Hi to all our members ... We  would just like to draw your attention to the latest post on the following link... Thank you for your attention .If you have already responded to my note  on Chatbox  about this please ignore this sticky note ... Thanks  folks ....

http://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/46369-important~-the-forum-its-future-and-finances/

Clicker and Ryewolf   ADMIN TEAM 

Regretfully we have to once again ask members for  some financial support in order to  keep TIPF  running till December 2023. The more pledges we have to become  FRIEND OF THE FORUM  the less the individual cost will be so  if you want this Forum to continue  please follow the link below  and decide  if you are able to  support us . Thank you all for your support in the past ... it has been appreciated  a great deal ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-important-notice/

Clicker and Ryewolf  ...  Admin Team 

Hi TIPFers 

I AM HERE AGAIN WITH THE  BEGGING BOWL TO ENSURE THE FORUM CAN KEEP GOING ... Please follow  below if you want to  support the continuation  of this Forum and  this  small but friendly community. 

As always your support is  both vital and appreciated ...

Clicker and Ryewolf ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-4th-july-2023/

INSPIRED

I have received inspiration from three sources this week, the first was an online magazine article extolling the use of Vintage Film lenses on Digital cameras, the second was after a quick email exchange with BP on the subject of old lenses and going completely manual as with the new LEICA, then, lastly by Bill and his post above using a pricey FUJI lens.

All this got me to remembering that I have a growing collection of Vintage Film M42 screw-thread lenses; I use these with Ebay purchased adapters for my SONY A55 and for my PANASONIC GX7 M 4/3 Camera.

The photographs here were taken through...

1: A SUPER KATUMAR 1:2/55

2: A HELIOS 44.2  2.55

3: An AUTO REFLECTA 1: 1.8  55

My subjects aren't that interesting, the weather was threatening so I stayed in the garden:

All pics have received minimal but essential Processing from RAW' they aren't posted for subject or composition

Comments and observations welcome on the results considering each lens in turn....which one would be best to use on a fairly regular basis if I choose to go totally manual?

I can encourage anyone with a M 4/3 rds Camera to try using Vintage lenses...those with DSLRs need to read up on which oldies are suitable....

FUJI

S TAKUMAR 1.2  55 .jpg

S TAKUMAR 2.jpg

HELIOS 44.2 2.58.jpg

AUTO REFLECTA 1- 1.  55.jpg

Fantastic images Fooj.

I think the key is to have a range of options to shoot with and to always try something new.....or in this case old. Modern lenses like Bill's new 23mm and my 35mm are your bread and butter shooters, they're super sharp, the AF is useful, they're well corrected and they have very controlled OOF rendering. You put them on when the shot counts and you need a consistent and predictable result. Contrast that with older glass which may have flaws, but those very flaws are what give them character.

18 minutes ago, Black Pearl said:

Fantastic images Fooj.

I think the key is to have a range of options to shoot with and to always try something new.....or in this case old. Modern lenses like Bill's new 23mm and my 35mm are your bread and butter shooters, they're super sharp, the AF is useful, they're well corrected and they have very controlled OOF rendering. You put them on when the shot counts and you need a consistent and predictable result. Contrast that with older glass which may have flaws, but those very flaws are what give them character.

Thanks BP...._your observations much appreciated.

Of these shots, which pleases you most?     Or.        Which of these three lenses would you choose? 

All were fitted to my beautiful PANASONIC GX7 M4/3 camera.

FUJI

Archived