Hi to all our members ... We  would just like to draw your attention to the latest post on the following link... Thank you for your attention .If you have already responded to my note  on Chatbox  about this please ignore this sticky note ... Thanks  folks ....

http://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/46369-important~-the-forum-its-future-and-finances/

Clicker and Ryewolf   ADMIN TEAM 

Regretfully we have to once again ask members for  some financial support in order to  keep TIPF  running till December 2023. The more pledges we have to become  FRIEND OF THE FORUM  the less the individual cost will be so  if you want this Forum to continue  please follow the link below  and decide  if you are able to  support us . Thank you all for your support in the past ... it has been appreciated  a great deal ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-important-notice/

Clicker and Ryewolf  ...  Admin Team 

Hi TIPFers 

I AM HERE AGAIN WITH THE  BEGGING BOWL TO ENSURE THE FORUM CAN KEEP GOING ... Please follow  below if you want to  support the continuation  of this Forum and  this  small but friendly community. 

As always your support is  both vital and appreciated ...

Clicker and Ryewolf ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-4th-july-2023/

Mine's bigger than yours.

Brian

This isn't about cars, but Engines.

In Wedderburn we have a club called The Wedderburn Historical Engine Club (or something like that) and here is their latest project. A Ruston Hornsby diesel engine from the UK.

Here they are installing the crankshaft and flywheel. For those historical buffs, read on past the photos.

post-850-0-90151200-1407800226.jpg

post-850-0-91509800-1407800230.jpg

post-850-0-90833900-1407800273.jpg

This engine is a twin cylinder diesel, made by Ruston Hornsby, from Lincoln, UK. 

Here is a brief history ........the Ruston was the source of electricity for the Wedderburn and Korong Vale area in NW Victoria, from the mid 1930's until 1953, when grid power was introduced. When it was running, it could be quite noisy, so nobody minded when it was decommissioned. 

It was then sold off and had a variety of jobs and ended its working life in a Timber Mill in SW Victoria. Again it became outmoded and was bought by a boat owner who was going to use it as a boat mooring anchor. Fortunately, it was spotted being transported through Woornambool to its last resting place, by an engine enthusiast. He literally chased the truck down the road, caught it and our engine had a reprieve. 

This enthusiast then took the engine to a Swap Meet in Woornambool in 1974 and it was seen by a member of the Wedderburn Engine Club, who recognised it for what it was. Funds were raised and the Ruston was brought home and work began on its restoration. Like many restoration projects, enthusiasm waxed and waned and the project was more or less abandoned for more than 30 years. Then two or three years ago, a new generation of Club Members got the project on the move again and after many hours and dollars, completion is not too far off.

Hopefully, the thunder of the Mighty Ruston will soon be heard again in Wedderburn.

interesting post Brian but if I may if believe it is Ruston-Hornsby without the H.

Good luck with restoring part of Lincolns engineering heritage, some of the old factory is still there but is now part of the Siemens group making large turbines often used in the offshore oil industry.

Interesting stuff, Brian. A real dirt under the finger nails and blokey hobby. I bet you don't have many female members!

Korky

Thanks Korky. You're right, not a skirt in sight, but when there is a Swap Meet or something of that nature, we can always rely on the wives and girlfriends to man (so to speak) the coffee and hamburger stalls. Bless 'em.

interesting post Brian but if I may if believe it is Ruston-Hornsby without the H.

Good luck with restoring part of Lincolns engineering heritage, some of the old factory is still there but is now part of the Siemens group making large turbines often used in the offshore oil industry.

You're right Colin and I've fixed up the text. I don't know how that one slipped by, as can be seen in the additional photo, I had the name on the casting all along. Careless!

post-850-0-73038700-1407837064.jpg

Archived