Hi to all our members ... We  would just like to draw your attention to the latest post on the following link... Thank you for your attention .If you have already responded to my note  on Chatbox  about this please ignore this sticky note ... Thanks  folks ....

http://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/46369-important~-the-forum-its-future-and-finances/

Clicker and Ryewolf   ADMIN TEAM 

Regretfully we have to once again ask members for  some financial support in order to  keep TIPF  running till December 2023. The more pledges we have to become  FRIEND OF THE FORUM  the less the individual cost will be so  if you want this Forum to continue  please follow the link below  and decide  if you are able to  support us . Thank you all for your support in the past ... it has been appreciated  a great deal ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-important-notice/

Clicker and Ryewolf  ...  Admin Team 

Hi TIPFers 

I AM HERE AGAIN WITH THE  BEGGING BOWL TO ENSURE THE FORUM CAN KEEP GOING ... Please follow  below if you want to  support the continuation  of this Forum and  this  small but friendly community. 

As always your support is  both vital and appreciated ...

Clicker and Ryewolf ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-4th-july-2023/

What lens?

When I bought my Canon EOS 750D in July I decided I would not buy any additional equipment until I had made some progress in learning to use it. I am making some progress and am feeling the need for an additional lens. I am looking for something as flexible as possible, within the constraints of a budget of £400 - £500. I have narrowed my options down to two: a Tamron 16-300 mm or a Sigma 17-70mm. On the face of it, the Sigma doesn't seem to offer a great deal more than my 18-55 mm kit lens but it comes highly recommended. I really haven't much of a clue. Any suggestions?

It very much depends what you want the lens for. There's nothing worse or more redundant than buying equipment just for the sake of it. 

Briefly:

Landscapes - short very wide angle zoom (18-35 or 40)

Portraits and general - mid range zoom, say 35-105 or similar range

Wildlife at a distance - long range zoom, say 135-500 or 200-500 or similar.

If you want a general purpose wide range zoom such as the 16-300 you mention, then that will serve you well for a variety of subjects, but do be aware that such lenses are a whole series of compromises and will not deliver the same quality as a shorter range zoom, and a very long way off the quality of a prime lens. As to individual makes, I can't really help there, but do remember to be clear about 1) what you want the lens for and 2) the quality you want and expect from it.

Footnote: as a retail professional, BP very much knows his stuff on equipment so you might want to see what he says?

Edited by ChrisLumix
  • Like 2

Thanks Chris, this is really useful. I suppose my usage will be something like 50% landscape. 25% portrait (family etc) 25% miscellaneous, (including wildlife) . A lens for every eventuality is not an option as I'd rather stay married(!) so flexibility is a must. I note your comment about loss of quality but the Tamron 16-300 has some decent reviews so I think I may go for this one. Thanks again.

Frankly I would stay away from large range zooms such as the 16-300 you mentioned as they tend to have some pretty serious issues like massive amounts of distortion, poor max apertures and the two ends tend to be a bit rough IQ wise.

For the budget you have available - which is excellent by the way - I would look at a couple of lenses to add to the range of shots you can currently take.

First of all for reach and general flexibility the very highly rated Tamron 70-300mm f4-5.6 SP Di VC USD would be a fantastic addition to your kit. It offers good optical performance, the focus motors are quick, the vibration correction is excellent, it well made and comes with a lens hood.
Yours for about £300

http://www.wexphotographic.com/buy-tamron-70-300mm-f4-5-6-sp-di-vc-usd-lens-canon-fit/p1520736

1520736.jpg

As that still leaves you a bit of cash to splash as it were I would recommend a Canon EF 50mm f1.8 STM Lens. These are biting sharp, have a large max aperture which is great for lowlight work and also offer a narrow depth of field - think portraits - plus they are small enough to bung in a pocket as a 'nice thing to have with you' without the need to lug a heavy bag. This STM version is also great for video should you want to flex the substantial video muscles your 750 has. Yours for £100

http://www.wexphotographic.com/buy-canon-ef-50mm-f1-8-stm-lens/p1572990

1572990.jpg

Thats £400 in total giving you your current general purpose wide zoom, a versatile longer zoom and a crackin' good prime.
Now if that extra £100 is still on the table how about a nice travel tripod (assuming you don't have one) to encourage you to take it everywhere. These things - XCSOURCE Q-666C Professional Photography Carbon Tripod - get amazing reviews, they're rock solid, tiny and amazing value: 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/XCSOURCE-Professional-Photography-Monopod-LF375/dp/B00K4N4C48/ref=sr_1_2?s=photo&ie=UTF8&qid=1478798241&sr=1-2&keywords=tripod

41jpgqf+BkL.jpg

If you already have a tripod and that £100 is still burning a hole what about some extension tubes to turn that 50mm into a macro rig. These - Kenko DG Canon AF Extension Tubes Set - would be ideal as they're versatile, have full electronic pass-through and the brand is well respected:

http://www.wexphotographic.com/buy-kenko-dg-canon-af-extension-tubes-set-36mm-20mm-12mm-/p1005553

1005553.jpg

• Like 2

David - maybe consider (once you've made up your mind what to go for) second-hand lens(es).  From somewhere reputable, not eBay type 'bargains'.  Some dealers will even give you a warranty on s/h lenses, so you can feel confident in buying.

If you are able to, consider joining a local camera club.  It's like being on here, but physically meeting people, and you'll perhaps find someone with a similar camera to yours and maybe even someone who will let you try out their lens.  Plus you'll perhaps learn all sorts of things by going to their lectures and entering their competitions.

17 hours ago, VWGolf said:

David - maybe consider (once you've made up your mind what to go for) second-hand lens(es).  From somewhere reputable, not eBay type 'bargains'.  Some dealers will even give you a warranty on s/h lenses, so you can feel confident in buying.

If you are able to, consider joining a local camera club.  It's like being on here, but physically meeting people, and you'll perhaps find someone with a similar camera to yours and maybe even someone who will let you try out their lens.  Plus you'll perhaps learn all sorts of things by going to their lectures and entering their competitions.

Thanks for these suggestions - I will give them some thought.