Hi to all our members ... We  would just like to draw your attention to the latest post on the following link... Thank you for your attention .If you have already responded to my note  on Chatbox  about this please ignore this sticky note ... Thanks  folks ....

http://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/46369-important~-the-forum-its-future-and-finances/

Clicker and Ryewolf   ADMIN TEAM 

Regretfully we have to once again ask members for  some financial support in order to  keep TIPF  running till December 2023. The more pledges we have to become  FRIEND OF THE FORUM  the less the individual cost will be so  if you want this Forum to continue  please follow the link below  and decide  if you are able to  support us . Thank you all for your support in the past ... it has been appreciated  a great deal ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-important-notice/

Clicker and Ryewolf  ...  Admin Team 

Hi TIPFers 

I AM HERE AGAIN WITH THE  BEGGING BOWL TO ENSURE THE FORUM CAN KEEP GOING ... Please follow  below if you want to  support the continuation  of this Forum and  this  small but friendly community. 

As always your support is  both vital and appreciated ...

Clicker and Ryewolf ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-4th-july-2023/

£25 LED ring flash for macro?

I've been browsing Ebay and looking at LED ring flash units to use on my Nikon D5100 with extension tubes. There is a wide range available for around £25. Has anyone here had experience of using these low price units? Is it worth a punt or would I be better off spending more money on a decent branded product?

Here's a link to one of the many examples:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Powerful-LED-Light-Macro-Ring-48-For-Canon-Nikon-Sigma-Lens-/380777481797?pt=UK_CamerasPhoto_CameraAccessories_CameraFlashUnits_JN&hash=item58a81b4645

The best ones control right and left light seperatly so as  to control shadows but for £25 ?? I am sure there are other bits like colour cast that the dear ones control

Maybe for experimentation but I would stick it out for a known brand and read all the reviews

I've no experience with an LED ring flash but for £25.00 I would imagine the results would be a bit hit and miss. I have a Sigma EM-140 DG Macro Flash which cost me £315.00 and that price was discounted. If you decide to purchase the LED ring flash and get good results I'll probably go jump under a train... :rofl:

Edited by JohnP

I think I'm gonna keep my money in my pocket for now. I've seen a few video reviews that say they are great, really awesome, like cool man, heck this is bright; but I don't see any photographic evidence. It's like most of the reviewers don't even know what macro is!

I also read a couple of reviews on another forum; they both said exposure is difficult and light control is not flexible enough.

If you decide to purchase the LED ring flash and get good results I'll probably go jump under a train... :rofl:

Looks like you're safe for now John!

Thanks for the links pdcpic. The first vid shows the ring being used more like a beauty dish for portraits, and the way he introduces the macro is almost as if it's a by-product of the position of the light. It's also not a flash but would probably make an ok video light.

I've just posted a video of a guy called Don who does amazing macro photography; he uses a Pringles tube as a flash deflector!  :wallbash:

Hi, Martyn,

I'm coming late into this discussion.....apologies!

I purchased a fairly decent Ring Flash from eBay, the results were so dissapointing, I gave it away soon afterwards the results are shadow free and flat......OK for jewellery and other small items but useless for insects, bugs, spiders and plants, they require clarity and contrast to look totally natural.

I also have a .....Ring Light, a similar fit but just a circle of powerful daylight blue Leds....OK for products of oerhsps portraits but useless for living things.

My best results fir macro have come via my seek cation of simple to make DIY Flash a Diffusers and Reflectors.......my latest and most efficient is a simple opaque lidded plastic pudding basin, cut with a trap door that fits tightly over my Speedlight.

The top quadrant of the basin, is covered with cooking foil as a reflector.......the INSIDE. of the lid, is lined with a circle of white kitchen towel to act as a Diffuser.

Used with my SONY 2.8-100 Dedicated Macro lens it is Super efficient.....

Set you camera to F 11 or F 16..........Shutter to 160th..........Flash set to suit Ambient Light.......you will get almost guaranteed good results........

As you saw, Flash Reflectors/Diffusers, can be DIY constructed from anything that will take the light from the flash to the front of whatever lens you have fitted.

Save your money, and enjoy a bit of DIY.......you will find a few ideas on YouTube.....

Trawl through my posts if you can, I posted full instructions and pics about a year ago now.

FUJI

• Like 1