Hi to all our members ... We  would just like to draw your attention to the latest post on the following link... Thank you for your attention .If you have already responded to my note  on Chatbox  about this please ignore this sticky note ... Thanks  folks ....

http://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/46369-important~-the-forum-its-future-and-finances/

Clicker and Ryewolf   ADMIN TEAM 

Regretfully we have to once again ask members for  some financial support in order to  keep TIPF  running till December 2023. The more pledges we have to become  FRIEND OF THE FORUM  the less the individual cost will be so  if you want this Forum to continue  please follow the link below  and decide  if you are able to  support us . Thank you all for your support in the past ... it has been appreciated  a great deal ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-important-notice/

Clicker and Ryewolf  ...  Admin Team 

Hi TIPFers 

I AM HERE AGAIN WITH THE  BEGGING BOWL TO ENSURE THE FORUM CAN KEEP GOING ... Please follow  below if you want to  support the continuation  of this Forum and  this  small but friendly community. 

As always your support is  both vital and appreciated ...

Clicker and Ryewolf ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-4th-july-2023/

Dovers white cliffs...

Denis

Taken from the 'Spirit Of Britain'  as I set out for Normandy last October. This was a 0630 crossing and I had to rush the shot as the Ferry turned to starboard just  before the rising sun was right in my face!

10949917275_0dc3021339_c.jpg

The White Cliffs of Dover are a great photographic subject and I like the way you got a lot of them in...wide angle lens?

I don't know if its the shadows caused by the low sun or post processing but the cliffs look like they have slightly more contrast to them than they should...just a personal 1st impression opinion. But I love the surface of the sea and the way the pier stretches back to the shore I think it gives great perspective to the shot.

This is taken from the RAW original with minimal interferance from me! I was playing around with GIMP and got the water as I wanted it but the sky bit didnt work. I'm absolutely useless with photoshop type software, I really dont understand the terminology of the tools and filters and things, let alone know how to use them!

In future I shall stick to 'out of the camera' But seeing Bills beautiful creations made me want to tinker...alas it dont work!

10952555315_bacb64f2dd_c.jpg

This is taken from the RAW original with minimal interferance from me! I was playing around with GIMP and got the water as I wanted it but the sky bit didnt work. I'm absolutely useless with photoshop type software, I really dont understand the terminology of the tools and filters and things, let alone know how to use them!

In future I shall stick to 'out of the camera' But seeing Bills beautiful creations made me want to tinker...alas it dont work!

Hi Denis

The only way to learn software like photoshop is to experiment with it so don't give up! We were all 'useless' with it at one time! have a look on youtube at something like raw editing with photoshop or using any of the other things like filters, layers and so-on.

And slow down, experiment and look at the effect different things have on your image. I am no-where near being an expert on photoshop but by looking on youtube, and experimenting myself I kind of know my way about.

Most of my editing is done on the raw file to just polish it up a bit and I do very little if anything once that's done.

Above all enjoy it  :yes

Photoshop is not the easiest thing to learn, but believe me it's a doddle compared to GIMP! Like much open source software, it looks like it's been designed by a committee. Yes, I know it's free, but so is Photoshop CS2 if you go to Adobe's website and  download it. 

Maybe we have the makings of a new forum challenge here; Someone puts up a link to something like Dropbox containing a raw image. Those who are able, edit the image and post the JPG result on the forum.

I'd love to have a go at this image!

.....and that doesn't mean I think there's anything wrong with it, I just think it has loads going for it!

Maybe we have the makings of a new forum challenge here; Someone puts up a link to something like Dropbox containing a raw image. Those who are able, edit the image and post the JPG result on the forum.

I'd love to have a go at this image!

.....and that doesn't mean I think there's anything wrong with it, I just think it has loads going for it!

I know that iPhoto will accept RAWs from a range of cameras, and so will CS2, but can you just import a RAW file that's not from camera? (I've never shot RAW, you can probably tell..)

Cheers all, 

I have Gimp, but cannot get the plugin for Nikons RAW NEF files to work. 

Most of the tutorials for Gimp feature an American tech geek who a) cannot speak clearly, b) cannot record a tutorial style film clip for love nor money!, c) Features an interface that does not resemble anything I have installed!

It seems that the downloads on the adobe site are just free trials, but in any case it would still have things like 'gaussian blur' 'Antilas using the Scale 3X extra-edge expolation algorithm'....what?   Now I can pull down and rebuild engines with my eyes shut, I build my own computers but terminology like that leaves me...clueless :)

I think I will stick to fiddling with NEF files in NX2, I really dont think post processing on the photoshop scale is in my margins of capability!

I think I will stick to fiddling with NEF files in NX2, I really dont think post processing on the photoshop scale is in my margins of capability!

I find NX2 a very capable and flexible tool which I use it before converting and only then if necessary move onto Photoshop.

(and if it is any help I'm always happy to offer advice on using Photoshop) 

Cheers all, 

I have Gimp, but cannot get the plugin for Nikons RAW NEF files to work. 

Most of the tutorials for Gimp feature an American tech geek who a) cannot speak clearly, b) cannot record a tutorial style film clip for love nor money!, c) Features an interface that does not resemble anything I have installed!

It seems that the downloads on the adobe site are just free trials, but in any case it would still have things like 'gaussian blur' 'Antilas using the Scale 3X extra-edge expolation algorithm'....what?   Now I can pull down and rebuild engines with my eyes shut, I build my own computers but terminology like that leaves me...clueless :)

Nope. Google "CS2 free download" and you will find your way to the Adobe page where the entire CS2 suite is available for both Mac and PC, along with the serial numbers to unlock the software. You may have to click through a couple of warning screens telling you it's unsupported software and won't run on modern platforms (piffle!) but you should get there eventually. CS2 doesn't have quite all the bells and whistles of the latest Photoshop, but it's still pretty powerful stuff.

As for 'Gaussian blur", that's great for turning partly in-focus backgrounds into good bokeh - the best way is to experiment and see what happens. You can always Undo several levels of action in Photoshop. 

As for "Antilas using the Scale 3X extra-edge expolation algorithm" you'd only use that when you want to pootle your unmasked layer grouping history ... or so I'm told :lol:

Hmmm,

Now you see I have a problem with that, when you actually read the terms it states that 'for those who have paid and hold a valid licence to use the CS2 product, there is no longer server authentication'.

For those who need to reinstall the software that they have rights to, then they can reinstall from that link.  Since, as I mentioned, there is no longer server authentication for that particular version, then they as a legal Adobe licence holder can use the posted serial key to use the said software.

So to sum up, If I have not paid, then I'm not entitled to download it!

I dont know what lengths Adobe would go to, but to provide even an email address means you can be traced via your ISP.

Hmmm,

Now you see I have a problem with that, when you actually read the terms it states that 'for those who have paid and hold a valid licence to use the CS2 product, there is no longer server authentication'.

For those who need to reinstall the software that they have rights to, then they can reinstall from that link.  Since, as I mentioned, there is no longer server authentication for that particular version, then they as a legal Adobe licence holder can use the posted serial key to use the said software.

So to sum up, If I have not paid, then I'm not entitled to download it!

I dont know what lengths Adobe would go to, but to provide even an email address means you can be traced via your ISP.

Thousands of people have grabbed themselves a free copy of CS2, including me, so I'm guessing you are perfectly entitled to take advantage of this free download. They wouldn't have put it up there if they were serious about delivering it only to licence holders. I'm guessing Adobe aren't going to any lengths at all to trace people who took advantage of a free offer. After all, they give the serial number for each component as well as the software itself. 

Thousands of people have grabbed themselves a free copy of CS2, including me, so I'm guessing you are perfectly entitled to take advantage of this free download. They wouldn't have put it up there if they were serious about delivering it only to licence holders. I'm guessing Adobe aren't going to any lengths at all to trace people who took advantage of a free offer. After all, they give the serial number for each component as well as the software itself. 

Chris, I've just joined the thousands and downloaded a copy. Can CS2 be configured to open and work on NEF files or do I have to convert to JPG first?

Chris, I've just joined the thousands and downloaded a copy. Can CS2 be configured to open and work on NEF files or do I have to convert to JPG first?

I'm afraid I know nothing about NEF and I don't shoot RAW so can't help you there Martyn. Soz. :(

Archived