Hi to all our members ... We  would just like to draw your attention to the latest post on the following link... Thank you for your attention .If you have already responded to my note  on Chatbox  about this please ignore this sticky note ... Thanks  folks ....

http://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/46369-important~-the-forum-its-future-and-finances/

Clicker and Ryewolf   ADMIN TEAM 

Regretfully we have to once again ask members for  some financial support in order to  keep TIPF  running till December 2023. The more pledges we have to become  FRIEND OF THE FORUM  the less the individual cost will be so  if you want this Forum to continue  please follow the link below  and decide  if you are able to  support us . Thank you all for your support in the past ... it has been appreciated  a great deal ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-important-notice/

Clicker and Ryewolf  ...  Admin Team 

Hi TIPFers 

I AM HERE AGAIN WITH THE  BEGGING BOWL TO ENSURE THE FORUM CAN KEEP GOING ... Please follow  below if you want to  support the continuation  of this Forum and  this  small but friendly community. 

As always your support is  both vital and appreciated ...

Clicker and Ryewolf ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-4th-july-2023/

Through the oblong window

Martyn

Dunno if this is HDR or not. I knew what I wanted to achieve with this shot but I only have a point & shoot with no manual settings. I wanted the sea and sky correctly exposed, likewise the inside of the tower and I also wanted the bell rope in focus to add depth.I took lots of shots and think I managed to make this one work. I focused on the sunlit stonework, half pressed the shutter to lock focus and exposure then re framed the shot hoping that the depth of field would keep everything in focus. In GIMP I produced one pic with the sea and sky adjusted and another with the stonework adjusted. Then using layer masks I erased the badly exposed stonework on the top layer to combine both images. I know it's not a fantastic image but, considering my equipment and the fact that knew nothing technical a few weeks ago, I'm feeling pleased with myself! :D

Window_zps6ee9e31f.jpg

Well, at very it's basic level, HDR is all about bringing out detail in both highlight and lowlight regions and that's exactly what you've done here.

It doesn't have the over-processed look that often goes with more developed HDR work, but it has brought out the details which is what you were after.

And I must say that you ended up with a very natural looking picture that works very well.

don't know if you would get what your after but I would have metered for the sky, half pressed the shutter, recomposed and turned on the flash, this would have the blue sky/sea and the flash would have lit the stonework.

as the point n shoot flash is not the most powerful and only useful for 3-5 feet or there about's I don't think it would have burnt the stonework out. then adjust as needed in the software.

also have a look at the horizon, needs a little straightening. overall a good effort.

geoff

• 5 weeks later...

I've never attempted HDR, but intrigued by the thought though......

Martyn, I would say that you have made a good attempt in bringing out the detail in both the inside wall, shadow etc.  As for the horizon, well, you can straighten that relatively easy.  Fab!  :yes

I'd call that HDR certainly - after all it stands for "High Dynamic Range" and that's what you've achieved. I tried GIMP once, but as I have Photoshop, I couldn't adjust to the totally different workflow. But you've made a good job, I think.

<rant> I think they should come up with a new name for those - yes, often excitingly attractive, yet also surreal - overprocessed shots that seem to go under the HDR banner these days. </rant>

to me this is what HDR is about its about having the correct exposure across the whole image when there are very light and very dark areas. What I see far too often is people overegging the HDR effect so you can see its an HDR image which generally ruins the image in my opinion 

Archived