Hi to all our members ... We  would just like to draw your attention to the latest post on the following link... Thank you for your attention .If you have already responded to my note  on Chatbox  about this please ignore this sticky note ... Thanks  folks ....

http://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/46369-important~-the-forum-its-future-and-finances/

Clicker and Ryewolf   ADMIN TEAM 

Regretfully we have to once again ask members for  some financial support in order to  keep TIPF  running till December 2023. The more pledges we have to become  FRIEND OF THE FORUM  the less the individual cost will be so  if you want this Forum to continue  please follow the link below  and decide  if you are able to  support us . Thank you all for your support in the past ... it has been appreciated  a great deal ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-important-notice/

Clicker and Ryewolf  ...  Admin Team 

Hi TIPFers 

I AM HERE AGAIN WITH THE  BEGGING BOWL TO ENSURE THE FORUM CAN KEEP GOING ... Please follow  below if you want to  support the continuation  of this Forum and  this  small but friendly community. 

As always your support is  both vital and appreciated ...

Clicker and Ryewolf ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-4th-july-2023/

Swans & Honeysuckle

Barbara

You might find this a bit odd, but I'd rather just see the manipulated version rather than a before and after thingy. 

The honeysuckle works very well indeed - all the components of the image come together brilliantly.

The swans I'm not sure about. I think it could lose the text and still come over as a strong image - the colour and the texture and the tight crop do the trick, for me the text just isn't needed. 

You're welcome, btw.

Korky

Love the Honeysuckle in the manipulated version but not sure about the text on the swans. I'm with Korky on not really wanting to see the unprocessed images, but since the purpose of this thread is to discuss the technique of "Textures and Overlays & Brushes" it's perfectly acceptable.

Love all the other birds in the original swan shot looking on and thinking, "C'mon you two, go get a room!" :wub:

not too sure about the swan one, i think the text spoils it a bit, quite like the almost tissuepaper effect of the water and background though 

LOVE the honeysuckle one, maybe its because the text is in the background and not over the main subject of the image that makes it work better ?

I like them both in different ways. The honeysuckle has a clever theme going into it with the wood rings.

But for sheer artistic impact the swans get my vote. The main 2 things I like are how the swans look like a real charcoal drawn picture and, although I get the comment about the tissue paper, for me that's just a first impression. when you look at it only the background looks like creases in paper, the swans are smooth. Then it dawns on you that it is an interpretation of the water they are swimming on. It fascinates me and keeps me looking at it and then the image opens up. Maybe it is just me but I think (beneath the text) it's a real work of art.

Thank you all for your lovely comments, I tend to agree about the swans. I wasn't totally satisfied with the text and will probably go back and brush some or all of it out, I am really enjoying this side of PP

Could you say what exactly you did in Photoshop to achieve these, Barbara?

Very difficult to explain Chris and is a steep learning curve, my success rate at the moment isn't too good, its judging the right textures & overlays to use and how to use masks to take out what's not wanted  and what blend modes work 

For the most it is trial and error for me, at times I have flattened an image before saving it as layers and had to start all over again, tear my hair out sometimes 

This is a capture of layers before I eventually saved & cropped, as you can see I still haven't learned to rename each layer so that I know what they actually are (I'm getting there)

Click for larger image

11100068214_190166a041_o.jpg

Very difficult to explain Chris and is a steep learning curve, my success rate at the moment isn't too good, its judging the right textures & overlays to use and how to use masks to take out what's not wanted  and what blend modes work 

For the most it is trial and error for me, at times I have flattened an image before saving it as layers and had to start all over again, tear my hair out sometimes 

This is a capture of layers before I eventually saved & cropped, as you can see I still haven't learned to rename each layer so that I know what they actually are (I'm getting there)

Click for larger image

11100068214_190166a041_o.jpg

That's interesting Barbara. Thanks.

By the way, you can flatten an image before you're ready and all is not lost - just click Undo as many times as it takes to get back to the stage before you flattened.

I've never used masks! I always select using other methods from magnetic lasso (my favourite), to magic wand, magic extractor, etc, then create a new layer from the selection. I know the tutorials are always talking about masks, but I've never learned how to use them and have always found another way to get to the same end. As for blend modes, they always scared the bejabus out of me, but I have actually started to use them a few times - once you learn what they do, they are less scary. Even so, I've only ever found a use for about a third of the modes.

I suppose with Photoshop, there's always several ways to skin a cat.

Archived