Hi to all our members ... We  would just like to draw your attention to the latest post on the following link... Thank you for your attention .If you have already responded to my note  on Chatbox  about this please ignore this sticky note ... Thanks  folks ....

http://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/46369-important~-the-forum-its-future-and-finances/

Clicker and Ryewolf   ADMIN TEAM 

Regretfully we have to once again ask members for  some financial support in order to  keep TIPF  running till December 2023. The more pledges we have to become  FRIEND OF THE FORUM  the less the individual cost will be so  if you want this Forum to continue  please follow the link below  and decide  if you are able to  support us . Thank you all for your support in the past ... it has been appreciated  a great deal ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-important-notice/

Clicker and Ryewolf  ...  Admin Team 

Hi TIPFers 

I AM HERE AGAIN WITH THE  BEGGING BOWL TO ENSURE THE FORUM CAN KEEP GOING ... Please follow  below if you want to  support the continuation  of this Forum and  this  small but friendly community. 

As always your support is  both vital and appreciated ...

Clicker and Ryewolf ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-4th-july-2023/

Castle Eden Burn

David

I took this about a week ago. I used an ND filter to cut down the light so I could use a longer shutter speed to achieve the 'milky' effect of the flowing water

attachicon.gifMilky-Flowing-Water.jpg

One of my pet hates I'm afraid David - I'm 'old school' and I remember when Amateur Photographer advised us to use 1/15 or 1/30 second to obtain motion blur in water. I feel that 'milky' water shows absolutely no motion whatever. It's just frozen still at the opposite end of the shutter speed range. I realise there's room for all sorts, but this is what I personally aim for (yours is a better composition!):

post-677-0-00653600-1384807034.jpg

Ahh I see Chris. Yes I totally understand, what I like about shots like that is...in my yes, its an 'arty' look that to me enhances the overall composition. The shot you show does show motion of water and allows your imagination to picture the scene as the photograph was taken, in fact you can almost hear the river flowing as you look at it. There is indeed a place for everything and you can't please all of the people all of the time! 

Thanks Kate, :yes  looking at it more critically I may have got carried away with the milkiness and maybe another time I should use a slightly faster shutter speed, but I am still experimenting with this type of shot and maybe by toning it down I can keep an 'arty' look by showing more of the water and just a hint of the 'milkiness'. Not giving up on it completely though.

That's what I like about this forum, honest constructive criticism :)

Thanks guys you have made me stand back and look at it more objectively

I avoid all this controversy by not photographing water at all - I just stick to having a drop of the stuff in a large Jameson's of a weekend.

A nice shot, David - I like how the milkyness sort of drifts into stillness and clarity. 

Korky

Thanks Korky I liked that too, and like I said, I didn't try for the milkiness to show movement I just like the 'arty' look of it. But I will be experimenting more with it to varying degrees, in fact after all the rain and hail and sleet (and thunder) we had tonight, I will be back down tomorrow to see how much the little old burn has risen and how fast it will be flowing...so, love it or hate it... watch this space :)

Seriously though I love experimenting with different camera effects and try my best to add a little art to my photography on occasions, however limited my skills may be :)

Sorry, Chris. I thought David had posted two. My eyes getting me into trouble again.  :blushing:  but I am learning from yours too, as you have posted the settings.

Both pics are good in their own right, as each has a different view.

That's ok Tina. I have to say that my picture above, was one of the very very few times I've ever gone into Shutter Priority mode on my FZ38 so I was kind of 'learning on the job'!

I went back yesterday but the little burn had become an angry river and I couldn't wade through to that point. There was also too much mud in the water to get any decent photos

However there are one or two I am thinking of uploading later from further down which kind of work, despite the river being the colour of tea!

Archived