Hi to all our members ... We  would just like to draw your attention to the latest post on the following link... Thank you for your attention .If you have already responded to my note  on Chatbox  about this please ignore this sticky note ... Thanks  folks ....

http://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/46369-important~-the-forum-its-future-and-finances/

Clicker and Ryewolf   ADMIN TEAM 

Regretfully we have to once again ask members for  some financial support in order to  keep TIPF  running till December 2023. The more pledges we have to become  FRIEND OF THE FORUM  the less the individual cost will be so  if you want this Forum to continue  please follow the link below  and decide  if you are able to  support us . Thank you all for your support in the past ... it has been appreciated  a great deal ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-important-notice/

Clicker and Ryewolf  ...  Admin Team 

Hi TIPFers 

I AM HERE AGAIN WITH THE  BEGGING BOWL TO ENSURE THE FORUM CAN KEEP GOING ... Please follow  below if you want to  support the continuation  of this Forum and  this  small but friendly community. 

As always your support is  both vital and appreciated ...

Clicker and Ryewolf ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-4th-july-2023/

Mirror Photography

David

Hi guys I took shots of a glass reflected in a box made from mirror tiles last night. I wasn't happy with most of them.

Has anybody tried a similar set up before? If so how did they turn out? Mine just looked like there was something missing even though there were plenty of reflections.

Here's one I liked, Under green torchlight, I would appreciate comments please

post-819-0-36351000-1386190493.jpg

Curious. I keep coming back for another look and I see what you mean, it doesn't feel complete but trying to define that is rather difficult, so a couple of thinking points that others may contradict or expand upon...

Firstly, the monochromatic effect from the green torch doesn't really fade off into the distance, either in tone or in quantity, so the depth effect is relying on perspective alone, which looks a little strange.

Secondly the fairly shallow depth of field and the number of reflections leads to a 'confusion' in the background which sort of makes it look more like a nighttime cityscape than a series of reflections, would it be worth trying different angles for the mirrors?

I've tried this a few times and never managed anything even close to this and I think you may have inspired me to have another go in the dull winter evenings.

i love the idea but one of the things that spoils the image for me is that the main reflection of the glass curves, the reflections dont sit in a straight line, i dont know if thats because of the angle of the picture of if that is something that is caused by the mirror itself ?

The comments from Bugs are just about spot-on. Maybe another attempt is the way to go.

Perhaps the composition should be a little simpler - for me, it's a bit cluttered, but I do like the fact that it has a triptych look about it.

Korky

Thanks guys, some good points

I tried the side mirrors at different angles and this seemed the best. I agree about the monochrome effect and I will try some more shots, I also think more colours may look better, maybe put some water in the glass and have white light to try to get some prism effects.

Because the camera had to be so close and not having a real wide angle lens, I could only have either the first glass in focus or the line in focus and this looked the best.

I will keep trying and I am also looking at getting some reflective film to put on a plain sheet of glass to create a two way mirror effect, then I can build a complete mirror box and take shots through the two way mirror in different positions. I will need to make sure it is lit from inside though

Thanks Heather and Korky,

I tried, but couldn't stop the curve, only reduce it to this. And I agree about the composition, I tried that glass to try to get some interesting light effects from it, I got so hung up with the shot that I didn't think to maybe try a plain glass, which could have simplified everything

It is definitely something to work on though and I will keep you posted to see how it develops :)

Because the camera had to be so close and not having a real wide angle lens, I could only have either the first glass in focus or the line in focus and this looked the best.

Are you able to move the camera back and then 'crop' the picture afterwards? This would help bring the bottom of the glass into the picture and increase the dof? What f number are you using?

If I move the camera back I lose too much of the inside of the mirror box. (The front mirror is 2/3rds the size of the other mirrors, so I have the camera looking in over the top of the front one.

I tried different camera settings and settled on:

F/22, Exp. 42 sec, ISO 400, 18 - 55mm zoom @ 34mm

Archived