Hi to all our members ... We  would just like to draw your attention to the latest post on the following link... Thank you for your attention .If you have already responded to my note  on Chatbox  about this please ignore this sticky note ... Thanks  folks ....

http://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/46369-important~-the-forum-its-future-and-finances/

Clicker and Ryewolf   ADMIN TEAM 

Regretfully we have to once again ask members for  some financial support in order to  keep TIPF  running till December 2023. The more pledges we have to become  FRIEND OF THE FORUM  the less the individual cost will be so  if you want this Forum to continue  please follow the link below  and decide  if you are able to  support us . Thank you all for your support in the past ... it has been appreciated  a great deal ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-important-notice/

Clicker and Ryewolf  ...  Admin Team 

Hi TIPFers 

I AM HERE AGAIN WITH THE  BEGGING BOWL TO ENSURE THE FORUM CAN KEEP GOING ... Please follow  below if you want to  support the continuation  of this Forum and  this  small but friendly community. 

As always your support is  both vital and appreciated ...

Clicker and Ryewolf ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-4th-july-2023/

BIG mistake!

ChrisLumix

Here's an afternoon of my life I'll never get back again.

This is the shot I started with (which was never going to go into 'Macro & Close-ups' by the way - those guys are far too good for this to be set alongside their briliance):

post-677-0-60102400-1380122598.jpg

I thought I could make one improvement though - make the back ground to be more out of focus. It was fairly easy to separate the two using Elements' Magic Extractor. Apply some Gaussian blur to the BG and voilà!

post-677-0-83826000-1380122620.jpg

Not too bad, though I say so myself, at least compared to the first shot. But yes, you've noticed already - the gaussian blur killed the web. Now this is where I say to you all : if EVER you think to yourself, "Oooh, I wonder if I can select a spider's web?", I can tell you right here, right now, NO!!!! Swallow bleach, jump off the Forth Bridge, lie down on the East Coast main line, before you ever attempt this utterly impossible task. This is the mess I ended up with : 

post-677-0-00325900-1380122654.jpg

Let this be a lesson to you all - spider webs CANNOT BE SELECTED! RUN! Don't even think about it.

Meantime I must tell you about this little fellow. A few weeks ago he set up his web home slung between my wing mirror, driver's window, and car body (I habitually park by bushes). His 'beat a hasty retreat' hiding place is between the actual mirror and its casing.

However, when I drive somewhere (2 or 3 times a week - short journeys), he is often NOT in his hiding place, but clinging to his web for dear life, buffeted by the breeze of motion, and gusts from vehicles in the opposite direction.

He clings, he swings, he sways, but still he holds on, body hunched up as if to gain extra purchase. But not only does he survive, his web does too, completely intact. I reckon they should replicate what spiders' webs are made of and build bridges from it…

Actually, I keep saying "he", but with the obstinate survival instinct on display, I reckon it's a "she"!

I think it needs some web to keep it in context - though of course being obviously a spider means a web is needed to recognise it.

You did very ell I think to remove the BG.

And you're right about the sexing, he is most definitely a she.

Paul.

I think it needs some web to keep it in context - though of course being obviously a spider means a web is needed to recognise it.

You did very ell I think to remove the BG.

And you're right about the sexing, he is most definitely a she.

Paul.

You're speaking entomologically - you actually can tell? Just out of interest, what are the defining characteristics?

Archived