Hi to all our members ... We  would just like to draw your attention to the latest post on the following link... Thank you for your attention .If you have already responded to my note  on Chatbox  about this please ignore this sticky note ... Thanks  folks ....

http://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/46369-important~-the-forum-its-future-and-finances/

Clicker and Ryewolf   ADMIN TEAM 

Regretfully we have to once again ask members for  some financial support in order to  keep TIPF  running till December 2023. The more pledges we have to become  FRIEND OF THE FORUM  the less the individual cost will be so  if you want this Forum to continue  please follow the link below  and decide  if you are able to  support us . Thank you all for your support in the past ... it has been appreciated  a great deal ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-important-notice/

Clicker and Ryewolf  ...  Admin Team 

Hi TIPFers 

I AM HERE AGAIN WITH THE  BEGGING BOWL TO ENSURE THE FORUM CAN KEEP GOING ... Please follow  below if you want to  support the continuation  of this Forum and  this  small but friendly community. 

As always your support is  both vital and appreciated ...

Clicker and Ryewolf ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-4th-july-2023/

X T2 - in camera noise reduction / sharpening

Kev., I leave both set to zero on my X-T2 simply because instinctively, I prefer to PP files in Photoshop CC from scratch.  My workflow is to save in Lossless Compressed RAW, with Sharpening  and Noise reduction set to zero.  I do however, set Long Exposure NR to "on" and occasionally, when I'm shooting in bright sunlight, I will increase the dynamic range (if I remember :happy:).  However, I can't say this is the optimum approach because I haven't experimented enough but it seems to produce good results.

There are two web sites that I stay in touch with.   They are Fuji Rumours and Fuji Film insider (links below).  The Rumours sight is good for just that.  He seems to have developed some good contacts but unless your in the market for the latest gear, that will be of little interest.  None the less, both sites make a point of trawling the WEB for Fuji based articles and there have been articles from time to time of the "My Fuji Settings" variety which you might find helpful.  Searching both sites to see what comes up against "My Fuji Settings" or say "Setting up my X-T2" might be worthwhile.  The Fujifilm Insider site is like a magazine and is also a good read from time to time.

https://www.fujirumors.com/

https://flipboard.com/@tmenk/fujifilm-insider-43dhdvlny

Hi Kev...I shoot Fine + RAW |(but uncompressed as storage is not a problem  for me) using one SD slot  for JPEG and the other  for RAW . This usually gives  me  a high res ooc JPEG and a  flexible RAW  file which you can use to create  a variety of JPEGS  with different settings ( Such as noise reduction ,film simulation etc) using the playback menu>RAW conversion. ..so you can  use the RAW Converter if you havent got the perfect settings for your shot as it offers the same functions that are available in shooting mode.(except the exp comp dial and the Dynamic Range can only stay the same or be reduced) Sometimes I think  it's hard to get a better result  in Photoshop than the RAW conversion options in camera... and that has taken me a while to accept that having used photoshop since it was first developed.

Like  Beepy and John I usually do any noise reduction if it is necessary in Photoshop CC post production.

There is a book I bought  that I have found quite useful by Rico Pfirstinger called .The Fujifiln X-T2 120 x-pert tips to get the  most out of your camera....

The new lenses  to be released look awesome don't they... :17_heart_eyes:

Many thanks folks for taking the time to respond to my query.  I really appreciate this.   So far I have left sharpening / noise reduction alone.  Indeed I was thinking that the sharpness tool is not necessary judging by what I have witnessed so far which left me thinking that I must be missing something.  

I have not really considered jpeg yet but now that you have all mentioned this I better start looking.   

Book on order and off to look at some sites on the inet. 

Thanks.  I think I am starting to get to grips with it.   Your expeiences are most helpful   

The DR expansion mentioned by John is a weird one and something worth experimenting with once you have you head round everything else.

Unlike other systems the DR200 and DR400 affect the raw files and not just the jpegs - except that you have to manually correct the raw files when you open them so your image when you get it on your computer won't look right. Essentially at DR400 you set the camera to 800iso, it shoots at 200iso then adds dynamic boost to the image holding onto the highlights while lifting the shadows to a lesser extent. For the in-camera jpegs it does a remarkable job of extending the dynamic capture but for raw files its a bit odd as you're never quite sure what you're going to get. As far as I can tell LR (ACR too) is reading something in the EXIF of the RAF files and applying some sort of correction but its not consistent so difficult to rely on. To be fair every high iso shot is actually shot at 200iso then boosted but that boost is applied evenly across the entire image, the DR mode is a little more complex.

Shhhhhh Kev ......I have to admit it's awesome having Beepy on here and at the end of an email or  PM .  His help and advice has been invaluable to me especially regarding this camera . He is incredibly generous when it comes to sharing his knowledge of all things photography-wise....and being an avid Fujifan  means he really has tips about things it would take months to get round to  realising ... well it certainly would in my case .   I know he will hate to see this in print but I make no apology  for it ...  :unworthy:

• Like 1

Thanks BP.   I have seen the DR tools in the menu and a quick scan through the manual did give me a basic understanding of the theory but  I have parked it up for now.   Very useful to hear about the different impacts on jpeg / raw work flows though. 

I have found  the film simulations really interesting Kev ... Experiment by taking a RAW shot and then use the RAW converter to process it with all  the different film simulations , upload the resulting jpegs to your iMac and compare them there . ...

It's a political hot potato at the moment isn't it .... so stay safe... you simply must go to see Gaudi's  Sagrada Familia, park Guell and the Facade of Casa Batllo.  He was so far ahead of his time in the world of architecture ...   I love the city ... it has a fantastic vibrancy. And is one place in Spain  I never tire of .. 

9 hours ago, Black Pearl said:

The DR expansion mentioned by John is a weird one and something worth experimenting with once you have you head round everything else.

Unlike other systems the DR200 and DR400 affect the raw files and not just the jpegs - except that you have to manually correct the raw files when you open them so your image when you get it on your computer won't look right. Essentially at DR400 you set the camera to 800iso, it shoots at 200iso then adds dynamic boost to the image holding onto the highlights while lifting the shadows to a lesser extent. For the in-camera jpegs it does a remarkable job of extending the dynamic capture but for raw files its a bit odd as you're never quite sure what you're going to get. As far as I can tell LR (ACR too) is reading something in the EXIF of the RAF files and applying some sort of correction but its not consistent so difficult to rely on. To be fair every high iso shot is actually shot at 200iso then boosted but that boost is applied evenly across the entire image, the DR mode is a little more complex.

That is worth knowing BP.  Thanks for adding it.  I haven't used it often enough to spot any oddities.  I should set some time aside to understand some of these other aspects.

1 hour ago, Clicker said:

It's a political hot potato at the moment isn't it .... so stay safe... you simply must go to see Gaudi's  Sagrada Familia, park Guell and the Facade of Casa Batllo.  He was so far ahead of his time in the world of architecture ...   I love the city ... it has a fantastic vibrancy. And is one place in Spain  I never tire of .. 

I am looking forward to the trip.  I think all should be fine as the tensions have subsided a little in the past week or so.   I will remain vigilant.   

36 minutes ago, kev7d said:

I am looking forward to the trip.  I think all should be fine as the tensions have subsided a little in the past week or so.   I will remain vigilant.   

Well arresting two CATALONIANS and charging them with sedition hasn't gone down very well over the past two days with a lot of people  in  Barcelonia..... as you said ...  be vigilant .I hope you have a fantastic time  ....

10 hours ago, Clicker said:

Shhhhhh Kev ......I have to admit it's awesome having Beepy on here and at the end of an email or  PM .  His help and advice has been invaluable to me especially regarding this camera . He is incredibly generous when it comes to sharing his knowledge of all things photography-wise....and being an avid Fujifan  means he really has tips about things it would take months to get round to  realising ... well it certainly would in my case .   I know he will hate to see this in print but I make no apology  for it ...  :unworthy:

Think I'll start charging to fund my own X-T2  :p

• Haha 2

If you're shooting jpegs then definitely yes - it does a very good job and even though it is often shooting at 800iso noise isn't an issue.

If you're shooting raw then probably not as the results are not entirely predictable.

If you're shooting both then yes as you can fix' a slightly under exposed raw if you need to.