Hi to all our members ... We  would just like to draw your attention to the latest post on the following link... Thank you for your attention .If you have already responded to my note  on Chatbox  about this please ignore this sticky note ... Thanks  folks ....

http://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/46369-important~-the-forum-its-future-and-finances/

Clicker and Ryewolf   ADMIN TEAM 

Regretfully we have to once again ask members for  some financial support in order to  keep TIPF  running till December 2023. The more pledges we have to become  FRIEND OF THE FORUM  the less the individual cost will be so  if you want this Forum to continue  please follow the link below  and decide  if you are able to  support us . Thank you all for your support in the past ... it has been appreciated  a great deal ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-important-notice/

Clicker and Ryewolf  ...  Admin Team 

Hi TIPFers 

I AM HERE AGAIN WITH THE  BEGGING BOWL TO ENSURE THE FORUM CAN KEEP GOING ... Please follow  below if you want to  support the continuation  of this Forum and  this  small but friendly community. 

As always your support is  both vital and appreciated ...

Clicker and Ryewolf ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-4th-july-2023/

The river soar

Hi

I do the cover pictures for a local magazine, the editor wanted something fresh and local and I came back with this. He didn't use it but preferred another. Even editors are wrong sometimes :rolleyes: . I may post that later.

post-33-0-16085600-1408868010.jpg

Bill, you have an amazing talent for Landscape photography.....this proves it beyond any doubt.

One of my biggest whinges on here is the lack of ......Landscape......opportunities in my immediate area, not counting my neighbouring Castle.

Here you seem to have lifted the ordinary up into the extraordinary......just how I'm not sure, perhaps you can let us in on some if your secrets?

Go on.......please? ;-)

The location was pure blind luck. Like you I struggle in my own area which is relatively flat (apart from Charnwood Forest) littered with pylons and steel sheds and all the hedges seem to be tall and scruffy so there is no real view wherever you look.

I  determined to take some pictures of the river Soar. Research in Google Maps suggested three good locations the first two of which were so overgrown with trees you could hardly see the river. Just outside Loughborough the maps suggested a long stretch in view and when I got there there was beautiful broken could one way and thick grey cloud the other - in the direction I expected to be shooting. I got out of my van and decided to see if there was a decent view the other way and found this and he other view which the editor decided to use. This shot was made on a Canon 5DMk3 with 17-40 lens at 29mm f16 @ 1/100 pre-focussed to the hyperfocal distance with an ND grad to hold in the sky. It needed just a little processing in Lightroom to make it "pop."

I think the biggest thing about landscape photography, and I still have to work at it, is that if you don't have "the grand view" to work with you have to really work to learn how to see what detail within the overall surroundings will combine to make a good picture. I recommend looking through the viewfinder (so the whole of your surroundings are not visible) and then slowly panning with a zoom lens to vary the content of the frame. Sometimes a picture will pop out, after enough practice using this the photographer will start to see the elements separated from the whole without the aid of the viewfinder.

I think that's a superb landscape, and as a non-journalist I would certainly have chosen it.

Just to get inside that editor's mind for half a second .. do you think it's possible that he wanted one single man-made element somewhere? I'm only guessing.

.. do you think it's possible that he wanted one single man-made element somewhere? I'm only guessing.

It's important on a cover that the text does not spoil the image and vice versa, the layout of the other image fits the magazine's cover layout better.

Archived