Hi to all our members ... We  would just like to draw your attention to the latest post on the following link... Thank you for your attention .If you have already responded to my note  on Chatbox  about this please ignore this sticky note ... Thanks  folks ....

http://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/46369-important~-the-forum-its-future-and-finances/

Clicker and Ryewolf   ADMIN TEAM 

Regretfully we have to once again ask members for  some financial support in order to  keep TIPF  running till December 2023. The more pledges we have to become  FRIEND OF THE FORUM  the less the individual cost will be so  if you want this Forum to continue  please follow the link below  and decide  if you are able to  support us . Thank you all for your support in the past ... it has been appreciated  a great deal ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-important-notice/

Clicker and Ryewolf  ...  Admin Team 

Hi TIPFers 

I AM HERE AGAIN WITH THE  BEGGING BOWL TO ENSURE THE FORUM CAN KEEP GOING ... Please follow  below if you want to  support the continuation  of this Forum and  this  small but friendly community. 

As always your support is  both vital and appreciated ...

Clicker and Ryewolf ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-4th-july-2023/

One for my macro friends to ID.

JohnP

I think this is a Scarce Emerald Damselfly... what do you think? If it is then as I said in a previous post I really am on a roll this summer... so many new finds and photos added to my files.

post-19-0-72414900-1404490032.jpg

I'm not conviced it's the scarce emerald "lestes dryas", although I'd like to believe it. The scarce emerald is rare and localised. According to the BDS it's almost exclusively restricted to east anglia and kent, and listed as vulnerable in the British Red Data Book on insects.

Also, the colouring on segment 8 is not as full as on the scarce, leading me toward the more common emeral damselfly "lestes sponsa".

On the other hand, the 'anal appendages' or graspers do look curved on your picture which is more likely in the scarce, and the eyes are very blue.

This might be worth submitting to the BDS for clarification and if it is a scarce, they will be happy to hear of the location since I suspect it's outside the usual range noted for them.

I found that, but S2 on your one is almost completely powder blue which suggests the more common species.

It would certainly be worth sending it to the BDS, along with the location (exact as possible), date and time.

I hope you're right as it would be an unusual sighting from what I can tell.

questions@british-dragonflies.org.uk is the mail address they give for queries

I found that, but S2 on your one is almost completely powder blue which suggests the more common species.

It would certainly be worth sending it to the BDS, along with the location (exact as possible), date and time.

I hope you're right as it would be an unusual sighting from what I can tell.

questions@british-dragonflies.org.uk is the mail address they give for queries

Done that.

fab picture very well captured, lets hope its the rare one, bit of Kudos for you if it is John, please let us know the outcome

Richard... it would be nice if it's rare but it's still a first for me even if it's a common Emerald Damselfly, I've had so many new sightings and shots this summer... I'm just happy.... even when I get wet feet... :rofl:

Here's the reply from the BDS. Even though it's a common Emerald Damselfly I'm still happy to add another new species to my files.

Hi John

Your photograph shows a male common Emerald Damselfly Lestes sponsa. If you look carefully the inside pair of appendages at the tip of the abdomen are straight. They would be incurved in Scarce Emerald. Segment 2 of the abdomen, just behind the wings, is also completely blue (though some on the top has been scratched off when mating). Scarce Emerald would have the lower end of this segment shiny green.

If you would like your record to contribute towards our national database, please enter it online via the ‘Simple record form’ at:

http://www.british-dragonflies.org.uk/content/submit-records

Best wishes

Pam Taylor

BDS

That's a quick reply :)

I was talking to the BDS guy at Wicken this morning and that point about the inside pair of appendages was something he mentioned. The outside pair are normally curved in both species which is where some confusion can occur..

Glad you got another one to add to your book, and a fine picture it is too.

Bugs... I've bookmarked the link for sending details of sightings to the BDS, I've made a start and sent photos of this Damsel and my Golden-ringed Dragonfly along with dates and grid references.

Archived