Hi to all our members ... We  would just like to draw your attention to the latest post on the following link... Thank you for your attention .If you have already responded to my note  on Chatbox  about this please ignore this sticky note ... Thanks  folks ....

http://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/46369-important~-the-forum-its-future-and-finances/

Clicker and Ryewolf   ADMIN TEAM 

Regretfully we have to once again ask members for  some financial support in order to  keep TIPF  running till December 2023. The more pledges we have to become  FRIEND OF THE FORUM  the less the individual cost will be so  if you want this Forum to continue  please follow the link below  and decide  if you are able to  support us . Thank you all for your support in the past ... it has been appreciated  a great deal ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-important-notice/

Clicker and Ryewolf  ...  Admin Team 

Hi TIPFers 

I AM HERE AGAIN WITH THE  BEGGING BOWL TO ENSURE THE FORUM CAN KEEP GOING ... Please follow  below if you want to  support the continuation  of this Forum and  this  small but friendly community. 

As always your support is  both vital and appreciated ...

Clicker and Ryewolf ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-4th-july-2023/

SUMMER HAT

FUJI

This is the second time I have taken a portrait of this wonderful gent, he is always cheerful, even though he finds getting about in two sticks very difficult, I just didnt want to intrude too closely (wish that I had) so this is a crop:

Another experiment with selective High Pass sharpening.........I'm still getting to grips with it:

(Thanks to new member Pauln)

Best viewed LARGE.............Click on Pic:

FUJI

post-4-0-10439700-1401733413.jpg

Thank you Chris......Yes! ......The High Pass filter when you first experience it is completely baffling, especially when it turns your precious photograph into a foggy grey etching.......then, if you don't understand it makes a complete mess of the conversion.

But!.......once you get the layers, modes and opacity sorted it suddenly starts to make sense.

Love Photoshop.

FUJI

Thank you Chris......Yes! ......The High Pass filter when you first experience it is completely baffling, especially when it turns your precious photograph into a foggy grey etching.......then, if you don't understand it makes a complete mess of the conversion.

But!.......once you get the layers, modes and opacity sorted it suddenly starts to make sense.

Love Photoshop.

FUJI

The interesting thing would be to know what that filter was developed to do. From what I can make out, its sharpening properties are "merely" an interesting byproduct.

when I first looked I thought the glasses hiding his right eye spoilt the shot - but the more I look the more I think it kind of adds to the photo. :thumbup:

regarding the High pass filter - just remember to change the duplicated layer to 'overlay' - and don't go mad with the slider as it can throw up some odd effects.

Hi, Colin,

Many thanks,

The glasses, hiding his right eye? This type of thing is one of the drawbacks? of Street Portrature, I cant ask a complete stranger to adjust, specs, comb hair or pose etc, that would result in a studio-like pose, which I try to avoid at all costs......with me its......What you see...is.....What you get.

My only request, is that they look straight into camera, but as Im chatting all the time, about the weather, politics or whatever, they just look natural.

The High Pass Filter...

I admit to attempting to understand and to use the High Pass Filter without any success whatsoever many times in the past, so I simply gave up.

It was only the amazing processing done by new member Pauln that motivated me to get my old head around it......his notes, plus watching four different YouTube tutorials gave me some measure of understanding.

I learned that you have choice of mode, from Overlay, soft light, hard light etc whith which to get your shot looking as you want, each one changes the edges of things to give different emphasis.

All fascinating stuff, but, be warned, like with all photo software, it is all too easy to go overboard with what the sliders and options can do.

I can reccommend that, if you do have PS then give it a go.

FUJI

That's not quite what I meant Fuji - the high pass filter was not developed for sharpening, or it would be in the Sharpen group of filters. So my question is - what was its original purpose? How is it used, when not for sharpening? (Not that I plan to use it except for sharpening).

I can reccommend that, if you do have PS then give it a go.

FUJI

and so can I, have been using Photoshop since 1998 (Photoshop 4 (( I think)) and I use at least 4 times a week in my 'proper' job as well as my hobby. And as I often say on here always more than happy to help with anyone who is struggling with the basics.

Chris I have no idea if the high pass was ever used for anything other a sharpening tool, maybe Adobe thought it should be a stand alone tool rather than in with the unsharpen (another misnamer) tool etc ??

and so can I, have been using Photoshop since 1998 (Photoshop 4 (( I think)) and I use at least 4 times a week in my 'proper' job as well as my hobby. And as I often say on here always more than happy to help with anyone who is struggling with the basics.

Chris I have no idea if the high pass was ever used for anything other a sharpening tool, maybe Adobe thought it should be a stand alone tool rather than in with the unsharpen (another misnamer) tool etc ??

Apparently the 'Unsharp mask' is one of those terms inherited from printing or pre-digital photography. It really does involve a blurred mask as one stage in making the original appear sharper, but  the science is totally beyond me.

Archived