Hi to all our members ... We  would just like to draw your attention to the latest post on the following link... Thank you for your attention .If you have already responded to my note  on Chatbox  about this please ignore this sticky note ... Thanks  folks ....

http://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/46369-important~-the-forum-its-future-and-finances/

Clicker and Ryewolf   ADMIN TEAM 

Regretfully we have to once again ask members for  some financial support in order to  keep TIPF  running till December 2023. The more pledges we have to become  FRIEND OF THE FORUM  the less the individual cost will be so  if you want this Forum to continue  please follow the link below  and decide  if you are able to  support us . Thank you all for your support in the past ... it has been appreciated  a great deal ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-important-notice/

Clicker and Ryewolf  ...  Admin Team 

Hi TIPFers 

I AM HERE AGAIN WITH THE  BEGGING BOWL TO ENSURE THE FORUM CAN KEEP GOING ... Please follow  below if you want to  support the continuation  of this Forum and  this  small but friendly community. 

As always your support is  both vital and appreciated ...

Clicker and Ryewolf ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-4th-july-2023/

Mono Conversions - Trying for More Depth

David

I often end up with mono conversions flattening out images, so I have been processing some images pre mono and post mono conversion, trying to create more depth in the images.

I have increased the saturation, vibrance, contrast and clarity in the Raw files before taking into elements and converting to mono

Although I think I have succeeded, I wondered if you think the images have depth to them:

post-819-0-60450500-1389025212.jpg

post-819-0-43515600-1389025282.jpg

This one has also had 5% colour replaced:

I deliberately chose to try these because they didn't have a lot of depth to the colour versions and thought mono might have improved them. The 'mush' look was evident in colour too.

It is an area I want to improve on. I will try some filters Graham, although they are autumn scenes so not all the tree leaves are green

I deliberately chose to try these because they didn't have a lot of depth to the colour versions and thought mono might have improved them. The 'mush' look was evident in colour too.

It is an area I want to improve on. I will try some filters Graham, although they are autumn scenes so not all the tree leaves are green

Even better in Autumn, the golds and brown respond well to yellow and orange filters :)

I just thought on...the birch tree in #1 was the focus so the BG is a little blurred. Maybe a bad example to try lol here is #2 with the green filter added before conversion, I cant see much difference if any though:

post-819-0-74172000-1389026925.jpg

And here it is with yellow and orange filters respectively:

post-819-0-93682600-1389027408.jpg

post-819-0-93682600-1389027408.jpg

I guess you are right Graham. At least they are better than a straight mono conversion lol see next post by me...

I don't know where this image came from or how to edit it out lol:

post-819-0-93456300-1389027428.jpg

Hi, David,

I struggled with exactly the same problems when I began to shoot on mono......until I discovered .....Contrast a Grading .....and......Selective a Sharpening.......please look at my tutorial in the appropriate section of TIPF......it gives you the basics.

FUJI

Thanks for the comments guys

Chris I agree and BP I have heard that said from pro mono shooters too.

The point to this was to use some hard to convert shots to see if depth could be gained because a lot of my conversions (although getting better) still end up being flattened by the mono conversion. I think #2 in the 1st set has worked to an extent and maybe something like silver fx pro might help to convert better than elements.

Fuji, thanks I will have a gander :)

• 1 month later...

Hello David,

I thought I would tackle the depth using the light to dark method by increasing the brightness of some areas and decreasing it in others. Then using the contrast tool on a couple of selected areas at the front.

Not sure that it works that well though

Jim

post-896-0-76179800-1393025961.jpg

I love this thread because it shows TIPF. At it's very best with almost everyone chipping in to help and advise.

Being very honest, I don't think these foliage photographs make good subjects for initiating good mono conversion and processing.

Jem is on the right track by suggesting the lightening and darkening of selected areas, but this needs to be done on separate layers in Photoshop or other editing software.

My basic tutorial, should help to get anyone started on what can be a very daunting task, but, just like learning to drive; after a time, many of the steps become internalized and you carry them out automatically via a combination of hand/eye coordination, plus a little artistic flair.

Using layers, soft brushes, curves or levels any area of a photograph can be lightened or darkened in graduated steps until the desired result is reached.......the secret is, not to make light or dark areas that obviously shouldn't be ...........or vice versa.

When carrying out this kind of processing, use only moderate adjustments with any sliders at or below the half way mark .....that way you build the contrasting areas gradually and naturally.

Once you have the working on layers with soft brushes under your belt, the physical process becomes relatively easy..........what can be more difficult is the amount and placing of the adjusted areas to make your image POP!

The more you prractice, the better you will become......just do it.......don't be put off by occasional faliures ( I get plenty of stick on here if I get it wrong ......but carry on regardless ;-)

FUJI

I love this thread because it shows TIPF. At it's very best with almost everyone chipping in to help and advise.

Being very honest, I don't think these foliage photographs make good subjects for initiating good mono conversion and processing.

Jem is on the right track by suggesting the lightening and darkening of selected areas, but this needs to be done on separate layers in Photoshop or other editing software.

My basic tutorial, should help to get anyone started on what can be a very daunting task, but, just like learning to drive; after a time, many of the steps become internalized and you carry them out automatically via a combination of hand/eye coordination, plus a little artistic flair.

Using layers, soft brushes, curves or levels any area of a photograph can be lightened or darkened in graduated steps until the desired result is reached.......the secret is, not to make light or dark areas that obviously shouldn't be ...........or vice versa.

When carrying out this kind of processing, use only moderate adjustments with any sliders at or below the half way mark .....that way you build the contrasting areas gradually and naturally.

Once you have the working on layers with soft brushes under your belt, the physical process becomes relatively easy..........what can be more difficult is the amount and placing of the adjusted areas to make your image POP!

The more you prractice, the better you will become......just do it.......don't be put off by occasional faliures ( I get plenty of stick on here if I get it wrong ......but carry on regardless ;-)

FUJI

Using Blending Modes (specifically, Lighten and Darken), take a lot of the work and effort out of it.

Thanks for being so nice guys I do appreciate it :-)

What I would do with this image is to make a copy layer (CTRL+J) of it and lighten the whole of that then use a mask and the Brush tool to combine the two. Doing it this way may take longer but it can be done knowing that everything can be reversed as you proceed.

Cheers - Jem

• 1 month later...

Thanks for all the comments guys, sorry I have been away for a while. I don't mind anyone editing my photos as long as they ask first - the reason I have put no to this is for copyright purposes - 99% of the time I will allow it as long as I am asked first. I don't like using to much PP to get results I am looking for, I would much rather shoot again and again until I improve. One of the best formulas I have found for conversions is to get depth to the original shot, say something in the foreground or a more shallow DOF.

Archived