Hi to all our members ... We  would just like to draw your attention to the latest post on the following link... Thank you for your attention .If you have already responded to my note  on Chatbox  about this please ignore this sticky note ... Thanks  folks ....

http://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/46369-important~-the-forum-its-future-and-finances/

Clicker and Ryewolf   ADMIN TEAM 

Regretfully we have to once again ask members for  some financial support in order to  keep TIPF  running till December 2023. The more pledges we have to become  FRIEND OF THE FORUM  the less the individual cost will be so  if you want this Forum to continue  please follow the link below  and decide  if you are able to  support us . Thank you all for your support in the past ... it has been appreciated  a great deal ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-important-notice/

Clicker and Ryewolf  ...  Admin Team 

Hi TIPFers 

I AM HERE AGAIN WITH THE  BEGGING BOWL TO ENSURE THE FORUM CAN KEEP GOING ... Please follow  below if you want to  support the continuation  of this Forum and  this  small but friendly community. 

As always your support is  both vital and appreciated ...

Clicker and Ryewolf ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-4th-july-2023/

HELP & ADVICE please

I must admit to being truly puzzled and a little concerned.....is it me....or the camera?

Below I post three versions of the same ot

1: The original RAW file as shot, then seen on my desktop before processing:

2: The same shot, with the AUTO TONE clicked:

3: Same again with a little processing:

All PSDs reduced t JPEGS for posting on here:

What is puzzling, is that JPEGS look great in the camera LCD and in the viewfinder.....and....

FULL JPEGS are vibrant and processedin camera.

It is just the RAW files (as in frst pic) that seem to have a flat colour cast and are very flat and lifeless:

Is this the way the latest Sensors then PCmonitors see untouched RAW files..................or is it me not getting something right?

Have I got a funny camera ....or.....have I got a setting badly wrong?

EXIF should read....A priority........ISO 200......shooting RAW only.......WB on CLOUDY ......Lens LUMIX 17-20 at 1.7..............an expensive very bright pancake lens Panasonic made:

Im dissapointed and puzzled.....

Any ideas please?

HELP!

FUJI

post-4-0-64098500-1395867984.jpg

post-4-0-71039600-1395867998.jpg

My understanding is that a RAW file is just that, raw; no sharpening, no contrast adjustment, no nothing. The result is that they do look flat and unimpressive. JPGs on the other had are processed in camera to produce an acceptable result for viewing.

Am I assuming right and this is how your computer - by that I mean Windows itself - is seeing the RAW file?

If so it will be because you have a new camera and need to update Windows, or wait for it to update so it can process (render if you will) the file correctly. If it is your software doing this then I'm guess ing the same applies. You need to update it so it has the right codec's to be able to handle the new format.

Thanks both.....Yes....BP that very poor looking version is...as-seen on my pC monitor:

Perhaps I should explore the CDs that came with the camera?

Will something be on them?

As far as I could see, they contain freebie photo processing, like Silky PiX.....or....do they contain the all important software update???

Im too tired tonight after a good steak meal and a very large glassof red......I took  'Er indoors out as a peace offering after telling her about my camera purchase ;-)

A very frustrated 

FUJI

Yes but the RAW should look pretty close to how it was on the camera and to the JPEG - not the humongous difference shown above.

does the camera use its jpg conversion algorithm to be able to display it on its display or does it just display the raw file?

HI, again folks

I think I may have cracked it....................I downloaded the latest Adobe DNG converter...............it seems to have worked with an out-of-camera shot of my monitor.

More tests tomorrow.......I will report back afterwards:

Cheers!

FUJI

Ok, here is my assessment of your three pictures. (I can't offer RAW advice as I don't shoot in it).

1. The original RAW : very natural, very filmlike, and to me, the best of the three.

2. What's gone on with that? Where has that awful pale foggy colour cast version come from? Must be something to do with the processing.

3. Over-processed and over-vibrant.

So if 1. is the RAW is it came straight from the camera, I'm not sure what you're seeing wrong. It looks absolutely fine to me. The other two don't - 2. is just horrible and 3. seems too contrasty.

I don't know if that helps, or just confuses the issue. But I definitely prefer shot 1, so I wouldn't be blaming the camera at this stage.

1 is the jpeg.

2 is the RAW (before Fuji updated his software) and the one the post is about.

3 is the processed RAW.

Really? I read Fuji's post wrong then. In that case, the JPEG looks great to me, as it did to Fuji. 

Having said that, the Venus JPEG engine in Lumix cameras has a very strong reputation so I'm not entirely surprised. Certainly JPEGs from my FZ are - according to reviewers - as good as, if not better, than the RAW shots, which is one reason why I've never bothered with RAW from my camera. However, one would expect 4/3 RAW files to be a lot better, so it must be to do with the processing?

Thank you for your on going support folks......a great little debate there.......

I was very tired last night but was determined to crack the problem......downloading the latest DNG converter from Adobe seems to have worked after I took then had a quick look at the RAW version on my monitor.

I was so tired at that point, I went to bed.

Bright eyed and ready to go this morning, I am about to have a practice shoot in the garden, just a couple of test shots..... Since I purchased my LX5 three years ago, I have been using Fatstone software to convert then save my RAWs, this meant changing them into TIFFS.

After the DNG update last night, I noted that the pic opened in ADOBE RAW, a set up I was used to until I updated to CS6 .....

I note that the CD supplied with the new GX7 contains software called ...SILKYPIX......which appears to be the PANASONIC RAW converter.....after I taking my test shotsI will install Silkypix onto the PC to see what that does compared to the DNG software.

After this, if all goes to plan and if I can dodge the forecast thundery showers I will take the camera on a proper test run at our local market.

FUJI

Following on from above...............I HAVE CRACKED IT!!!   :yes

Thank You BP and Richard, and for your observations Chris' your combined replies spurred me on to solve what could have been an extremely frustrating issue, and me making a fool of myself in the London Camera Exchange store where I bought my new camera from.

You will see from the two samples below that all is working as it should now..

The first shot, is just the RAW straight from camera as seen in ADOBE RAW on  my PC monitor, reduced to a JPEG for posting here.

The second shot, is my first fully processed shot....a crop:

Both shots taken through my beautiful little 17-20 LUMIX lens:

Best viewed LARGE........Click on Pics:

I dont think I will bother to install Panasonic's Silkypix....it wont be used.

Thanks again:

FUJI

post-4-0-38430000-1395910495.jpg

post-4-0-11035100-1395910507.jpg

Love that macro flower! Glad you cracked the problem Fuji - yes, Silkypix is the standard RAW processor included with Panasonic cameras. It's actually fine, if a little counter-intuitive to use. Some people prefer the results from Adobe, some from Silkypix, some from yet other RAW converter software. It's all down to personal preference.

Nice you've got it sorted. :) 

I know someone that uses Silky pix and recall gets on well with it.

I have a copy of the program, but it never got installed before due to lack of space on my hard disc at the time. I also use Zoner quite a bit as I get on OK with it.

I may try Silkypix one day when I want a change.

I think if you find a program that you enjoy using then that program will be the one that you get the best results from.