Hi to all our members ... We  would just like to draw your attention to the latest post on the following link... Thank you for your attention .If you have already responded to my note  on Chatbox  about this please ignore this sticky note ... Thanks  folks ....

http://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/46369-important~-the-forum-its-future-and-finances/

Clicker and Ryewolf   ADMIN TEAM 

Regretfully we have to once again ask members for  some financial support in order to  keep TIPF  running till December 2023. The more pledges we have to become  FRIEND OF THE FORUM  the less the individual cost will be so  if you want this Forum to continue  please follow the link below  and decide  if you are able to  support us . Thank you all for your support in the past ... it has been appreciated  a great deal ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-important-notice/

Clicker and Ryewolf  ...  Admin Team 

Hi TIPFers 

I AM HERE AGAIN WITH THE  BEGGING BOWL TO ENSURE THE FORUM CAN KEEP GOING ... Please follow  below if you want to  support the continuation  of this Forum and  this  small but friendly community. 

As always your support is  both vital and appreciated ...

Clicker and Ryewolf ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-4th-july-2023/

Smoke Spill

Ryewolf

A little experiment with smoke photography I did this evening while food was cooking in the oven.

Smoke was from a really smokey incense cone - after 10 mins I had to open a window. (f8, 1/200th, iso100). The only light was from one of those DeWalt torches where the light part is on a bendy stalk. Image was rotated 90deg

The wine glass was long exposure on some glass and lit by the same torch (f13, 30secs, iso100) - in reality even though my camera said 30secs I'd actually covered the light after about 5-6 seconds.

The colour, in both, was a spiral gradiated fill on a separate layer. I used Photomatix Pro to tweak the smoke, then used PSP7 to put the two images together.

Smoke Spill

smoke-spill.jpg

Thanks Chris, JHF.. I'll look into a crop - though I'm worried that without seeing the base it like look a bit odd. I might also look at darkening the base so t's less pronunced like the rest of the glass. It's tricky stuff to light without getting to many reflections - particularly when you're improvising with a torch.

I was quite pleased with this, not bad for 45 mins effort while I was waiting

Thanks Chris, JHF.. I'll look into a crop - though I'm worried that without seeing the base it like look a bit odd. I might also look at darkening the base so t's less pronunced like the rest of the glass. It's tricky stuff to light without getting to many reflections - particularly when you're improvising with a torch.

I was quite pleased with this, not bad for 45 mins effort while I was waiting

I'm not so sure about that. The image is really an abstract, so with the dark red glow of the wine glass bowl, the viewer is going to just see a shape, not necessarily a familiar everyday object. Whereas with the distracting white reflections on the right, it does detract from the left hand side, which is glorious. Hope you don't mind, but I've done a crop to demonstrate what I mean... 

post-677-0-81629500-1427876696.jpg

Thanks for all the comments everyone. No I don't mind you editing the images. Of the 2 crops, I think I prefer the wider one that Chris did, although Judy's one is growing on me.

I'll probably have another go at photographing smoke - this was only my 2nd attempt - the first ones I did, I had the camera a lot closer, so I was only catching part of the smoke. The trickiest part was actually positioning the light so it illuminated the smoke. The fun part was not knowing what the smoke was going to come out like....

Archived