Hi to all our members ... We  would just like to draw your attention to the latest post on the following link... Thank you for your attention .If you have already responded to my note  on Chatbox  about this please ignore this sticky note ... Thanks  folks ....

http://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/46369-important~-the-forum-its-future-and-finances/

Clicker and Ryewolf   ADMIN TEAM 

Regretfully we have to once again ask members for  some financial support in order to  keep TIPF  running till December 2023. The more pledges we have to become  FRIEND OF THE FORUM  the less the individual cost will be so  if you want this Forum to continue  please follow the link below  and decide  if you are able to  support us . Thank you all for your support in the past ... it has been appreciated  a great deal ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-important-notice/

Clicker and Ryewolf  ...  Admin Team 

Hi TIPFers 

I AM HERE AGAIN WITH THE  BEGGING BOWL TO ENSURE THE FORUM CAN KEEP GOING ... Please follow  below if you want to  support the continuation  of this Forum and  this  small but friendly community. 

As always your support is  both vital and appreciated ...

Clicker and Ryewolf ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-4th-july-2023/

grist mill

cuilin

an old grist mill in a west virginia state park.  i'd like to go back there some autumn and shoot the same photo with a little less rock in the foreground, but it's out in the middle of nowhere.  and it's pretty hard to plan my weekends off to coincide with autumn colors.  normally the park is crammed with leafers who pride themselves with standing in front of as many cameras as possible, but it was raining that day so the park was unnaturally empty.

the mill was reconstructed using parts from 3 different mills found around west virginia.  the building was disassembled as little as possible from one site and moved here.  the millstone inside, which still works and they produce ground cornmeal on site, came from a second location.  the water wheel was all that was left at the third location, so that too was moved to the park.

16004282050_8ba4885071_b.jpg

I am not a fan of milky water at all, but that is gorgeous, and the milky water only adds to the picture.

What a lovely scene, and the colours in those trees is fab.

I hope you go back one day too, for some more lovely pictures.

I think that's a lovely image. The composition, the colours, the atmosphere are just perfect.

I see your point re the foreground, but I really don't find that the rocks intrude too much.

Nice work!

Korky

BTW - what's a 'leafer'?

an old grist mill in a west virginia state park.  i'd like to go back there some autumn and shoot the same photo with a little less rock in the foreground, but it's out in the middle of nowhere.  and it's pretty hard to plan my weekends off to coincide with autumn colors.  normally the park is crammed with leafers who pride themselves with standing in front of as many cameras as possible, but it was raining that day so the park was unnaturally empty.

the mill was reconstructed using parts from 3 different mills found around west virginia.  the building was disassembled as little as possible from one site and moved here.  the millstone inside, which still works and they produce ground cornmeal on site, came from a second location.  the water wheel was all that was left at the third location, so that too was moved to the park.

The water is a bit too static for my taste, but otherwise it's a great shot.

I am not a fan of milky water at all, but that is gorgeous, and the milky water only adds to the picture.

What a lovely scene, and the colours in those trees is fab.

I hope you go back one day too, for some more lovely pictures.

thanks.  i'm sure i'll get back there someday, but it really isn't on the way to anywhere and the nearest decent hotel is a couple hours away.  the trees are usually fuller, these are a little bare.  i think the rain and wind knocked some of the leaves off.

yep, agree, great shot, like the composition, water and colour.

geoff

thank you.

Very nice. I can also understand why you would like to go back and catch an image with less rock. :)

it looked fine for awhile, then it just started becoming too much rock.  but your shooting location depends on how much water there is in the river.  you stand on this giant flat stone just above the water and the less water the more you can move towards the center of the river and away from the upright bolder.  and i had a shorter tripod at the time.  thanks.

I am also not a milky water fan but it works ok here.

That looks like a stunning place to walk around with a camera.

Very nice image with lovely colours

Ron

thanks.  you'd think the place was stunning all around, but it's weird.  the view only works at one or 2 angles, other than that it's all parking lot and roadway, or your view is obscured by trees.

I think that's a lovely image. The composition, the colours, the atmosphere are just perfect.

I see your point re the foreground, but I really don't find that the rocks intrude too much.

Nice work!

Korky

BTW - what's a 'leafer'?

thanks.  a leafer is a city slicker (usually new york and new jersey, you can tell by the accents) who comes to the country during the fall season just to see the leaves when they've changed color.  they pride themselves on being loud about how unsophisticated and unadvanced everything is outside of the city, even though they're still wearing high fashions from the 80s.  they usually stand in front of the door of buildings smoking (most parks are no smoking around here) while you're trying to leave.  then they watch you set up your tripod and camera, put their cigarette out as you adjust the settings.  next thing you know they're standing in front of your camera pointing at the scene going "oh, wow, look at that" and stand there for the next hour.  they also usually bring a multitude of children (i believe they must rent some for the occasion) and let them run wild everywhere.

in the summer they turn into beachers.  again, people from new jersey and new york, both coastal states with beaches, that sit in 7 hours of backup to drive what should have been a 3 hour trip to go to a beach that's exactly the same as the one they have in their state, except it's free...  they're often the old fat guy with the slicked back hair and gold chain in the thong that you always see satirized in comedies.  they really do exist and it's not pretty.

Yep, a very nice picture with great composition, thirds, lead lines etc. Gorgeous place well captured.

thank you.

The water is a bit too static for my taste, but otherwise it's a great shot.

not sure what you mean by static..  but thanks for commenting.

Its a cracking shot, :)

thank you.

thanks everyone for taking the time to look.

not sure what you mean by static..  but thanks for commenting.

What I meant was : moving water should have motion blur, which is best captured at around 1/30 second? for waterfalls. Many photographers shoot moving water with a too-slow shutter speed, and the water consequently "whites out" to a static curtain that's frozen every bit as much as if they'd used 1/1000 second. In other words, there's no sense of movement, just a milky white curtain. Hope that explains what I meant.

What I meant was : moving water should have motion blur, which is best captured at around 1/30 second? for waterfalls. Many photographers shoot moving water with a too-slow shutter speed, and the water consequently "whites out" to a static curtain that's frozen every bit as much as if they'd used 1/1000 second. In other words, there's no sense of movement, just a milky white curtain. Hope that explains what I meant.

ah, i'd never heard that terminology used in that way.  thanks for the definition.

All good for me  :thumbup:

thank you colin.

Archived