Hi to all our members ... We  would just like to draw your attention to the latest post on the following link... Thank you for your attention .If you have already responded to my note  on Chatbox  about this please ignore this sticky note ... Thanks  folks ....

http://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/46369-important~-the-forum-its-future-and-finances/

Clicker and Ryewolf   ADMIN TEAM 

Regretfully we have to once again ask members for  some financial support in order to  keep TIPF  running till December 2023. The more pledges we have to become  FRIEND OF THE FORUM  the less the individual cost will be so  if you want this Forum to continue  please follow the link below  and decide  if you are able to  support us . Thank you all for your support in the past ... it has been appreciated  a great deal ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-important-notice/

Clicker and Ryewolf  ...  Admin Team 

Hi TIPFers 

I AM HERE AGAIN WITH THE  BEGGING BOWL TO ENSURE THE FORUM CAN KEEP GOING ... Please follow  below if you want to  support the continuation  of this Forum and  this  small but friendly community. 

As always your support is  both vital and appreciated ...

Clicker and Ryewolf ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-4th-july-2023/

New iMAC on order

kev7d

Well I decided not to wait any longer. Yesterday I ordered my new iMAC to replace my current 2011 27" iMac. 

27-inch iMac with Retina 5K display

•   4.0GHz quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 4.2GHz
•   8GB 1867MHz DDR3 SDRAM - two 4GB
•   3TB Fusion Drive
•   AMD Radeon R9 M395X with 4GB video memory

RAM will be upgraded to 32GB almost immediately after delivery as suggested here on TiPF which brings quite a nice saving on the price to get the machine up to 32GB. Also got a 6% discount through a discount scheme run by my employer.  :1_grinning:

Delivery should be next week.

• Like 2

NICE!!!!!

Build time is up to 72 hours and delivery is via UPS (you can track it via their website or app) which typically is a day faster than the original quote.
The i7 absolutely screams though the OS opening standard apps instantly, big buggers like PS & LR in a couple of seconds and processing files without ever feeling sluggish. 
Pick a couple of shots with lots of detail and size them up ready for the 5k screen to use as desktops - it is astonishing how much detail you can see without having to zoom into the file.

A bit of discount is always nice, particularly on such an expensive purchase. I got mine through a friend of a friend who works there and it meant I could up the spec a little and keep to my budget. 

• Like 1

Looking forward to it. My experience with my current 2011 machine has been great and I expect this to be even better. Gonna do the RAM upgrade pretty quickly after delivery, thanks for that tip. 

I decided that I did not want to wait until December. I was just being ultra cautious with my decision making. Happy now I have taken the plunge.

I am going to wipe the current iMAC clean before giving it over to the kids school work after deactivating cloud / iTunes / other software etc.

Daft question alert........

So, i am going to upgrade the 8gb of RAM on the new iMac post delivery to 32GB.

Should I get 4 * 8GB sticks or 2 * 16GB sticks. 

Does it matter?

The 16 stick route will probably be a few quid cheaper.  

When I looked a 16GB pair of 8GB sticks was about half the price of a single 16GB stick so 4x 8 would be the cheapest route to a 32GB total.

If you can find quality 16GB sticks for about the same price then yes go that route as the two original 4GB stick can stay in there giving you 40GB - and/or - you can increase it easily to 64GB in the future.  

This is the current RAM used in the 5k machine: http://uk.crucial.com/gbr/en/compatible-upgrade-for/Apple/imac-(retina-5k%2C-27-inch%2C-late-2015)-imac17%2C1

Cool. You can still use the migration tool built into the OS to copy files across via a CAT5 cable which might be handy for documents etc.

Don't worry if the first apps you install don't load at lightning speed at the OS needs to learn your habits and the system before it moves them to the SSD part of the drive.

• Like 1

About this time last year, my son gave me a s/h iMac.  It's like the one you're getting rid of, Kev, but to me it's wonderful.  Not retina, and it's i5 and I love it to bits.  I've upped the RAM to 24gb and I can't complain about the speed.  I'll never go back to Windows 10 :)

My desk is in my living room and my screen saver is pictures from my folder of my best photos, resized at 2560x1440.  So everyone who comes in has to look at my pictures!  lol  But the screen size is impressive and shows every small detail.

One day, I shall have a newer one, and be even more impressed.  My son showed me his and the Retina is to die for.  I hope you enjoy your new one :)

• Like 2

All photography software back up and running. No problem whatsoever with the exception of Canon EOS Utility. This has yet to receive an upgrade that will allow it to run on Sierra. No big deal though.  

This machine is awesome. Its weird seeing two 27inch iMACS side by side on my desk.

Next comes the clean up task for the out going iMAC, that will have to wait though, got to pack my bags and kit to get off to Rome in a few days.  

51 minutes ago, kev7d said:

Its the price of them 16 sticks. Not cheap.

Here at Crucial, they seem to be approximately twice the cost of 8GB:

http://uk.crucial.com/SearchDisplay?searchTerm=16GB+RAM+Apple&categoryId=&storeId=10153&catalogId=10153&langId=-1&pageSize=10&beginIndex=0&sType=SimpleSearch&searchFor=Keyword&resultCatEntryType=2&showResultsPage=true&searchSource=Q&pageView=

The UDIMM and SODIMM types, that is; the RDIMM is about another £20 on top (not sure which is in your machine?)

Well, judging by the way this machine is working with 8gb RAM, which is great, I have now decided to go the same route as BP.  I have just ordered 2 8gb sticks from Crucial taking me to 24gb. This iMAC is quite something.  

The only thing I am having issues with is the bundled software such as Pages, I cannot get the updates done. There is some issue with my Apple ID. But I am sure it will be something and nothing that I will fix over the coming days.

When I get home tonight, I will have had a broad band upgrade too. Fibre Optic!!!!!!