Hi to all our members ... We  would just like to draw your attention to the latest post on the following link... Thank you for your attention .If you have already responded to my note  on Chatbox  about this please ignore this sticky note ... Thanks  folks ....

http://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/46369-important~-the-forum-its-future-and-finances/

Clicker and Ryewolf   ADMIN TEAM 

Regretfully we have to once again ask members for  some financial support in order to  keep TIPF  running till December 2023. The more pledges we have to become  FRIEND OF THE FORUM  the less the individual cost will be so  if you want this Forum to continue  please follow the link below  and decide  if you are able to  support us . Thank you all for your support in the past ... it has been appreciated  a great deal ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-important-notice/

Clicker and Ryewolf  ...  Admin Team 

Hi TIPFers 

I AM HERE AGAIN WITH THE  BEGGING BOWL TO ENSURE THE FORUM CAN KEEP GOING ... Please follow  below if you want to  support the continuation  of this Forum and  this  small but friendly community. 

As always your support is  both vital and appreciated ...

Clicker and Ryewolf ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-4th-july-2023/

Google Doc's - why buy Office?

colinb

­Forgive me if this has come up before but I thought it worth mentioning for those members looking to upgrade to a newer computer and may also need to purchase something like Microsoft Office.

Before you do it could be worth you taking a look at Googles FREE version of similar(ish) software. You can download the equivalent of Word, Excell and other office type products completely free.

I have been using both the word and excel variants in which you can import any current documents you may already have created in Office.

Plus one major point for me is your stuff is stored on the cloud and can be accessed using any computer from anywhere you like. Saves you having to copy and paste documents from PC to laptop or carrying around a memory stick. It will even let you open a document, edit it while someone else e.g. partner at home or work, has the same copy open and they can see their version updating as you type. :thumbup:

What have you got to lose? Give it a go you can always purchase Office later if you don’t like it :smiling:

http://www.google.co.uk/docs/about/

• Like 2

Apple supply their entire office suite with Mac's and iThingies for free - I'll stick with that   :thumbup:

well yes BP I would too but I was talking more Windoz than Mac :yes  :thumbup:

Leon do you use Open Office? how does it stack up against word etc and is it cloud based?

Edited by colinb
  • Like 1

I have LibreOffice on my Mac (which is very very similar to OpenOffice) - it opens absolutely everything, from long obsolete AppleWorks suite, through to anything Office. What's more it has its own integrated WP, SS, DR, and maybe even painting and database modules too. Like BP I tend to use Apple's iWork for anything meaty, but it's nice to have software that has translators for so many products.

They would have to, nothing else is compatible 

No, you're quite right.

Only Office for Mac.

Oh, and OpenOffice, and LibreOffice

Oh and iWork can open, read, edit and create documents in Office formats

Oops, I nearly forgot TextEdit which can open and edit all flavours of Word, and save in that format too.

Why buy office? If you're a business that is pretty much based around office documents and your customers expect it then there's maybe a reason.

For home use, forget it, there are plenty of compatible alternatives.

With Apple kit you get their office suite and for Windows and/or Linux there is Open Office or Libre Office (and yes I use all of the above in different flavours on assorted desktop/laptop setups).

All of those can be used locally without a cloud connection which I find rather useful since i am often out and about and don't have a decent connection. OK you can't sync across multiple devices but if that is a concern then for non-private documents I could always use a cloud storage that doesn't report everything to google or whoever and just open the document in a local application if I have remembered to upload it beforehand. If I didn't remember then tough, it couldn't have been that important.

All of those can be used locally without a cloud connection which I find rather useful since i am often out and about and don't have a decent connection. OK you can't sync across multiple devices but if that is a concern then for non-private documents I could always use a cloud storage that doesn't report everything to google or whoever and just open the document in a local application if I have remembered to upload it beforehand. If I didn't remember then tough, it couldn't have been that important.

Well, yes you can! If it's just your own devices, there's iCloud and Dropbox to name but two; for online sharing and collaboration, Sharing via Dropbox will accomplish that. The advantage of those services is if you're away from a connection and they're documents you've elected to sync, then as soon as you're online again the documents will upload without you having to do a thing.

Why buy office?

Answer - because its good.   :)

Thats my take on it anyway.   :)

... and I to would say it is very good - but I was trying to point out another rather good option that is currently free for those who are updating to the likes of Windows 8 and maybe disappointed to find they need to stump up for Office. I found Google Docs Cloud capability extremely useful especially for non-apple systems at work.

Edited by colinb

well yes BP I would too but I was talking more Windoz than Mac :yes  :thumbup:

Leon do you use Open Office? how does it stack up against word etc and is it cloud based?

i've used it a few times for basic stuff, no idea about the cloud....