Hi to all our members ... We  would just like to draw your attention to the latest post on the following link... Thank you for your attention .If you have already responded to my note  on Chatbox  about this please ignore this sticky note ... Thanks  folks ....

http://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/46369-important~-the-forum-its-future-and-finances/

Clicker and Ryewolf   ADMIN TEAM 

Regretfully we have to once again ask members for  some financial support in order to  keep TIPF  running till December 2023. The more pledges we have to become  FRIEND OF THE FORUM  the less the individual cost will be so  if you want this Forum to continue  please follow the link below  and decide  if you are able to  support us . Thank you all for your support in the past ... it has been appreciated  a great deal ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-important-notice/

Clicker and Ryewolf  ...  Admin Team 

Hi TIPFers 

I AM HERE AGAIN WITH THE  BEGGING BOWL TO ENSURE THE FORUM CAN KEEP GOING ... Please follow  below if you want to  support the continuation  of this Forum and  this  small but friendly community. 

As always your support is  both vital and appreciated ...

Clicker and Ryewolf ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-4th-july-2023/

To HDR or Not

Black Pearl

I posted this HDR shot in another post and said I wasn't happy with it - I'm still not but can't quite put a finger on it.

post-22123-0-38113200-1382777242.jpg

It was suggested I post the original file - below - as you can see the contrast range was/is enormous so thats why at the time of taking I decided to shoot three images and HDR it.

I sat this morning and worked the single file in Lightroom to see if the detail could be pulled out and the contrast tamed.

I have to say LR is quite remarkable and I think I've finally got a shot I'm happy with:

Its not perfect but I don't want to fiddle any more as I've over 300 other images to chimp through......yes you are going to be "Laked" to death over the coming days.

I prefer No3 because it looks more natural... like the human eyes would see it. No1 looks like a painting as do most HDR shots... at least to me anyway. IMO photography is about capturing the scene as our eyes see things... I realise not everyone is going to agree, but that doesn't bother me.

I prefer the Lightroom version, but you could do with the equivalent of a levels adjustment on the bridge and fg (excluding the river) to up the contrast and bring some highlights into the grass which is a bit flat compared to the rest.

Lightroom is a super tool.

I think the third one is just right - it looks more like a photo and less like an oil painting. There's a bit less contrast in the sky but there's no evidence of HDR. For what it's worth, the Shadows/Highlights sliders in iPhoto are pretty good too : they would have pulled similar detail out of the dark areas but probably with a marked amount of noise if it was a JPEG. But I would never have ended up with the #3 shot you got, which you could probably sell to a picture agency with no trouble at all!!

Yes, #3 is my clear favourite.  :yes 

That Colin is a very good point.

The middle shot isn't useable and nothing I could have done at the time of taking it would have produces a great shot. If I had still been using film (specifically large format sheet film) I could have exposed and developed the shot to maximise dynamic range then I could have 'mucked about' with the shot under the enlarger but would that be wrong? Is doing the same with Lightroom or Photoshop any worse? 

I don't have rigid rules. I will try to get a shot right at the time it is taken if that is possible. I will take a shot knowing it will need a certain 'process' added to it on the computer and I will "Photoshop" an image if I feel it is right to do so. 

Photography is all about the end result.

I believe that the way to that result isn't really important and any image presented to the public should be able to be: A. viewed in its own right and B. judged as a final result. 

i have to say that TIPF is very good at judging the final image and not the process - for that we should be very proud!

Archived