Hi to all our members ... We  would just like to draw your attention to the latest post on the following link... Thank you for your attention .If you have already responded to my note  on Chatbox  about this please ignore this sticky note ... Thanks  folks ....

http://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/46369-important~-the-forum-its-future-and-finances/

Clicker and Ryewolf   ADMIN TEAM 

Regretfully we have to once again ask members for  some financial support in order to  keep TIPF  running till December 2023. The more pledges we have to become  FRIEND OF THE FORUM  the less the individual cost will be so  if you want this Forum to continue  please follow the link below  and decide  if you are able to  support us . Thank you all for your support in the past ... it has been appreciated  a great deal ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-important-notice/

Clicker and Ryewolf  ...  Admin Team 

Hi TIPFers 

I AM HERE AGAIN WITH THE  BEGGING BOWL TO ENSURE THE FORUM CAN KEEP GOING ... Please follow  below if you want to  support the continuation  of this Forum and  this  small but friendly community. 

As always your support is  both vital and appreciated ...

Clicker and Ryewolf ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-4th-july-2023/

OF SAINTS AND ANGELS

FUJI

The Great West Doors and Screen at the entrance to the amazing New Coventry Cathederal was engraved by Artist ...John Hutton.......I remember that I used to take my then five-year old daughter to see progress on the building during the mid 1960s:

I clearly recall watching John Hutton, using industrial diamond grinders and wheel cuuters to scrape, score and scratch the huge figures of Saints and Angels onto the huge plate-glass panels:

This is just one, that was lit beautifully by the sun yesterday......through my new GF1 camera:

See here for details:

Screen of Saints and Angels, by John Hutton, Coventry Cathedral'' target='_blank'>Screen of Saints and Angels, by John Hutton, Coventry Cathedral>Screen of Saints and Angels, by John Hutton, Coventry Cathedral

Best viewed LARGE....Click on Pic:

FUJI

post-4-0-27480100-1377716149.jpg

Was there a reason for shooting only 2/3 of it? E.g. to capture the staff as a complete diagonal?

Hi, Chris,

If you look at the link I posted, you will see that the entrance screen is an enormous stretch of heavy plate glass, with an Angel or a Saint on every panel......it is very frustrating to photograph, obviously transparent when lit from inside, but reflective when lit from outside, with all states in between.....it just happened, this panel was lit perfectly from the side as you see it......only one, two panels away was catching the light in the same way........my shot took in unnatractive, frames, a view into the Cathederal, and a reflection of myself taking the pic......I just cropped right down until all of that vanished.

FUJI

Thank you folks.......

One can only admire the Artist/Craftsman .....John Hutton.....for the sheer verve and spirit he instilled in this lively bunch of Holy Figures, by using industrial angle grinders, diamond cutting tools and sanders to interprett his original sketches, straight onto the heavy plate-glass screen, after it was installed.

I often saw him in overalls, wearing safety goggles and overalls, as he used screaming machinery to etch, scratch and cut all those amazing shapes, features and textures........if you study just this one, you will see exactly what I mean.

I engrave lead crystal Glass myself sometimes, and do Pyrography on beech panels and other wooden items.......it is scary because, once a mark is made, it can't be removed or disguised, so one slip can cause disaster....and....in his case.....great expense.....just look at that amazing face above......

NO!.......NOT MY AVATAR ;-)

FUJI

I have just discovered this amazing bit if film documentary featuring John Hutton at work in his studio.......it is obviouse to me now, that the work I saw him carrying out on a scaffolding to the huge glass screen, he was adding finishing touches to studio engraved panels.

Please watch.....

http://bps.britishpathe.com/hls-vod/flash/00000000/00002000/00002591.mp4.m3u8

FUJI

Archived