Stravinsky

Birmingham City Centre, now and then

10 posts in this topic

Birmingham, taken from the same spot at the top of the Rag market car park in around 1975 with a Zenith EM (I think) and June 2017 with a Canon 5Diii

The only difference was I had to take the shot from wherever there was a gap in the wire grid fencing that has been put up there sadly to stop people jumping 

Birmingham-1C---web19780002.jpg

Bullring432A4639website.jpg

3 people like this

Another interesting comparison of a changing skyline.  Bang on with going back to the same spot.   

1 person likes this

Thats an interesting comparison, and I have to say what an underrated camera the Zenith was back then, I wonder what they would produce today in digital?

Geoff

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, THELONGMAN said:

Thats an interesting comparison, and I have to say what an underrated camera the Zenith was back then, I wonder what they would produce today in digital?

A lot of the Soviet-era cameras were copies or evolutions of the high-end German models from Leica and Zeiss, as a result you have most of the know-how at a fraction of the price. 

1 person likes this

I thought the Rotunda was "for the chop" when I left Birmingham about 10 years ago.  Did it get saved at the last minute or is it just awaiting the dynamite?

12 hours ago, JamesT said:

I thought the Rotunda was "for the chop" when I left Birmingham about 10 years ago.  Did it get saved at the last minute or is it just awaiting the dynamite?

They wouldnt dare remove that! :6_smile:  they were happy enough to knock down buildings like the old library and Snow Hill, but the Rotunda would be a demolition too far.   It's been renovated and is now apartments

12 hours ago, JamesT said:

A lot of the Soviet-era cameras were copies or evolutions of the high-end German models from Leica and Zeiss, as a result you have most of the know-how at a fraction of the price. 

I had a Yashica,, which was a good camera for the money, the went on to Canon.

2 minutes ago, THELONGMAN said:

I had a Yashica,, which was a good camera for the money, the went on to Canon.

I had a Practika, then a Pentax ME Super before moving on to Canon.  Ive regressed as I have a Franka Solida in my camera cupboard waiting for me to pluck up the courage to use it 

_MG_9616W.jpg

50 minutes ago, Stravinsky said:

I had a Practika, then a Pentax ME Super before moving on to Canon.  Ive regressed as I have a Franka Solida in my camera cupboard waiting for me to pluck up the courage to use it 

_MG_9616W.jpg

This was my first camera and I've still got most of the negs.

SK3A7502 w.jpg

6 hours ago, Stravinsky said:

Ive regressed as I have a Franka Solida in my camera cupboard waiting for me to pluck up the courage to use it 

There's  a Moskva 5 in the post between the Ukraine & the UK with my address on it right now.