Hi to all our members ... We  would just like to draw your attention to the latest post on the following link... Thank you for your attention .If you have already responded to my note  on Chatbox  about this please ignore this sticky note ... Thanks  folks ....

http://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/46369-important~-the-forum-its-future-and-finances/

Clicker and Ryewolf   ADMIN TEAM 

Regretfully we have to once again ask members for  some financial support in order to  keep TIPF  running till December 2023. The more pledges we have to become  FRIEND OF THE FORUM  the less the individual cost will be so  if you want this Forum to continue  please follow the link below  and decide  if you are able to  support us . Thank you all for your support in the past ... it has been appreciated  a great deal ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-important-notice/

Clicker and Ryewolf  ...  Admin Team 

Hi TIPFers 

I AM HERE AGAIN WITH THE  BEGGING BOWL TO ENSURE THE FORUM CAN KEEP GOING ... Please follow  below if you want to  support the continuation  of this Forum and  this  small but friendly community. 

As always your support is  both vital and appreciated ...

Clicker and Ryewolf ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-4th-july-2023/

Lighting-make background go black

A quick lighting question. I set up one of my lights on a grey background and as my grandaughter was staying she was my model. In the photo I was trying to make the background darker by feathering the light from the side. How would I place it to make the background darker?

I forgot to turn off my house lights which gave the Orange glow but Charly liked it so I left it in.

post-1020-0-78521500-1423091071.jpg

• Like 1

i'm no lighting expert so use at your own risk.  try giving more separation between your subject and background, make sure your light isn't spilling onto the background.  take a photo with ambient/available light, turn your studio lights off.  if that's as dark as you want your background then add in your subject and lighting, just make sure that you don't light the background.

• Like 1

Move back away from background if you can and feather lights even more. Move them further to the side and position so that only the light from the rearmost edge of the light falls on the side of the subject. However, this depends on what the light is. If it is an opaque umbrella or soft box this will work. A shoot through umbrella will not be as effective as a lot of light goes through and bounces around the room. You could also try flagging the light with paper or foam board sheets to stop light hitting where you don't want it, same as using barn doors on video lights etc.

Great picture by the way.

Edited by Graham
  • Like 1

I don't know much about this kind of lighting.....but I do know a great photograph when I see one.....

Just beautiful.

Could I suggest that you take a look at the fantastic B & H photography tutorials on YouTube, they have top experts in every branch of photography speaking and demonstrating.....and,meets if all.....its FREE!

Try these for a start..

FUJI

• Like 1

Thank you again everyone you are way too kind!

I have a Lencarta home kit that I got about a year ago and have only had it out a few times.

I was using Charly to see how the light was falling on her from different positions and decided that I would try the feathering to get the background darker. The images taken before were a little too light for me. I used the softbox with only the back edge just off her body. I should have turned my wall lights off but forgot :(

I will take all your advice and have a go at getting her further from the background and also placing the light farther away too.

Fuji off to have a look at the video links they look interesting thank you.

Cathy

I think that's a beautiful picture, and a beautiful girl. For that particular picture, I like the paler background, it's the two dark corners on the right which distract me.

Chris I see what you mean. My fault as this was me trying to add a vignette lol!

I just could not get it right because of the difference in shading of the background so I must pull that back a little when I edit it again.

Foam board is two sheets of white card with a foam, or other material, core. It is available from arts and craft type stores usually in 2ft by 3ft sheets through to huge things. The smaller sheets I find very handy as flags or reflectors and are quite inexpensive. You could get a can of Matt black spray paint and do one side black. They do get dinged and scratched but that does not affect the way they work.

Edited by Graham
  • Like 1

Hi Cathy that is a beautiful image and the warmth of the house lights really works in this instance.

Getting your subject further away from the background can some times be a problem in tight spaces so here is a tip.

In this case with side lighting use a board or anything make shift (like a clothes horse with a blanket over it) and place it to block the light spilling onto your background.

This is a overhead view of what I mean.

159054189.jpg

• Like 1

Hi Cathy that is a beautiful image and the warmth of the house lights really works in this instance.

Getting your subject further away from the background can some times be a problem in tight spaces so here is a tip.

In this case with side lighting use a board or anything make shift (like a clothes horse with a blanket over it) and place it to block the light spilling onto your background.

Thank you so much I have saved this and next time I get the lights out I will try it.

Cathy