Hi to all our members ... We  would just like to draw your attention to the latest post on the following link... Thank you for your attention .If you have already responded to my note  on Chatbox  about this please ignore this sticky note ... Thanks  folks ....

http://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/46369-important~-the-forum-its-future-and-finances/

Clicker and Ryewolf   ADMIN TEAM 

Regretfully we have to once again ask members for  some financial support in order to  keep TIPF  running till December 2023. The more pledges we have to become  FRIEND OF THE FORUM  the less the individual cost will be so  if you want this Forum to continue  please follow the link below  and decide  if you are able to  support us . Thank you all for your support in the past ... it has been appreciated  a great deal ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-important-notice/

Clicker and Ryewolf  ...  Admin Team 

Hi TIPFers 

I AM HERE AGAIN WITH THE  BEGGING BOWL TO ENSURE THE FORUM CAN KEEP GOING ... Please follow  below if you want to  support the continuation  of this Forum and  this  small but friendly community. 

As always your support is  both vital and appreciated ...

Clicker and Ryewolf ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-4th-july-2023/

What Mac?

Thinking of looking for a mac to help with both my photography and design work probably going to be a 'used' one - any suggestions or help what model etc?

Gosh, how long is a piece of string?

It very much depends on (i) what you want to use it for and (ii) what software you want to run.

An iMac is powerful enough to run all shades of Photoshop, but do be aware that an Intel Mac from 2010 onwards (running OS X 10.7 10.8 10.9 or the new 10.10) can only run the latest versions of Photoshop, i.e. from CS4(?) onwards, though they will run Elements 6 and up. However, if you can only afford certain software, I would recommend you get Elements or Pixelmator, which do pretty much all you want. (I'm not sure which versions of Lightroom can be run on what Macs, as I don't use it). For general edits, iPhoto (you get it free) is pretty capable for a basic, non-layer based program, and Picasa for Mac is also free.

I personally would recommend you go for a Core i3 model as a minimum, though Core i5 is faster (my i5 is a 2011 model 21.5"). Older Intel Macs would probably run as far as 10.9 at a pinch but I wouldn't recommend it, you'd get lots of slowdowns.

The one thing with iMacs is that they are generally not upgradeable apart from RAM. However, when new they come with capable graphics chips which don't age that fast, and if you don't want to play 3D shoot-em-up games, will be more than adequate.

If you've more questions or an idea of what your budget is, do come back with more questions.

Edited by ChrisLumix

Personally I think the iMac is a great solution to home computing. You get a small footprint, good performance, an incredible screen and a superb OS with lovely keyboard and superb (not to be dismissed) magic mouse.

Mine is a 2010ish model running on an i5 that still rocks along with LR5 and CC though if push came to shove I would like a bit more guts - but I'm picky.

Thanks for the replies Guys, all very helpful

Korky great link, already been there but the 'act quickly ' advice is good

Chris - mainly a CS6 and inDesign along with LR, I would like to learn adobe illustrator as well but I don't think there is enough time in the day at present. and I may get back to you once I have seen something.

I run a 2011 imac. I5 processor. I did upgrade the ram which was straight forward. I run the latest Adobe cc and Lightoom software no problem whatsoever. The Mac runs like it was new. I find it never crashes on me either. The imac has been the most stable computer I have ever used. Always upgraded the software without a hitch.

Just another thought - If you need to run Windows as well, then VMWare Fusion doesn't cost the earth and runs Windows perfectly - you need a kosher Windows install disk of course.

I have it installed on my MacBook and it really is superb - Windows 7 runs flawlessly and before that I had XP working brilliantly well. Both Mac OS and Windows run together and you can swap on the fly.

Well worth bearing in mind if you still have Windows software you can't live without, but perhaps want to get rid of your PC to finance the Mac.

Korky

Chris - mainly a CS6 and inDesign along with LR, I would like to learn adobe illustrator as well but I don't think there is enough time in the day at present. and I may get back to you once I have seen something.

If those are Windows versions, see below about running a Windows 'virtual machine' using VMWare or Parallels. You need to have your original Windows install disk though...

I run a 2011 imac. I5 processor. I did upgrade the ram which was straight forward. I run the latest Adobe cc and Lightoom software no problem whatsoever. The Mac runs like it was new. I find it never crashes on me either. The imac has been the most stable computer I have ever used. Always upgraded the software without a hitch.

Yes, I'm on 12GB now, as I found the supplied 4GB inadequate! The only naff thing is Flash Player (yeuch) which occasionally uses more than 100% CPU and causes Safari to freeze momentarily, which is a pain when you're typing stuff.

Just another thought - If you need to run Windows as well, then VMWare Fusion doesn't cost the earth and runs Windows perfectly - you need a kosher Windows install disk of course.

....   Both Mac OS and Windows run together and you can swap on the fly.

Well worth bearing in mind if you still have Windows software you can't live without, but perhaps want to get rid of your PC to finance the Mac.

Or you could try Parallels which does the same job. If you have the Windows version of the software you referred to, it means you can run them in Mac OS X without having to reboot into Windows. (Apple supplies Bootcamp for free, but you have to reboot into Windows then back into OS X afterwards - Fusion and Parallels mean you don't have to do that, as long as you've installed Windows).