Hi to all our members ... We  would just like to draw your attention to the latest post on the following link... Thank you for your attention .If you have already responded to my note  on Chatbox  about this please ignore this sticky note ... Thanks  folks ....

http://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/46369-important~-the-forum-its-future-and-finances/

Clicker and Ryewolf   ADMIN TEAM 

Regretfully we have to once again ask members for  some financial support in order to  keep TIPF  running till December 2023. The more pledges we have to become  FRIEND OF THE FORUM  the less the individual cost will be so  if you want this Forum to continue  please follow the link below  and decide  if you are able to  support us . Thank you all for your support in the past ... it has been appreciated  a great deal ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-important-notice/

Clicker and Ryewolf  ...  Admin Team 

Hi TIPFers 

I AM HERE AGAIN WITH THE  BEGGING BOWL TO ENSURE THE FORUM CAN KEEP GOING ... Please follow  below if you want to  support the continuation  of this Forum and  this  small but friendly community. 

As always your support is  both vital and appreciated ...

Clicker and Ryewolf ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-4th-july-2023/

Memory Stick Capacity Query

A question for the more tech savvy members...

I have around 50 -100 PSD and JPEG Photographs processed from the casual wedding shoot I did on Saturday, I wasn't to pass them all on to the happy couple on their return from Honeymoon.

What size Memory-Stick should I get to ensure I get all my pics on it please?

I know my 16 gb camera cards hold 200 plus RAW FILES.

I don't do numbers.

CHEERS!

FUJI

How long is a piece of string?

It all depends on how big your individual pictures are, especially the PSDs which are likely to be quite large.

I would think that 16GB should be more than adequate. However I was astonsihed to find on Amazon a 128GB stick for only £18: https://www.amazon.co.uk/MyMemory-128GB-USB-Flash-Drive/dp/B00LMWV06I/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8 - that may be overkill of course, but at the price you can't really go wrong! 

(Just to do the maths: 16GB divided by 100 is 160MB. If you have 100 pictures and each one is less than 160MB, they would all still fit on a 16GB stick.)

1 hour ago, Craftysnapper said:

Unless the couple is tech savvy and have a raw converter that can view them I would covert them to jpeg also not all browsers or even image viwig programs support PSD file especially f they have layres. universal srgb jpegs are the way to go and will fit on a small memory stickFuji.

Also a very good point.

Fooj ...First, you put your final versions into a separate folder (agree with Paul  that jpegs might be best unless they are really tech savvy ). Then a right click on the folder, without opening it. Go to properties and left  click on that  (Usually at the bottom of the list on the drop down menu )  Under the " General" tab it should give you the folder size which obviously will include all the contents .   I presume you are using a form of Windows on your Sony Vaio... ;)

• Like 1

Of  course  Jpegs are a lossy format that will degrade  by a few pixels every time they are saved ...so it  would be worth keeping  either the RAW  or even the TIFF versions which won't deteriorate  as a master copy for something as important as  wedding photos ...IMHO.... just a thought  Fooj ......

1 hour ago, Black Pearl said:

You could just upload them to Dropbox and send them a link so they can download them or share them with whoever they wish. 

Quicker, cheaper, offers more options and you don'r have to leave your chair.

A great idea and Dropbox is free, easy to use although I would add they do need a 'little' computer knowledge at the other end?

2 hours ago, Clicker said:

Of  course  Jpegs are a lossy format that will degrade  by a few pixels every time they are saved ...so it  would be worth keeping  either the RAW  or even the TIFF versions which won't deteriorate  as a master copy for something as important as  wedding photos ...IMHO.... just a thought  Fooj ......

Technically that's true. However, if they are saved repeatedly at maximum quality, it will be a long time before any deterioration is noticed. Fuji will of course keep the RAWs, but he doesn't need to send them out - that would be like a wedding photographer parting with the negatives in the old film days (some did of course, but it cost the client extra).

1 hour ago, colinb said:

A great idea and Dropbox is free, easy to use although I would add they do need a 'little' computer knowledge at the other end?

If shared correctly, and the links sent via email, all they have to do is click the link(s).

Edited by ChrisLumix

If Fooj is charging for the photos Chris of course he would be best to keep the  Raw files  as they are his copyright .. All I am saying is that if one only has the jpegs and you don't have the forsight to keep one copy as the mastercopy in Tiff or Raw  format, somewhere ,  in 50 or 100 years time that original jpeg could look very poor  indeed.. I imagine someone who is a descendant  of the married  couple researching family history would be very grateful that  some one archived  the images in a form that was as pristine as the day they were taken ... ;)

Thank you everyone.....a most informative discussion all round.

The groom is an old friend who happens to be my barber.....so he and his new wife will receive my pics as a gift on their return from Honeymoon......I'm never very sure about Dropbox......I will just hand over the large capacity memory stick for copying, it wiil contain both JPEGS and PSDs ......my friend used Photoshop so there should be no problem.....this means that he will be able to edit originals as he wishes....or....just keep my edits.

He will return the memory stick afterwards .....

Cheers!   Much appreciated.

FUJI

12 hours ago, Clicker said:

If Fooj is charging for the photos Chris of course he would be best to keep the  Raw files  as they are his copyright .. All I am saying is that if one only has the jpegs and you don't have the forsight to keep one copy as the mastercopy in Tiff or Raw  format, somewhere ,  in 50 or 100 years time that original jpeg could look very poor  indeed.. I imagine someone who is a descendant  of the married  couple researching family history would be very grateful that  some one archived  the images in a form that was as pristine as the day they were taken ... ;)

I understand what you're saying, but ... you can duplicate a JPEG as many times as you like and it won't deteriorate. You can even open and save it to a new name somewhere else, and as long as you've made no changes and save it at the same quality setting as it was last, again there will be virtually no loss. The "loss" comes each time you make changes and save it to a less than full quality setting, particularly one that's lower than the one it was last saved in. 

It's the same with audio - if you open an MP3 that was last saved as 256 kbps, then you save it again at 256 kbps, the compression that was done originally has already "thrown away" the information to get it down to that setting; it can't be thrown away again. Yes, over time - because the algorithm isn't ultra precise or perfect, you'll notice a gradual deterioration; on the other hand saving it at 128 kbps you'd notice an instant worsening as more information has to be discarded.

Footnote: all formats become obsolete over time. At the moment, PDF is maybe the most likely to survive, but is the same true for PNG? Or TIFF or JPEG or PSD come to that? As for RAW, those vary from camera make to another, and even one model to another. I guess no digital format is sacrosanct. Even prints fade or get torn and creased, or lost...!

• Like 1

What you have to remember Fuji once raw software goes to the next version yor prevous software will not support new cameras released, meaning once CS7 is released CS6 will not support the raw format of cameras  released after that and you will have to pay upgrade your software unless you have subscription.. Which is why I tend to use the DNG format for Adobe so I o not have to upgrade all the while.

Edited by Craftysnapper
51 minutes ago, Craftysnapper said:

What you have to remember Fuji once raw software goes to the next version yor prevous software will not support new cameras released, meaning once CS7 is released CS6 will not support the raw format of cameras  released after that and you will have to pay upgrade your software unless you have subscription.. Which is why I tend to use the DNG format for Adobe so I o not have to upgrade all the while.

Tis oneof the reasons I opted for paying a subscription 4 years ago after   spending fortunes  buying and upgrading  before that ... Tis a valid point ...