Hi to all our members ... We  would just like to draw your attention to the latest post on the following link... Thank you for your attention .If you have already responded to my note  on Chatbox  about this please ignore this sticky note ... Thanks  folks ....

http://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/46369-important~-the-forum-its-future-and-finances/

Clicker and Ryewolf   ADMIN TEAM 

Regretfully we have to once again ask members for  some financial support in order to  keep TIPF  running till December 2023. The more pledges we have to become  FRIEND OF THE FORUM  the less the individual cost will be so  if you want this Forum to continue  please follow the link below  and decide  if you are able to  support us . Thank you all for your support in the past ... it has been appreciated  a great deal ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-important-notice/

Clicker and Ryewolf  ...  Admin Team 

Hi TIPFers 

I AM HERE AGAIN WITH THE  BEGGING BOWL TO ENSURE THE FORUM CAN KEEP GOING ... Please follow  below if you want to  support the continuation  of this Forum and  this  small but friendly community. 

As always your support is  both vital and appreciated ...

Clicker and Ryewolf ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-4th-july-2023/

Finally got it.

After a LONG time of promising myself I have finally got my first monitor calibration gear from Santa this year.

WOW! what a difference it makes once you have a calibrated screen!

:)

I've seen quite a few threads on this recently. I do agree that new computer displays are horrible (usually geared far too much towards red and blue) ... which is why I recalibrate straight away using the Mac calibration dialogue.

Will someone please explain to me why a 3rd-party device is superior to one's own eyes? (Bearing in mind that we all see colour in slightly different ways, and what seems "right" to one person will seem equally 'wrong' to someone else).

I've seen quite a few threads on this recently. I do agree that new computer displays are horrible (usually geared far too much towards red and blue) ... which is why I recalibrate straight away using the Mac calibration dialogue.

Will someone please explain to me why a 3rd-party device is superior to one's own eyes? (Bearing in mind that we all see colour in slightly different ways, and what seems "right" to one person will seem equally 'wrong' to someone else).

Exactly because we all perceive colours differently so if you set your screen for you it could still be technically wrong. A calibration device will set it right regardless of viewing preferences.

Yes - BUT - most laptop screens offer very poor performance when it comes to photo editing. It might still be worth doing but if your screen alters brightness/contrast/colour when you change your viewing angle then you're figting an uphill and almost pointless battle. If you have a high quality IPS screen with a wide viewing angle (like those in a MBP for instance) you will get better results.

Personally I'd say you would be better investng the cash on a decent monitor to plug into the laptop than spending it on a calibration device.

I use my laptop connected to a external monitor when using photoshop. Just saves investing in a stand alone PC. But you are right the problem with laptops as a rule is the angle of the screen can drastically alter the colour,brightnes and contrast of the image. But.... calibrating a stand alone monitor at least gives me peace of mind and the prints especially using photoshop in a WYSIWYG way has made a real difference.

• Like 1

Exactly because we all perceive colours differently so if you set your screen for you it could still be technically wrong. A calibration device will set it right regardless of viewing preferences.

Two responses to that :

1. I want my screen to be right for ME!!

2. I once took part in an online experiment, where you were presented with 5 or more rows, and you had to sort each row into its correct sequence - each row consisted of around 30 small blocks that shaded from, e.g., blue to green, or peach to pink; but they were all mixed up and you had to drag them into the correct sequence. I scored 100% which apparently was pretty rare, so I do trust my eyes.

Bottom line - I don't want a device that calibrates my screen to something that simply doesn't look right to me.

Which is fine until you share an image with anyone or send it somewhere to be printed - if you are happy with those potential problems great but s correctly calibrated screen is still the better option.

I don't print. And comparing the 99% of the time I look at my images onscreen compared to the 1% I share ... well, you get the picture (no pun intended).