Hi to all our members ... We  would just like to draw your attention to the latest post on the following link... Thank you for your attention .If you have already responded to my note  on Chatbox  about this please ignore this sticky note ... Thanks  folks ....

http://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/46369-important~-the-forum-its-future-and-finances/

Clicker and Ryewolf   ADMIN TEAM 

Regretfully we have to once again ask members for  some financial support in order to  keep TIPF  running till December 2023. The more pledges we have to become  FRIEND OF THE FORUM  the less the individual cost will be so  if you want this Forum to continue  please follow the link below  and decide  if you are able to  support us . Thank you all for your support in the past ... it has been appreciated  a great deal ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-important-notice/

Clicker and Ryewolf  ...  Admin Team 

Hi TIPFers 

I AM HERE AGAIN WITH THE  BEGGING BOWL TO ENSURE THE FORUM CAN KEEP GOING ... Please follow  below if you want to  support the continuation  of this Forum and  this  small but friendly community. 

As always your support is  both vital and appreciated ...

Clicker and Ryewolf ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-4th-july-2023/

Is it me, or...

I'm just wondering if its my eyes or whether anyone has heard of the sensor in a camera being slightly out of alignment?

Pretty sure the Canon 500D has no gridlines for me to check with, but virtually all of my shots are on a slight tilt - It looks spot on to me until I see it on the computer.  Its been bothering me for a bit and reading the canaries sunset thread brought it to the fore :-)

I wonder if you could check the level by placing a small spirit level across the top of the flash hotshoe whilst photographing the horizon.

I have found that there are so many conflicting reference points in the frame it can be difficult to know when the camera is level. I recon that as long as the image is in focus it's always possible to adjust for the horizontal later.

Maybe the sensor is perfectly level, it's the camera body that's out of line!   :rofl:

I'm convinced I have one leg shorter than the other as most of my shots droop to the right. I've given up getting it right in camera and check when I'm processing them.

My K30 has a neat trick where you can "straighten" the horizon in the camera by twisting the sensor. Never tried it but might if I ever have time while taking a shot.

What is wrong with using the.....in-camera grids......to be found in the menu.....just ensure that the horizontal line of the horizon is dead on that?

Otherwise, just shoot way then straighten up slanting horizontals in your preferred photo software.

Or.........

STAND UP STRAIGHT MAN! ;-)

FUJI

• Like 1

One way to test...     set your camera on a tripod or other flat surface and level it to a true horizontal using a spirit level, not the one that may be on the tripod because that is only a guide, a proper one with a bubble perhaps.

Then put the spirit level on a horizontal surface to make sure that is also horizontal as the subject.

To avoid heavy finger syndrome, use the timer on your camera or a remote release to take a picture of the spirit level and the surface it's on, then check the horizontal in PS or whatever you are using.

The main reason for doing it like this is to make sure both camera and subject are at exactly the same angle. If the sensor itself is tilted, it will be evident in the picture.

There are other high-tech methods but this should be possible on pretty much any camera, and if it's tilted you need to decide if it needs servicing or if you can live with it.

If you are a regular user of wide angle lenses they will curve the horizon anyway. As Bug's says level the camera on a tripod and use a normal to short telephoto lens to test the camera, preferably using a remote or delayed release so as not to jar it when pressing the release. To be sure it's the camera and not you causing the problem you need to remove the human element from the equation as much as possible

http://digital-photography-school.com/getting-horizons-horizontal

I am sure you always hold your camera properly, but for those who don't know the correct way:-

http://brentmailphotography.com/free-photography-tips/how-to-hold-your-digital-slr-camera-like-a-pro.html

• 2 weeks later...

I shall give these a try, and report back, thanks

Have to say its not really a problem, more of a niggle, and someone at work has now pointed out that my screen is on a slant there too - I wonder if its the payback for the years playing tighthead prop, like the crushed discs and fractured vertebrae :-)