Hi to all our members ... We  would just like to draw your attention to the latest post on the following link... Thank you for your attention .If you have already responded to my note  on Chatbox  about this please ignore this sticky note ... Thanks  folks ....

http://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/46369-important~-the-forum-its-future-and-finances/

Clicker and Ryewolf   ADMIN TEAM 

Regretfully we have to once again ask members for  some financial support in order to  keep TIPF  running till December 2023. The more pledges we have to become  FRIEND OF THE FORUM  the less the individual cost will be so  if you want this Forum to continue  please follow the link below  and decide  if you are able to  support us . Thank you all for your support in the past ... it has been appreciated  a great deal ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-important-notice/

Clicker and Ryewolf  ...  Admin Team 

Hi TIPFers 

I AM HERE AGAIN WITH THE  BEGGING BOWL TO ENSURE THE FORUM CAN KEEP GOING ... Please follow  below if you want to  support the continuation  of this Forum and  this  small but friendly community. 

As always your support is  both vital and appreciated ...

Clicker and Ryewolf ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-4th-july-2023/

First request for an image?

Cathy

Hi everyone!

I can't believe this ! I have received an e mail asking if I would be willing to sell a landscape image of mine.

WHAT! Really! I am chuffed but have no idea what I should sell it for.

I have sent the image off to be printed and it is a 24x16 and I will now wait and see what the result looks like.

Are there any guidelines anywhere to help with what to charge ?

Its a fantastic felling when someone appreciates your work to the extent of buying your image, I was very happy when I sold my first image.....:)

It really was such a buzz. At first I was so pleased but then the thought of asking for payment set in :(

She insisted that she wants to make full payment ( no idea what that is lol! ) no favours as she knows my daughter etc etc

No just the print and she will frame it herself.

It has cost me £18.00 and I have no idea what to ask her for. What about maybe £23.00 would that be ok?

I'd say at least £40 but as I'm not experienced in this area I could be miles off. £5 isn't much profit although I guess you're not looking to make a living out of it.

• Like 1

No just the print and she will frame it herself.

It has cost me £18.00 and I have no idea what to ask her for. What about maybe £23.00 would that be ok?

£18.00 plus your time (both taking the picture and processing) I would say a least £40.

And if I may £18 sounds a lot for 1 print - where are you sending them off too? Or is it on canvas?

• Like 1

A few years ago I received a personal message on my photo hosting site from the photo editor of Coast Magazine, she wanted to agree terms for a single use of one of my images to appear in the magazine. I had no idea how much to ask for and whether I made a mistake or not I'm not sure, I just asked how much they normally pay. When she said £80.00 I nearly snapped her hand off... :rofl: Not bad considering I was only out for a day on the Gower Peninsula in South Wales when I took the shot.

• Like 1

The image 24x16 was printed on wide format satin paper, this plus vat and postage came to 17.78

I use DSCL.

Thank you for all this information and your thoughts. I don't want to over charge her as she did mention there was another couple of local scene images she might ask for too. Maybe I'll go for 30.00 and see what she thinks.

• Like 2

Be careful to point out the price that you will be charging in the future.

I had this delemma when I used to design and knit for people on my knitting machine.

You need to put a realistic price on your work.

If you don't want to charge this lady the full price, how about an invoice with the usual price on and then give the discount underneath.

This way the customer will know the normal price in the future so that anyone else who seems the picture and wants to order will have an idea of what they will have to pay.

You have to take into account the time, effort and up front cost to you.

Edited by NannyFerret
  • Like 1

Be careful to point out the price that you will be charging in the future.

I had this delemma when I used to design and knit for people on my knitting machine.

You need to put a realistic price on your work.

If you don't want to charge this lady the full price, how about an invoice with the usual price on and then give the discount underneath.

This way the customer will know the normal price in the future so that anyone else who seems the picture and wants to order will have an idea of what they will have to pay.

You have to take into account the time, effort and up front cost to you.

You are so right!

My problem is I never thought for a moment anyone would want to purchase anything I took. Lol!

I have since found out that my daughter was showing a couple of my landscape images which I have had professionaly framed to her clients.

At least now I understand why she asked for a copy now. She saw the image in question on my daughters Facebook

So right now I have no idea what my future price would be :(

I will maybe tell her that they are normally £40.00 and ask for £30.00 at least for this size of image.

I really appreciate all the advice thank you everyone !

congrats on the first sale!

i sell photos, hand painted signs and other graphics in a local shop.  generally i charge double what it cost to make at any time, in other words, if i find something on sale they still get charged double the normal price - it may not be on sale if they want another.  i usually also include a small wear and tear equipment fee - $0.50/image for photos, $0.25/sign.

i've heard of other photographers charge per square inch.  but they usually due their own printing.

Edited by cuilin

Definetly.

The price of the printing alone takes a big chunk out of any profit that you make.

Have you seen the price of prints in the shops?

Agree 100% - best advice I can give is search the web and sign up email accounts on various companies. They all do tempting offers often up to 75% off certain items and using email means you get to know. Don't use quick 24 hour services as you will pay extra for a fast turn-around.

Edited by colinb

Congrats on the sale Cathy.

For prints I usually charge treble the cost of printing, but as it is mainly portraits this includes the sitting fee. But for a print that size I would be charging at least £50.

If it were for advertising/commercial use that is a different matter,some I have given away for good causes others I have charged for.

For example this one was seen on my website by a New Zealand University five years ago looking for a spring lamb image (it's a Welsh lamb) for a advert in a Japanese Magazine for the university,the director of the university told me none of the New Zealand lamb stock photos came near this(,go figure) so I sold it for a once only use for £100.

original.jpg

Edited by OlyPaul

I sell a few from my website and more through a gallery or two. £40 is quite reasonable for a 24x16 print. It will cost you as much to post on as it costs DSCL (who are good trade printers and quite reasonable) to post it to you.