Hi to all our members ... We  would just like to draw your attention to the latest post on the following link... Thank you for your attention .If you have already responded to my note  on Chatbox  about this please ignore this sticky note ... Thanks  folks ....

http://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/46369-important~-the-forum-its-future-and-finances/

Clicker and Ryewolf   ADMIN TEAM 

Regretfully we have to once again ask members for  some financial support in order to  keep TIPF  running till December 2023. The more pledges we have to become  FRIEND OF THE FORUM  the less the individual cost will be so  if you want this Forum to continue  please follow the link below  and decide  if you are able to  support us . Thank you all for your support in the past ... it has been appreciated  a great deal ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-important-notice/

Clicker and Ryewolf  ...  Admin Team 

Hi TIPFers 

I AM HERE AGAIN WITH THE  BEGGING BOWL TO ENSURE THE FORUM CAN KEEP GOING ... Please follow  below if you want to  support the continuation  of this Forum and  this  small but friendly community. 

As always your support is  both vital and appreciated ...

Clicker and Ryewolf ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-4th-july-2023/

Hello Everybody Peeps! Novice in need of help :(

Hello Everyone.

My name is Natasha, I live in Cambridgeshire & I am very very new to photography (if you want to call it that - really i just take pictures for my shop & website). I own a Sony DSLR A200 and know how to take a picture, use auto and exclude flash, upload images and push a few buttons here and there - i am a complete novice - but I'm not stupid...and some of my images actually come out half decent.

I hate to just introduce myself and then get straight to it...but i'm gonna - because I am sitting here with my head in my hands, feeling utterly useless!

I am currently using our spare bedroom to take all of my pictures for my little eBay & eCommerce shop in and it is 'small' to say the least - probably 8ft x 7ft with a 8ft ceiling. The room is white with black out blinds. I have a white vinyl back drop with clamps and I am using a mannequin or two to take images of my clothing. I have 4 soft box light in total - 2 of which have single 135w continuous daylight bulbs in - and 2 of which have x4 135w continuous daylight bulbs in each light stand.

My pictures look pants sometimes and great at other times....What am I doing wrong??? Can anybody please help... I really want a bright white background without having to do loads of post-pix work on photoshop....

DSC05094_zpsfc270371.jpg

DSC05096_zpscc437889.jpg

DSC05110_zps97a4021a.jpg

DSC05115_zps22e5aca0.jpg

Your 'model' needs to be four or so feet from the background so you can separate the light sources.

Flood the background with as much light as possible - two lights at full power.

Light the 'model' with less light and set your exposure meter for these lights only. You want about two stops of difference (drop the front lights to quarter power) so the backdrop over exposures and turns pure white.

No Photoshop just lit as above:

a9970d95c459659be003e1c70261abce_zps5054

• Like 2

Hello 'All' Once again. 

Thanks so much for your comments & help & advice. Very happy camper xx Will go forth, take advice and take pix - will get back to you....

This forum will be my touch stone for some time to come I sense....  :yes  N xx

I think that the real issue that i have is lack of space. The room that i am taking pictures in is tiny (8x7x8foot).

The lighting that I have is very basic - not 6ft soft boxes or strobe (flash) lights.

I have tried to blow out the back drop before, I followed this blog  http://www.zarias.com/white-seamless-tutorial-part-1-gear-space/ - very good tutorial by the way - but I clearly have got something wrong. I don't have the bifold doors/dividers to block out the side lights from the mannequin yet - perhaps that's the issue? Can I get the effect that 'Black Pearl' has without using the bi-fold doors?

Questions, questions.....

Thank you all so much for saying hello - lovely to meet you all  :flower:

Guest DaveW

As you can't get away from the background the other alternative is to use a different colour background (say black or grey) then change it's colour using the paint bucket in your Post Processing software.

Haven't got a dummy to try on so a plant will have to do. The original picture with a black background:-

post-22-0-45093900-1364487633.jpg

The image above with the paint bucket set to white in Photoshop Elements and just clicked on the black background and then re-saved:-

post-22-0-31177000-1364488163.jpg

It should work better with an item with simple outlines than it does with the flowers above.