Hi to all our members ... We  would just like to draw your attention to the latest post on the following link... Thank you for your attention .If you have already responded to my note  on Chatbox  about this please ignore this sticky note ... Thanks  folks ....

http://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/46369-important~-the-forum-its-future-and-finances/

Clicker and Ryewolf   ADMIN TEAM 

Regretfully we have to once again ask members for  some financial support in order to  keep TIPF  running till December 2023. The more pledges we have to become  FRIEND OF THE FORUM  the less the individual cost will be so  if you want this Forum to continue  please follow the link below  and decide  if you are able to  support us . Thank you all for your support in the past ... it has been appreciated  a great deal ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-important-notice/

Clicker and Ryewolf  ...  Admin Team 

Hi TIPFers 

I AM HERE AGAIN WITH THE  BEGGING BOWL TO ENSURE THE FORUM CAN KEEP GOING ... Please follow  below if you want to  support the continuation  of this Forum and  this  small but friendly community. 

As always your support is  both vital and appreciated ...

Clicker and Ryewolf ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-4th-july-2023/

X-T10

Black Pearl

My Fuji X-T1 is away getting new rubbers fitted (there was a problem with some of them that Fuji have a fix for now) so I have a X-T10 on loan. Its TINY and the viewfinder is a little pokey but is fundamentally a X body so we're going to get along just fine............so long as I don't put a tripod plate on then have to take the bloody thing off every time I want to access the card slot which for some stupid reason is on the base and not the side like a proper camera.

Anyhoo I went out last night for a wander with it....

Grasses Web.jpg

Poppy Web.jpg

Trees Web.jpg

Pathway Web.jpg

3 hours ago, Black Pearl said:

My Fuji X-T1 is away getting new rubbers fitted (there was a problem with some of them that Fuji have a fix for now)

Are they doing the warped port access door too, and is it a freebie?

A very nice set from the 10. :1310_thumbsup_tone1:

3 minutes ago, kev7d said:

How do the Canon mirrorless cameras compare?

I had a good play with the M5 last week and it's a little belter. Feels good, it's a nice size, fast and well specified - but - your lens choice is limited to a few M lenses or dirty great big EF lenses. 

Some nice images there BP. Just been looking at a review of the M5, seems a bit lacking in video - no 4k, and a lack of native M series lenses.. but the ability to use your current EF/EF-S lenses with an adaptor, particularly if you a have a range, is useful. I also seems to use quite a few of the features from Canons 80D. Though it's still just shy of £1000 for body only and adaptor...

4 hours ago, Ryewolf said:

Some nice images there BP. Just been looking at a review of the M5, seems a bit lacking in video - no 4k, and a lack of native M series lenses.. but the ability to use your current EF/EF-S lenses with an adaptor, particularly if you a have a range, is useful. I also seems to use quite a few of the features from Canons 80D. Though it's still just shy of £1000 for body only and adaptor...

Talking to the Canon rep who was in last week he basically described it as an 80D. Don't get me wrong its a fabulous little camera but the lack of truly native mirrorless lenses limits it appeal. Yes you can put EF/EF-S lenses on but they're not small so whats the point in the tiny body.

4 hours ago, Black Pearl said:

Yes you can put EF/EF-S lenses on but they're not smal

That's a fair point..

I bought the 800D a few months back and that extra size of image (6000 x 4000 compared to 5184 x 3456 on 100D) I've found is great for macro photography.

Mirrorless has got me interested I must admit.  I like the feel of a "traditional" looking camera.  Dslr fits that bill nicely.  I am a fan of a "normal" viewfinder so the 7d suits me well. But, I have no experience of electronic viewfinders so I cannot make a comparison.  I like the idea of all those dials on the mirrorless Fuji. It all looks a bit retro which is a good thing.  I assume that you can set a shot up purely on the dials if you want?  Are all those dials a bit small and difficult to use?   It looks a bit small and awkward?   ?

Small and awkward? Depends how big your hands are really. :12_slight_smile: I don't have particularly big hands but get on with the dials just fine.
What struck me the most is how easy the Fuji is to use, everything is at-a-glance, no fiddling in the menus to change ISO, exposure comp, shutter, etc. Oh, and the EVF is simply stunning, although I've now got so used to having a screen that I no longer lift the camera to my eye, in fact I have the EVF turned off.

I don't find the X-T1 small, in fact I find it familiar as I grew up with Nikon F bodies and their ilk. The T10 is too small for me and while it is 90% of a T1 on paper that remaining few percent in real life makes all the difference. The T1 feels like its hewn from solid metal - because it is - and it has a good balance to it. The ergonomics while very different to a DSLR are 100% SLR. I love that I can set all the major controls without ever turning the camera on. I do this regularly picking an ISO, an aperture and after knowing the camera will set the shutter speed often pre-dialling in some comp depending on the scene. The second you look through it you see the exposure and because the exp comp dial is on the corner I find myself tweaking the +/- almost without thinking about it. My keeper rate is far higher than with an optical viewfinder, the smaller form factor means I carry it more and quite frankly I love the mechanical, click, touchy-feely feel of using the X System.

Is it cheap - no.

Is it good value - I think so.

Sorry BP, we seem to have deflected your post to a discussion on the pro's/cons/differences between DSLR and Mirrorless, Kev was right about the retro look, I remember using the old SLR film camera's where everything was controlled by dials.... no lcd or viewscreen, but you could look at the camera and know exactly what you'd set it as.

I am certainly interested and not trying to be critical of mirrorless kit.  Just airing my thoughts but with the caution of never having picked up a mirrorless camera.  ??

I do like the idea of dialing in the settings with the dials.  That is just cool.   ?

1 hour ago, kev7d said:

Seen a few images and videos of the x-t2 now and it is actually bigger than I thought. 

The XT-10 is tiny but the T1 and T2 are a decent size and can be beefed up a touch with a grip. If you regularly use very large lenses mirrorless might not be the right option but for smaller zooms and particularly primes they are superb.

Dont discount the x-t10 / t20 as a second camera specification wise they are  very similar respectively to a t1 t2 

My t10 has a 16 / 55 lens , of which I have no complaints except the aperture has to be set in the view finder or screen, as opposed to the 18-55 which you can set on the lens, this is more preferable  Aperture set on lens, Speed set on dial and iso set auto 1600 

The iso is also set in the menu and not on a top dial but you can set a auto range This means its not as easy as a T1T2 but its not a bug bare once you get used to it and its 1/2 the price of a t2 
I dont think there is anything in it image wise 
As for size I have big hands with fingers like pork sausages and its nay bother
One slight criticism whilst the top plate dials are brilliant they can be knocked on, it wont be the first time Ive shot in a continuous mode   because its shifted from S mysteriously

An after market grip is very welcome giving  a bit more secure feeling 

If I get one of these gadgets, I am quite taken with the x-t2.  I like the retro look and I really like those controls on the top of the camera. Carting a dslr around French towns and cities makes my back ache to be honest.  Getting kit over to France can also be a pain.  

It won't be an overnight decision mind you.  Redundancy / early retirement: / restructure all need to play out so my finances settle down whatever the outcome in the next few months at work.  

Archived