Hi to all our members ... We  would just like to draw your attention to the latest post on the following link... Thank you for your attention .If you have already responded to my note  on Chatbox  about this please ignore this sticky note ... Thanks  folks ....

http://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/46369-important~-the-forum-its-future-and-finances/

Clicker and Ryewolf   ADMIN TEAM 

Regretfully we have to once again ask members for  some financial support in order to  keep TIPF  running till December 2023. The more pledges we have to become  FRIEND OF THE FORUM  the less the individual cost will be so  if you want this Forum to continue  please follow the link below  and decide  if you are able to  support us . Thank you all for your support in the past ... it has been appreciated  a great deal ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-important-notice/

Clicker and Ryewolf  ...  Admin Team 

Hi TIPFers 

I AM HERE AGAIN WITH THE  BEGGING BOWL TO ENSURE THE FORUM CAN KEEP GOING ... Please follow  below if you want to  support the continuation  of this Forum and  this  small but friendly community. 

As always your support is  both vital and appreciated ...

Clicker and Ryewolf ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-4th-july-2023/

One for the hoverfly lovers

bugmeister

Guest DaveW

Excellent shot as insects seldom stop still for long. I presume it is a twin switchable segment ringflash from the reflection on it's back and diffuse lighting?

Edit;  you just posted before me answering the question!  I thought it might be a MPE-65 unless using tubes since it is above 1:1 on the sensor and obviously not that radical a crop from the quality.

One of these Fuzzy, they occasionally appear second-hand on EBAY since some of the photographers that buy them cannot get used to the small depths of field at higher magnifications so sell them in frustration. You need a Canon camera to use one though.

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/lenses/mp-e-65.shtml

One of these Fuzzy, they occasionally appear second-hand on EBAY

Will look into it Dave but the price might be a bit butt clenching for me I am looking at the standard 100 f2.8 macro due to the dual role it can play on a cropped sensor, which makes it a 160 tele and a good (according to reviews ) a decent macro,  not to the standard above for closeness but a little more of the subject I suspect

I will certainly look at 2nd hand though for the above lens it appears in skilled hands to be very good

It is certainly a challenge! Handheld I get a hit rate of about 1 in 10 at 1:1 magnification, 1in 30 at 1:2 and anything more than that, use a tripod and probably a focussing rail as well.

My other macro lens is the Sigma 105mm which doubles as a very good portrait lens, and if you want to get closer to fill the frame more, it's worth investing in a set of extension tubes.

A fantastic shot Mr Bugmeister (welcome by the way)...........I too am a bit of a bug enthusiast, I have a SONY 2.8-100 plus a set of dedicated extension tubes, I can also vouch for the lens being a great one for street and portrait photography:

I will be posting another couple of on my macros later:

FUJI

Guest DaveW

Remember the MPE-65 goes from where the normal so called macro lenses leave off Fuzzy. It goes from life size to 5 times life size, meaning you may be able to fill the frame with a hoverfly at it's smallest magnification but would only be able to get part of a dragonfly in frame and certainly not a rose or most flowers since the lens will not focus to infinity as a conventional macro lens does. 

Therefore if you are starting into macro a conventional macro lens that goes from infinity to 1:1, or life size on the sensor, or tubes would be your best first purchase.  As Bugmeister says he also has a Sigma 105mm for the more normal range. As I said earlier a lot of MPE-65's appear on EBAY after conventional photographers cannot get on with the minute depth of field at such magnifications, so it is best to learn first using lower magnifications with a conventional macro lens until you have learned the skills of working at very small depths of field as Bugmeister certainly has, since it is certainly not "point and shoot" conventional photography as I am sure Fuji will agree?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0&_nkw=Canon+MPE-65&_sacat=0&_from=R40

Canon MPE-65

That's interesting as I purchased a Sigma ringflash late last summer and I've still to really give it a good workout, it was both a bad summer and a little too late for bug photography when I bought it. I'm still waiting for our bug season to really get started, they are appearing now so I won't have to wait long.

This is an impressive shot... well done.

Therefore if you are starting into macro a conventional macro lens that goes from infinity to 1:1, or life size on the sensor, or tubes would be your best first purchase

straight along my thoughts Dave and once I cut out the non essentials in life like eating (leaving the essentials like wine women and song) I will be doing just that

A 100 2.8 and a set of tubes is definatly on the horizon

Wrote faint so Mrs D dosnt see it

Thanks for the compliments and for the interesting discussion points as well.

and Phil, I do have a few more from the MPE, my avatar is one of them and I'll post a larger version some time. (It's almost a full frame shot, so I'd better not post it full size :) )

Archived