Hi to all our members ... We  would just like to draw your attention to the latest post on the following link... Thank you for your attention .If you have already responded to my note  on Chatbox  about this please ignore this sticky note ... Thanks  folks ....

http://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/46369-important~-the-forum-its-future-and-finances/

Clicker and Ryewolf   ADMIN TEAM 

Regretfully we have to once again ask members for  some financial support in order to  keep TIPF  running till December 2023. The more pledges we have to become  FRIEND OF THE FORUM  the less the individual cost will be so  if you want this Forum to continue  please follow the link below  and decide  if you are able to  support us . Thank you all for your support in the past ... it has been appreciated  a great deal ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-important-notice/

Clicker and Ryewolf  ...  Admin Team 

Hi TIPFers 

I AM HERE AGAIN WITH THE  BEGGING BOWL TO ENSURE THE FORUM CAN KEEP GOING ... Please follow  below if you want to  support the continuation  of this Forum and  this  small but friendly community. 

As always your support is  both vital and appreciated ...

Clicker and Ryewolf ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-4th-july-2023/

The Midland in Mono

Martyn

With the 35mm f1.8 on the Nikon D5100 I took these shots of the art deco Midland Hotel in Morecambe. The sun had set 30 minutes ago, and since the colours were very poor I decided to try a mono conversion.

10544575133_6cec912103_b.jpg

10544813883_91f559a9f1_b.jpg

10544712015_04f1d9a71a_b.jpg

The third one in particular works best for me with the light drawing the viewer up the steps, although I like all three.

An interesting concept to shoot this style of building at this time and I think it's worked well with the conversion. Without the colour, the eye is almost forced to concentrate on the detail of the structure instead of the visual impact.

I wonder if a slight increase in contrast would either lift a bit more detail and impact, or if it would spoil the twilight effect?

A great effort all round Martyn.........with third shot bring the easy winner........an excellent study with bags of hidden but readily available potential, especially if shot in RAW...........By learning then using the adjustments to contrast in photo software, you could make it jump off the page.

FUJI

Thank you all for the kind comments. This was my first attempt at shooting with a mono conversion in mind. I actually uploaded these pics to the forum and previewed the post three times then deleted them because I thought I could do better.

The second was my favourite, then I spotted what Bugs has already mentioned, the steps drawing the eye into the third picture. So I went back and worked it a bit more.

A great effort all round Martyn.........with third shot bring the easy winner........an excellent study with bags of hidden but readily available potential, especially if shot in RAW...........By learning then using the adjustments to contrast in photo software, you could make it jump off the page.

FUJI

If you want to expand on that Fuji, I'm all ears because I really admire your mono work. They are shot in raw NEF format and I use Lightroom 5.2.

A fantastic improvement Martyn...........lots better, but I still think that you could increase that lovely soft brightness from that lamp where it falls on the curved wall, not evenly but graduated to enhance that curve.

Can I suggest also that you darken ( very carefully) the small patches of brightness in the sky just underneath the globe of the lamp........just experiment by hiding it, and you should see what I mean.

You are getting there........use the artist within you to visualise what YOU feel is right...........try not to be too heavy handed at any point, and beware of creating halos .....the enemy of good post processing.

Study other good mono work.

Have fun!

FUJI

Archived