Hi to all our members ... We  would just like to draw your attention to the latest post on the following link... Thank you for your attention .If you have already responded to my note  on Chatbox  about this please ignore this sticky note ... Thanks  folks ....

http://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/46369-important~-the-forum-its-future-and-finances/

Clicker and Ryewolf   ADMIN TEAM 

Regretfully we have to once again ask members for  some financial support in order to  keep TIPF  running till December 2023. The more pledges we have to become  FRIEND OF THE FORUM  the less the individual cost will be so  if you want this Forum to continue  please follow the link below  and decide  if you are able to  support us . Thank you all for your support in the past ... it has been appreciated  a great deal ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-important-notice/

Clicker and Ryewolf  ...  Admin Team 

Hi TIPFers 

I AM HERE AGAIN WITH THE  BEGGING BOWL TO ENSURE THE FORUM CAN KEEP GOING ... Please follow  below if you want to  support the continuation  of this Forum and  this  small but friendly community. 

As always your support is  both vital and appreciated ...

Clicker and Ryewolf ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-4th-july-2023/

FOR KEV and other processing learners

FUJI

HI, Folks,

Chris drew attention to the asthetic (or was it anasthetic?) difference between our styles of post processing using Photoshop.

This isn't a tutorial, but a clear demonstration of what I tend to aim for...............the subject may seen strange at first but it suited what I want to show, and was inspired by the recent post by KEV of Rusty Clamps.

I use a tried and tested method called Contrast Grading, a technique used in the dark rooms of film days, when magical things would be done with different chemicals, burning and dodging (so I'm told ;-)   .......I use a Digital method using the similar principles.

To enhance the light here, to take it down there.....to push the contrast or to alter tones ......the important thing, is that I use my creative knowledge....or even just what I think looks best at the time.

The effects or changes, are placed in carefully selected areas to enhance the shot, a touch here, a touch there, but each one is done on a copy layer, at the OPACITY chosen.....a heavy touch will obliterate a very light touch will create a wash that can be seen through..( a very old Artists trick).

As the photograph develops, I check each stage....I might fade or increase an effect.......many folk keep all their working layers open.....I don't, I close each one as I go; it suits me that way because I don't have a logical mind, just a chaotic creative one ;-)

Some time ago Phil, kindly helped me to produce a video of my Contrast Grading method, it should be in the Tutorials section?

For my subject I chose the light streaming through my dusty workshop window, on to my Sharpening Machine, which is covered in dust and sawdust, because my recent eye problems meant that i daren't touch sharp tools so all has been rather neglected.

My examples show...

1: the original, untouched RAW shot reduced to a JPEG for posting

2: A Cropped and  fully processed Colour version, so you can see mty method works for colour shots:

3: The mono version cloned, then processed  from scratch, not just a B/W conversion of the colour one:

In each case, you should see, just how much processing can enhance a shot, no matter how mundane it might look at first: In both cases, texture has been achieved by targetting different levels of High Pass Sharpening just where needed, to emphasise edges, the grittiness of the Grinding Wheel and the bittiness of the Sawdust especially those tiny bits on the hard steel bar rest>

Observations and comments very welcome......At the moment, I can't tell how they will look after posting, all looks OK on my monitor:

FInger's Crossed!

FUJI

post-4-0-94553900-1420231114.jpg

post-4-0-93231400-1420231134.jpg

post-4-0-83206800-1420231160.jpg

In the processed colour version (2) I see a VERY SUBTLE enhancement of your original shot .. and it works really well to my eyes. Sometimes (at least to me anyway) you seem to over-process? but not here. This is class stuff!

Thank you Chris........perhaps the fact that my vision has been returned to normal in the last week or so, has improved things too?

I was seeing practically one- eyed, for two years after double cataract surgery exposed a membrane over the Macula in my left eye, this slowly distorted my vision until it was removed last summer.....

Thanks to new specs vision is pin sharp at all distances now, the surgeon performed a miracle, it took six months to heal, but the wait was worth it.......I do have a few distortions, if I close my right eye, but I can cope with those.

Unless you wasn't a bold effect processing should be very subtle.

Google ...Martin Henson Photographer, the Grand Master of the technique I use, look at his Galleries.

FUJI

I guess we will always process image different, often achieving the same end via a different journey. 

In areas that need selective sharpening I prefer to use the lasso tool, with a suitable edge feather, and sharpen using the unsharp mask (odd name as it does the opposite).

I seldom if at all touch brightness/contrast and prefer the flexibility of levels and curves to adjust tones.

• Like 1

I guess we will always process image different, often achieving the same end via a different journey. 

In areas that need selective sharpening I prefer to use the lasso tool, with a suitable edge feather, and sharpen using the unsharp mask (odd name as it does the opposite).

I seldom if at all touch brightness/contrast and prefer the flexibility of levels and curves to adjust tones.

Yeah, me too. Sometimes we forget that the simplest Photoshop tools are there for a reason..

I believe the term 'unsharp mask' was borrowed from the old printing days? Sharpening was done in stages, one of which involved UNsharpening! (Don't ask me why - I did read the article, but I've forgotten the scientific rationale).