Hi to all our members ... We  would just like to draw your attention to the latest post on the following link... Thank you for your attention .If you have already responded to my note  on Chatbox  about this please ignore this sticky note ... Thanks  folks ....

http://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/46369-important~-the-forum-its-future-and-finances/

Clicker and Ryewolf   ADMIN TEAM 

Regretfully we have to once again ask members for  some financial support in order to  keep TIPF  running till December 2023. The more pledges we have to become  FRIEND OF THE FORUM  the less the individual cost will be so  if you want this Forum to continue  please follow the link below  and decide  if you are able to  support us . Thank you all for your support in the past ... it has been appreciated  a great deal ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-important-notice/

Clicker and Ryewolf  ...  Admin Team 

Hi TIPFers 

I AM HERE AGAIN WITH THE  BEGGING BOWL TO ENSURE THE FORUM CAN KEEP GOING ... Please follow  below if you want to  support the continuation  of this Forum and  this  small but friendly community. 

As always your support is  both vital and appreciated ...

Clicker and Ryewolf ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-4th-july-2023/

I'M SURE I CAN CAN...IF YOU CAN CAN

FUJI

Here I put my case for post- processing:

In Stratford-Upon-Avon this morning, I spotted this very mature lady admiring the Toulouse Lautrec poster sign outside a  Valerie Cafe.

I could see the potential immediately and this is the best of three shots, but, on sseing it on the large PC screen, I couldn't make up my mind which way to process it.

As a Straight colour study?

As a Painting, to imitate the  French Impressionist poster?

or

As a Mono Street Photograph, harking back o the earliest days of photography?

The original RAW shot, is typicaly, rather flat in colour and tones and needs to be sharpened......Some post processing essential?

What would you have done....and...which version do you prefer?

Best viewed LARGE.....Click on Pics:

FUJI

post-4-0-38718500-1389902354.jpg

post-4-0-80764000-1389902368.jpg

post-4-0-31812000-1389902381.jpg

There's something about the simplicity of the three primary colours which is very effective, so for that reason I do like your arty  treatment (middle). However, for me the winner is the B&W version, where the artwork and the old lady kind of 'meet' in a most unexpected way. 

If I'd done the middle one, I think I'd have isolated the old lady and given her an arty treatment to make her more like the poster art, which I'd have left alone - I think that suffers a bit from being given 'art work' it didn't really need.

Thanks Chris......I did mull over that idea.....but if you look closely at the straight version, you will see (annoyingly) that the Can Can Lady is cut out from a very shiny plastic and there are lots of unwanted reflections in it:

I must admit I too prefer the ones that you do................

.....I get into real wrangly photographic arguaments with my new Pro Photographer mate......he doesn't seem capable of appreciating anything other than a ...perfect straight photograph.

Is Photography an ART?....that arguament will last as long as photography does:

FUJI

Thanks Chris......I did mull over that idea.....but if you look closely at the straight version, you will see (annoyingly) that the Can Can Lady is cut out from a very shiny plastic and there are lots of unwanted reflections in it:

I must admit I too prefer the ones that you do................

.....I get into real wrangly photographic arguaments with my new Pro Photographer mate......he doesn't seem capable of appreciating anything other than a ...perfect straight photograph.

Is Photography an ART?....that arguament will last as long as photography does:

FUJI

Do you have a polarising filter? That might sort out those annoying reflections. 

Personally I think anything within reason can be done to a photograph. Ok, at some point you might have to stop calling it a 'photograph', but that's a mere terminology issue. Some of my rejects could ONLY be enhanced by pretty severe meddling, but even some of my better ones can be improved still further. What's a 'straight' photograph when it's at home? After all, if it's impossible to  find a point of comparison between Leonardo da Vinci, Van Gogh, Picasso, and Andy Warhol, I don't see photography embracing a narrower spectrum either.

Do you have a polarising filter? That might sort out those annoying reflections.

Personally I think anything within reason can be done to a photograph. Ok, at some point you might have to stop calling it a 'photograph', but that's a mere terminology issue. Some of my rejects could ONLY be enhanced by pretty severe meddling, but even some of my better ones can be improved still further. What's a 'straight' photograph when it's at home? After all, if it's impossible to find a point of comparison between Leonardo da Vinci, Van Gogh, Picasso, and Andy Warhol, I don't see photography embracing a narrower spectrum either.

Straight Photograph?.........I think that Leon's are as close as we can get........he doesn't do processing.....so it means.....Straight from Camera.

I have tried to explain Street Photography to many folk too.......Street Photographers don't have time to fiddle with filters, flashes, etc, otherwise we lose what Cartier Bresson called ......"That decisive moment" .......that fraction of a second that makes a shot......Ref: his figure jumping over a large puddle recorded for ever.....a fraction of a second before his landing foot disturbs the surface if the water.

It is a matter of keeping a constant eye out for event, happenings, characters, moments, then in a split second moving to get the best composition or angle.

It took me three attempts to get this, the best one......I just needed to wait until the lady turned to leave the scene.

It is surprising just how often I get asked......." What are you doing with your camera?" ....... or........." Are you taking photographs?".....

Sometimes, I am tempted to reply......."NO!......making ruddy custard ;-)

Forgot to mention......I've removed all filters from my lenses.........on the recommendation of a top Street a Photographer .....in the main, they are just another layer of glass......I mean here ...the Skylight filters.

FUJI

Straight Photograph?.........I think that Leon's are as close as we can get........he doesn't do processing.....so it means.....Straight from Camera.

I have tried to explain Street Photography to many folk too.......Street Photographers don't have time to fiddle with filters, flashes, etc, otherwise we lose what Cartier Bresson called ......"That decisive moment" .......that fraction of a second that makes a shot......Ref: his figure jumping over a large puddle recorded for ever.....a fraction of a second before his landing foot disturbs the surface if the water.

It is a matter of keeping a constant eye out for event, happenings, characters, moments, then in a split second moving to get the best composition or angle.

It took me three attempts to get this, the best one......I just needed to wait until the lady turned to leave the scene.

It is surprising just how often I get asked......." What are you doing with your camera?" ....... or........." Are you taking photographs?".....

Sometimes, I am tempted to reply......."NO!......making ruddy custard ;-)

Forgot to mention......I've removed all filters from my lenses.........on the recommendation of a top Street a Photographer .....in the main, they are just another layer of glass......I mean here ...the Skylight filters.

FUJI

The camera I've got, I simply can't be that quick. It turns itself off to save batteries, and by the time you've pressed the switch to put it back on, then seen the "Power Save Cancel" message, then 'pressed any key', the moment has gone. :( If I was to be a proper street photographer I'd have to change my camera.

Nor, sadly, am I in a position to move in a split second. :( :( It's a shame as I'd rather like to do Street Photography.

Archived