Hi to all our members ... We  would just like to draw your attention to the latest post on the following link... Thank you for your attention .If you have already responded to my note  on Chatbox  about this please ignore this sticky note ... Thanks  folks ....

http://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/46369-important~-the-forum-its-future-and-finances/

Clicker and Ryewolf   ADMIN TEAM 

Regretfully we have to once again ask members for  some financial support in order to  keep TIPF  running till December 2023. The more pledges we have to become  FRIEND OF THE FORUM  the less the individual cost will be so  if you want this Forum to continue  please follow the link below  and decide  if you are able to  support us . Thank you all for your support in the past ... it has been appreciated  a great deal ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-important-notice/

Clicker and Ryewolf  ...  Admin Team 

Hi TIPFers 

I AM HERE AGAIN WITH THE  BEGGING BOWL TO ENSURE THE FORUM CAN KEEP GOING ... Please follow  below if you want to  support the continuation  of this Forum and  this  small but friendly community. 

As always your support is  both vital and appreciated ...

Clicker and Ryewolf ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-4th-july-2023/

Nifty fifty?

I have been asked to do a baby bump portrait in a month or so (when she's nearly due to pop), something I'm only just getting the hang of is portraits.

I keep reading that a 50mm F1.8 (cant afford 1.2 or 1.4)  is this something you have any experience of?

the portrait will probably be done infront of a large window using natural light then converted to B&W, I think for this subject the Cliches are acceptable?

if you do not agree can you recommend a good portrait lens to really blow out the background, I want to make a good impression.

and make her "pop" in a nice way :)

The big plus of the nifty fifty in a situation like this is the wide aperture which, at f1.8 will give you the shallow depth of field ideal for portraits. I would say to watch out that you don't get it too shallow and lose definition due to the curve of the bump.  Whichever lens you use, take a series of pictures at different apertures so you're not relying on just one depth of field.

(plus the nifty fifty is a relatively cheap lens especially for the job it does.)

For portraits a lot of people will use an 85mm lens on a full frame camera and a 50mm lens will give about the same angle of view on a cropping sensor camera.

A suggestion would be to get someone to stand/sit in the same position and try different setups, just to make sure you can get enough of the lady and bump into the camera field of view before the actual shoot. If you can't get far enough back, then you may need a wider lens although that may give distortion, or you may need to adjust the position she'll be in.

As far as cliches.. nothing wrong with that at all in a situation like this. Ask her what she wants is the main suggestion though.

one final thing...    good luck with what is a very personal moment that they are asking to you record. Going by your work, you will do a sterling job.

• Like 1

what I think you should do is, ask your lovely young lady to help you practice, get her to stand in front of a window or doorway with the light behind and using a pillow in the normal place try out all your lenses and using different camera settings, some shots by hand others using a tripod.

trying different poses and angles will give you the confidence when you go to do the real shoot.

I think it is easier to do a shoot like this when you don't know the person, as long as you know what type of shot they want.

geoff

• Like 1

You may find these useful for ideas:-

http://www.ephotozine.com/article/portrait-lengths---a-practical-guide-4928

http://www.digitalcameraworld.com/2012/10/04/maternity-photography-ideas-17-tips-for-pregnancy-photos-shell-cherish-forever/

http://www.clickinmoms.com/blog/easy-tips-for-creating-better-maternity-photos-by-leah-cook/

http://www.parents.com/pregnancy/my-life/beauty/beautiful-pregnant-belly-photos/

The reason the 50mm was the standard lens pre-zooms on 35mm cameras in the past is it's angle of view approximates that of the human eye so perspective looks normal. Therefore avoid anything that is wider angle than it's equivalent on digital or it will unnaturally distort the subject, better to move back with a longer focal length than to use a wide angle in order to be able to photograph from closer.

Edited by DaveW

I have been asked to do a baby bump portrait in a month or so (when she's nearly due to pop), something I'm only just getting the hang of is portraits.

I keep reading that a 50mm F1.8 (cant afford 1.2 or 1.4)  is this something you have any experience of?

you mean the lens or the bump? :-)

love my fifty and I would recommend using one but you do need to practice a little and get used to not being able to zoom.

And I too would suggest you use something to throw light back on your subject, get someone to hold a piece of white paper or card, sellotape a couple or three sheets of A4 together if you don't have anything bigger.

I would suggest you don't use a tripod it will only get in the way and being 'free' will give you more flexibility and let you look at your camera settings without feeling clumsy.

Keep the iso down as much as poss certainly below 400iso to reduce noise, shoot in Aperture mode start around F2.8 take several shots and adjust the aperture until you have the lens wide open, generally focus on her nearest eye and keep her nose within her facial area.

Best of Luck and lets see a few of the practice shots.

the fifty is a great lens, the "bang per buck" is immense.  Lovely sharp lens, I've even used it for landscapes!

Some great advice in the thread - reflector's would be great, and it potentially gives Dad something to do so he feels part of it :-)

wow thanks for the advice.  I'v been watching a few on ebay but they are bringing enough to buy one nearly new!!  ill keep looking or I think I may need to change my xmas wishlist, bin off the Flash for a nifty, that'll mean doing the baby bump with the kit lens, sure I'll manage though :)

wow thanks for the advice.  I'v been watching a few on ebay but they are bringing enough to buy one nearly new!!  ill keep looking or I think I may need to change my xmas wishlist, bin off the Flash for a nifty, that'll mean doing the baby bump with the kit lens, sure I'll manage though :)

If that's the far end of your kit lens (like the great old Tamron 28-80 zoom) then it will probably serve you well, and any slight softening over a prime lens will a) suit the occasion, and b) can be ironed out in Photoshop if necessary with an Unsharp Mask set to 50-100% at 0.5 pixels.

"are people mental??"

I once did some work for an auctioneer and he said it is known in their trade as "auction fever" the characteristic in many humans that "I will not be beaten or outbid".  He showed me a case of washing up liquid and said "when the auction gets going probably somebody will keep on bidding so as not be beaten and pay more for them than they could get them at the local supermarket".

EBAY has become the same, in my other hobby if you stick "rare" on even a common or badly grown plant it will sell for much more than they could get it from a cactus dealer for. For instance this badly grown plant has had a growth check and then restarted again (no such thing as a 2 ball type!) yet is listed at £80, but at least it did not sell. I was given one just as large for free just a month or so ago by another collector who wanted to get rid of it!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/cactus-plant-2-ball-type-/281097942478?pt=UK_HomeGarden_Garden_PlantsSeedsBulbs_JN&hash=item4172be35ce#ht_95wt_958

Always set your price limit beforehand in auctions and don't get carried away and exceed it.