so much better than the above mentioned.

I think that's enough for now. I think you will agree that we are all brand loyal to some degree, and the last thing I want is to start a bun fight. but I would really appreciate your input.

What body did you go for Brian?

Hi Annie

I think I'll probably go for the Canon 70d, as I can't imagine life without a fully articulated screen.

Incidentally we went to the dogs (so to speak) last night, Greyhound racing last night and got chatting with the course photographer. She had a Canon 7d and was getting fantastic photos. There was I, banging away with my little Nikon p520 with its super zoom, getting horribly grainy results, while hers were lovely and sharp. I suppose it's the old saying, "you gets what you pays for". But we had a good time anyway; lost a few bob, had a few beers, great.

I found the hardest bit was getting a picture of a dog at all, any dog. I got plenty of the hare. By the time you got it lined up it was gone. This is the best I could do. I think I was too far back too.

post-850-0-21838200-1396586507.jpg

• Like 1

can't help with the macro but I have a sigma 10/20mm which must be 4 years old now and apart from the lens hood becoming detached and getting itself lost it has never let me down. OE lens are probably better built but I do think Sigma and Tamron have 'upped' their game over the last year. 

I have the 18-135 STM IS which came as an option with my 70D. It doesn't do macro - only a macro lens will do that anyway, but you could always try a close up filter or some extension tubes. That lens will give you a good medium zoom and can be used as a walk around lens.

All the photos >>  HERE  << were taken with the 70D & the 18-135STM IS lens.

Paul.

• Like 1

I use the Nikon AF-S 16-85mm and find it a fantastic range on a crop body. The thing I like is the extra few mm's at the wide end for day to day shooting - the Canon is the same and gets a great write-up.

The other one to consider is the Sigma 17-50mm f2.8 OS. Granted the range is shorter but is is a little brighter and a fixed aperture.

Macro wise you're probably going to have to look long term at a dedicated lens or find a 70-300mm that has a close focus to keep you happy in the shorter term.

• Like 2

After some really helpful input from our TIPF friends, and some really serious agonizing, I have decided on which new camera body I'll buy. Now I might need a hand with what to hang on the front of it.

I rather fancy a fairly narrow band zoom, with macro as I enjoy bug shooting etc. What do you think of say a 15-85 zoom, to start with, bearing in mind I have no lenses at all for the new body. I think 15-85 would be a good start as it will be my only lens to start with. What do you think?????

Also, would you go with the camera brand lens or say, Sigma, Tamron etc.

Also, are the top dollar brand lenses so much better than the above mentioned.

I think that's enough for now. I think you will agree that we are all brand loyal to some degree, and the last thing I want is to start a bun fight. but I would really appreciate your input.

You want to read reviews of each lens you are considering and see which one is best for you. The OEM lenses will SOMETIMES be better than independent brands, but not always, and that's the important thing to remember here. Sigma and Tamron have been around for decades, and Sigma were pioneers of the computer-designed lens (a good thing, not a bad thing, as computers could number-crunch the kind of optical variables to be factored in, in a fraction of the time it would take human designers).

So if you've decided to start with a 15-85 zoom (is that 35mm equivalent by the way?), then look at that focal range - or near enough - in Canon, Sigma, Tamron, perhaps even Zeiss if they do them with Canon adaptors. Compare reviews, sample pictures, and prices, and then make your decision. 

• Like 1